UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Binghamton University Law School?

UAlbany09

this is an excerpt from the Binghamton University Free Press for Thursday, November 15th, 2007:

"News and gossip about the possibility of a law school has flurried around Binghamton University's academic departments. Gail Glover, Director of Media Relations at Binghamton, said 'As part of the University's strategic plans to both leverage its strengths and expand education opportunities for students, Binghamton University is proposing to establish a law school.' However, the process seems to be moving slowly as no time line has been determined. Those involved believe that a plan for something this magnitude should be perfected before executed. Dara Silberstein, Associate Dean of Graduate Studies, said that the law school was something 'briefly discussed, with no major decisions on it'.......Richard Ludwick, Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs at Albany Law School, said that the effect of a BU Law School on Albany Law is, 'One of those things that you can't know until it happens.'"

Thoughts?

this is an excerpt from the Binghamton University Free Press for Thursday, November 15th, 2007:

"News and gossip about the possibility of a law school has flurried around Binghamton University's academic departments. Gail Glover, Director of Media Relations at Binghamton, said 'As part of the University's strategic plans to both leverage its strengths and expand education opportunities for students, Binghamton University is proposing to establish a law school.' However, the process seems to be moving slowly as no time line has been determined. Those involved believe that a plan for something this magnitude should be perfected before executed. Dara Silberstein, Associate Dean of Graduate Studies, said that the law school was something 'briefly discussed, with no major decisions on it'.......Richard Ludwick, Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs at Albany Law School, said that the effect of a BU Law School on Albany Law is, 'One of those things that you can't know until it happens.'"

Thoughts?

Initial thoughts - Pipe dream.

The SUNY system already has a pretty solid law school (Buffalo) so Binghamton would start off (at best) as the second best law school at state tuition (3rd if Cornell's law school has state tuition, but I don't think it does). There may be people who would choose to move to Binghamton because of the location, but I've never met such a person and I'm having trouble imagining what could possible go through their heads while making such a decision.

Oh, and BU already has a law school (http://www.bu.edu/law/).

Would have to go through the regents-- Doubt they are going to spend the $$$ to build a new school from scratch BEFORE making a bid for Albany Law School.

I would see a merger with Albany and UALbany before a Bing Law school from scratch.

Although I'd love to see UA and ALS merge, it won't be happening any time soon. The current Administration and powers that be would like to distance themselves from UA if anything, because they already get mistaken for a state school sometimes.

For a school that in the first sentence describes itself as "the nation's oldest independent school of law and... one of the finest" they take it as something of an insult (even though there is a 3+3 program). If you are right that a merger would happen before a Binghamton Law School, then I feel confident saying that I'll see neither in my lifetime.

My gf is a Binghamton undergrad alum (I know I know..lol) and when I emailed her this article, she said that there have been 'talks' like this about creating a Bingo law school for as long as she could remember and that (obviously) nothing ever comes from it.

Seems like just chatter to me.

With regard to the above posted link to the law school, I'm just pointing out here that that link quoted above is for Boston University and not Bingo ... (just an oversight I'm sure). But the poster's point remains just as viable ...

The link was surely in jest. Bing tries to co-opt the BU initialism from a conference rival with a lot widely known name, they get owned in other ways in return :lol: .

With regard to the above posted link to the law school, I'm just pointing out here that that link quoted above is for Boston University and not Bingo ... (just an oversight I'm sure). But the poster's point remains just as viable ...

The link was surely in jest. Bing tries to co-opt the BU initialism from a conference rival with a lot widely known name, they get owned in other ways in return :lol: .

It was in jest. The original post mistakenly referred to Binghamton University as BU and I was pointing out that the real BU (Boston University) already has a law school.

UA_MA, I'll have to figure out some sort of code to put into my posts so you can tell when I am joking, since it doesn't come across over the 'net. :lol:

And Bingo ain't gettin' no law school.

Too many law schools in NY already (15).

Too many law students in NY already (14,000 or so took the bar in NY this year, obviously not all ny students, but you get the point)

Too many lawyers in NY already (too many to count.....supply and demand people!) :P

Plus, what's the provisional period for Bingo to get ABA acredidation (spelling?)? Starting a law school from scratch is a HUGE amont of $$$$$.....law books are expensive and you can't get ABA accredited unless you have a current law library. Whoops...unless your Syracuse Law, then much like their football program, you get by on name and traditional alone!

Sorry long rambling friday afternoon post about law school the day after I passed the bar!

Woohoo.

B)-->

QUOTE(Zalman B @ Nov 16 2007, 04:31 PM) 27603[/snapback]

It was in jest. The original post mistakenly referred to Binghamton University as BU and I was pointing out that the real BU (Boston University) already has a law school.

UA_MA, I'll have to figure out some sort of code to put into my posts so you can tell when I am joking, since it doesn't come across over the 'net. :lol:

Haha, and I actually got a good night's sleep last night too ... oh well. :blush:

The day started out great with our big win over CCSU.

Since then the day has been going down hill, Siena beat Stanford. Damn! Now more proof Bingo wants a law school. Damn! If Spitzer lets Bingo establish a law school before SUNY aquires Albany Law to be part of UA, I'm going to Sh%t.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/new...0,5229305.story

I hate to bring this back to the forefront, but there is some more "national" news about Bing's law school plans.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.j...d=1195466651321

http://www.abovethelaw.com/2007/11/because...lly_ne.php#more

I love the comments:

Binghamton is the most depressing city in America. If you want a sample of the campus architecture, go to your nearest mall parking lot. I went there my freshman year, went to class about an hour a week got good grades and transferred out.
last time i was in binghamton, many moons ago, there was a champion outlet. atleast the students will have plenty of sweatpants to wear.

Archived