UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Siena tickets

Well, it's less than two weeks away -- how does everyone see our chances against Siena this year? I'll give credit where credit is due, and the win against Stanford is a good win for Siena. Regardless of whether Stanford was deserving of a #20 ranking, they nonetheless were ranked #20. Did anyone on this Forum happen to go to the Stanford game yesterday in the afternoon? I heard they only drew about 6,000 fans. It looked quiet there from what I saw on TV (minus the students who went onto the court after the game).

They could be ripe for the pickings.....they are running around and most of them (fans) have lost their damn mind. I hope they continue to stay this confident. It was a very very very good win for them. They will be a sizable favorite and we will be a dog almost everywhere you look. With that said.....they were the dog against Stanford and pulled it out....it works both ways, they could very well be overconfident and end up losing. We were supposed to be the favorites the last two games and ended up losing. After watching us yesterday....blow the doors of a team who lost by 14 to Ohio I'm not terrified of this game. It should be a great challenge.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At last year's UAlbany / siena game, I overheard a heated exchange between fans. What I took away from listening was the old 'slander' coming from a private school student against a public school student.... Generally stating that the UAlbany student could not afford a private school

What I immediately thought of was this...

Siena's tuition is probably around 30k per year. The only thing Siena is noted for, from what I've heard over my lifetime is the basketball team. None of their academic programs are recognized as nationally competitive.

Albany's tuition is only 4k. Albany has a handful of academic programs ranked in the top 10 in the nation. Albany also has its Nanoscale Science and Engineering College, which is ranked #1 in the world. Albany has far superior athletic programs, including Football. Siena cut out its division 5 program years back.

My thinking on the matter concluded with this:

For those few who attend Siena on a scholarship, they are fortunate not to be wasting any money.

For those students who take out massive student loans for a college such as Siena, it's a shame for them to accumulate all of that debt for a mediocre education.

For those students who's parents pay for their tuition: it appears they weren't able to get into a high quality private college. They are dishing out $120k for nothing.

120k - 16k = 104k

$104k more in tuition, for far far less of an education.

At least they have a respectable basketball program.

At last year's UAlbany / siena game, I overheard a heated exchange between fans. What I took away from listening was the old 'slander' coming from a private school student against a public school student.... Generally stating that the UAlbany student could not afford a private school

Siena's tuition is probably around 30k per year. The only thing Siena is noted for, from what I've heard over my lifetime is the basketball team. None of their academic programs are recognized as nationally competitive.

Albany's tuition is only 4k. Albany has a handful of academic programs ranked in the top 10 in the nation. Albany also has its Nanoscale Science and Engineering College, which is ranked #1 in the world. Albany has far superior athletic programs, including Football. Siena cut out its division 5 program years back.

For those few who attend Siena on a scholarship, they are fortunate not to be wasting any money.

For those students who take out massive student loans for a college such as Siena, it's a shame for them to accumulate all of that debt for a mediocre education.

For those students who's parents pay for their tuition: it appears they weren't able to get into a high quality private college. They are dishing out $120k for nothing.

120k - 16k = 104k

Agreed. From their perspective, I suppose, smaller class sizes would probably be one of the advantages to a Siena education.

The Siena win over Stanford is a big deal. They deserve credit - at least until we find out exactly how good or bad Stanford turns out to be.

Why was the attendance so dismal? I remember about 6 months ago when half the seats in the Pepsi were bagged off permanently. Sienistas on here were quick to puke out the number of inevitable 10,000+ games on their 2007-08 schedule. The Stanford game was one of them. This would be a game that Albany locals couldn't refuse.

They should remember before mouthing off in the future: only one of their game's even approaches 10K. And starting next year - for putting 12,000 asses in their seats, UA demands an equitable revenue split and fairness in seating.

The Siena win over Stanford is a big deal. They deserve credit - at least until we find out exactly how good or bad Stanford turns out to be.

Why was the attendance so dismal? I remember about 6 months ago when half the seats in the Pepsi were bagged off permanently. Sienistas on here were quick to puke out the number of inevitable 10,000+ games on their 2007-08 schedule. The Stanford game was one of them. This would be a game that Albany locals couldn't refuse.

They should remember before mouthing off in the future: only one of their game's even approaches 10K. And starting next year - for putting 12,000 asses in their seats, UA demands an equitable revenue split and fairness in seating.

"Sienistas"....that made me LOL....thanks King. The funny thing is that some of them are trying to make the point that UA needs this game more. When in fact they stand to lose a ton more by not having this game....primarily the financial windfall they get from getting 11K-12K into that building.

"Sienistas"....that made me LOL....thanks King. The funny thing is that some of them are trying to make the point that UA needs this game more. When in fact they stand to lose a ton more by not having this game....primarily the financial windfall they get from getting 11K-12K into that building.

Quick question bosiydid:Why do you think the game is a financial windfall for Siena? I believe Ualb makes off the Siena game than any other home game all year

Quick question bosiydid:Why do you think the game is a financial windfall for Siena? I believe Ualb makes off the Siena game than any other home game all year

SienaTony:

While I don't necessarily challenge that conclusion yet, what is the source of your information?

[Quick question bosiydid:Why do you think the game is a financial windfall for Siena? I believe Ualb makes off the Siena game than any other home game all year

SienaTony:

While I don't necessarily challenge that conclusion yet, what is the source of your information?

How many tickets does Albany sell to the game?

There are a number of variables that determine whether UAlbany makes any money, if any money at all, on the Siena game. To name just a few variables, operating costs of a game at the SEFCU, amount paid to the TUC/Siena for our endzone section(s) to the Siena game (considering the cost of acquiring those tickets and selling them for $20 through our own Box Office), number of tickets bought and old for the Siena game as compared to number of tickets sold for an average home game. All said, there is a lot of information needed before we can conclude (or, indeed, speculate or use conjecture) whether UAlbany makes money on the Siena game.

Why is the UA game a good source of revenue for Siena?

I would think a $120,000 education includes at least one course in economics. But then again, evolution remains a foul word on the Loudenville campus. And its always remarkable how those who refute evolution are typically the least evolved themselves.

120k - 16k = 104k

Kingdane, is there talk going about next year and seating?

If we don't get one whole side of the Times Union Center for UAlbany, then I prefer to say the hell with the game.

They can come to SEFCU, and we'll give them two whole rows of seats in one section.

UAlbany has been educating, and educating educators, since 1844.

Siena started in 1937 educating ex-servicemen from the military.

Tony,

Simply because you get DOUBLE the amount of people into the arena then you do for any other game on your schedule. Granted....you don't get the full 11-12K because UA keeps (from what I can gather) the proceeds from 3000 tickets sold, but I'd be shocked if some percentage of that doesn't go back to Siena/TUC. Standford was to be a marquee game on your schedule and it didn't even come close to drawing what Siena-UA will draw. We are talking 10's of thousands of dollars.

Guys, let's temporarily drop this topic and focus on the Lehigh game. LCCTony just wants to get us riled up. I started a thread on the Lehigh game and posted what little information I could find on Lehigh. This is yet another important game for us, so let's start the talk and get to the game tomorrow at the SEFCU! :D

Why is the UA game a good source of revenue for Siena?

I would think a $120,000 education includes at least one course in economics. But then again, evolution remains a foul word on the Loudenville campus. And its always remarkable how those who refute evolution are typically the least evolved themselves.

It's spelled 'Loudonville' genius.

I love to see an argument over academics on a college basketball forum.

Archived