UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Siena tickets

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quick question bosiydid:Why do you think the game is a financial windfall for Siena? I believe Ualb makes off the Siena game than any other home game all year

This was covered last season with the assumption that Siena could draw 10,000 against another good opponent in a home and home. We now know that is not the case and they have even given up trying. If you still truly don't understand, you are the slowest person out there. Siena-Stanford series. Last season Siena sells 0 tickets. This season Siena sells 6,274 tickets. Total 6,274. Albany at Siena , last season sells 11,271 tickets. I'll be generous and deduct 3,000 tickets for UA even though I believe the actual number is 1500. This generously nets to 8,271 tickets for Siena and is already higher than marquee opponent Stanford even before this years game starts. We'll know in 2 weeks the number to add to the 8,271 to accurately compare the 2 year total.

Quick question bosiydid:Why do you think the game is a financial windfall for Siena? I believe Ualb makes off the Siena game than any other home game all year

This was covered last season with the assumption that Siena could draw 10,000 against another good opponent in a home and home. We now know that is not the case and they have even given up trying. If you still truly don't understand, you are the slowest person out there. Siena-Stanford series. Last season Siena sells 0 tickets. This season Siena sells 6,274 tickets. Total 6,274. Albany at Siena , last season sells 11,271 tickets. I'll be generous and deduct 3,000 tickets for UA even though I believe the actual number is 1500. This generously nets to 8,271 tickets for Siena and is already higher than marquee opponent Stanford even before this years game starts. We'll know in 2 weeks the number to add to the 8,271 to accurately compare the 2 year total.

I think everyone will agree that if the Stanford game was played in mid-January, it would have been a sell-out. For many sports fans, it's too early to get excited about college basketball.

The Albany game will always be a great draw because of the strong local interest and fan support on both sides. Playing the game on a Saturday evening also helps.

I think everyone will agree that if the Stanford game was played in mid-January, it would have been a sell-out. For many sports fans, it's too early to get excited about college basketball.

The Albany game will always be a great draw because of the strong local interest and fan support on both sides. Playing the game on a Saturday evening also helps.

The timing of the Stanford game is really irrelevant. You don't know how each team would fare in the meantime. Let's say that Stanford is vastly overrated - and right now, I would say that they are overrated, then the game in mid-January would not draw nearly as much interest as you have suggested.

At the same time, let's say that Siena tanks - for whatever reason - less likely than Stanford's drop, but injuries, player suspension do occur, then again the game would draw less interest.

I also need to remind you that UA had a sellout last year for its first game of the season. When the game is played within the season is not a very relevant argument as to spectator draw. As a Siena fan, I would be very concerned that my team drew only the crowd it did. It's not a very good showing for a team on the march.

I agree with Olddog71

If the game was played in mid January, we would have a whole different set excuses why it didn't sell out. "It was too cold." "There was too much snow." "It is going against the NFL playoffs"

You would think if there was as much interest in Siena basketball as you guys like to claim there is, you could get more than 6,274 people to show up for a home opener against a team like Stanford. Especially since Siena was coming off a better than expected showing in Syracuse.

Lastly a team like Stanford is not going to interrupt their conference schedule in January to play a non televised road game across the country.

saints 73 - First off let me congratulate Siena for a GREAT win!!!

As for not selling out 8,000 seats shame on Siena.

Stanford is a nationally recognize University, Siena should have been able to get atleast 10,000 into the Knick/Pepsi/TUC Arena without blinking and eye.

The Times Union gave you all the ink possible - hyping the game played at their arena. They're paying the big bucks to have their name associated with it.

There were no local distraction at the time of the game.

For Siena playing Stanford to drawing around 1700 more then UA play Columbia speaks volumes about the efforts of your administration and a weakening of your fan base. You guys use to average 7,000+.

A Siena - Marist game this season should draw well over 6,000 so one would expect for Stanford the garbage bags would be removed to accomodate around 10,000

With that said it still was a GREAT win against a nationally recognizable institution.

Not worth it....saints73 is one of, if not the WORST Siena poster out there. Arguing with him and winning the argument (very easy to do) is like participating in the Special Olympics, after you've won you realize you're still retarded.

Example? I didn't think so BOCEdid.

saints73,

Real quick, if you don't mind....."It's very clear that they are headed towards a mediocore season and possible sub .500 record. I also expect their average attendance will drop like Bray Quinn's stock did on Saturday. Let's say ~1,500 fans by the middle of conference play. " - saints73 (5/01/07)

This is just one quote from you that is completely idiotic, there are many more like it. Oh....before I forget, it's spelled 'mediocre' genius.

NOT the UA alum73, he's an intelligent and wonderful human being!! -UA73

Dane Pound can you validate the above statement or is the poster stretching the facts?????? And if so should he be banned for spreading propaganda on this board?

I don't know that I can say that for everyone but I can verify that statement.

To me it doesn't make sense to argue who benefits from the Siena-Albany game. Both schools do. Siena gets a home game every year with the subsequent financial benefits and Albany gets a six mile "road" game which they likely get finacially compensated similar to a home game. For both Albany and Siena fans if the series were cancelled most of us would see our team play one less time a year (every other year) because they'd really be on the road. I don't think any fan really wants that.

My major beef with this game as an Albany fan is the way the seating is distrubuted. I'll pay more for the ticket at the TUC than any other ticket this year (barring the NCAA which I would happily pay) and get the worst seat I'll have all year. To me that's a legitimiate beef and I can't imagine how Siena fans would howl if it were the other way around.

NOT the UA alum73, he's an intelligent and wonderful human being!! -UA73

Dane Pound can you validate the above statement or is the poster stretching the facts?????? And if so should he be banned for spreading propaganda on this board?

Aren't exagerations the norm on message boards?

To me it doesn't make sense to argue who benefits from the Siena-Albany game. Both schools do. Siena gets a home game every year with the subsequent financial benefits and Albany gets a six mile "road" game which they likely get finacially compensated similar to a home game. For both Albany and Siena fans if the series were cancelled most of us would see our team play one less time a year (every other year) because they'd really be on the road. I don't think any fan really wants that.

My major beef with this game as an Albany fan is the way the seating is distrubuted. I'll pay more for the ticket at the TUC than any other ticket this year (barring the NCAA which I would happily pay) and get the worst seat I'll have all year. To me that's a legitimiate beef and I can't imagine how Siena fans would howl if it were the other way around.

Dane Pound,

You make nothing but spot-on statements in your post.

The game is a nightmare for many, if not most, UA fans. The general UA fan pays much more for a ticket and receives a much poorer seat on average than for a game at SEFCU. Even Siena fans who are not season ticket holders pay jacked-up prices for a seat than they would for almost any other home game. I would think that whoever is responsible for setting the prices, whether it be Siena College or, more likely, the TUC management would realize that they could pack more people in the unbagged arena by lowering prices. Last year both teams promised improvement from the previous season and proved it. Last year's game should have been a sellout.

I know some of you posters here get tired of my ranting and raving on this topic, but this year I have decided to do something about it on a personal level.

(1) I am not attending this year's game. I refuse to drive a long distance to pay a relatively large amount of money to sit uncomfortably for several hours to see a game from an unacceptable distance. For me, financial and rump reality has finally struck.

(2) After last year's experience, I emailed Dr. McElroy about my feelings about the game and its current setup. You guys here prompted me to do something. I did not receive a response, but I can imagine that if he receives many other similar communications from other UA fans that he will have more ammunition to bring with him to the negotiating table.

Archived