UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

BU(MA)/Pitt game

Watching the BU(MA)/Pitt game on SNY right now. Granted, Pitt is the #11 team in the nation, but there is 1:45 left in the 1st half, BU is down by 21, and the deficit was larger. Boston U. has had no cohesion at all, and quite frankly they look mediocre to say the least. I understand that they are playing a very talented team, but they look very lifeless. It's one thing to be losing or getting routed simply because you are playing a far superior team. However, Pitt is making them look like a joke. They score with EASE on every play, and quite frankly, BU is playing very "sissy" (dare I say that?) defense. No hard fouls - the lightest contact etc.

Is it fair to say that they are overrated or just are the victim of playing a very good team? What's everyones opinion?

They are 1-4 and seemingly going to lose tonight to bring them to 1-5. Their remaining OOC games are against Manhattan, Harvard, Yale, Delaware, UMass, and Holy Cross. Is it really possible they could lose the remaining OOC games and go into conference play 1-11? Manhattan and Harvard are home, but then they play 4 straight on the road at Yale, Delaware, UMass, and Holy Cross. With the exception of possibly the Ivy games, I think if they would be underdogs going in and would be considered slight to decent upsets...

Any thoughts?

Weren't they picked by many to be the preseason fav to win the AE?

I know. I mentioned above they are #11. Are you wtching the game? If so, you'll understand what I mean. I understand Pitt is a very good team. But there is a difference between playing a great team and just playing horrible ball. Regardless of whether or not Pitt is an amazing team, they are 1-4 and have decently challenging games the next 6. The fact is that they were picked preseason by many to win the AE. Correct? You wouldn't expect a 1-5 record, and godforbid for our conference, a 1-11 team after these next games to have been predicted to win the conference.

53-19, 15:30 left and they haven't scored in the 2nd half as of yet. Pitt might be great, but to me, it seems inexcusable for a team with some hype to be 1-5 (after this game) and losing by 34 with 15+ mins left.

Those two BU players are quality ones, I agree.

Side note: Vermont lost to Dartmouth by a buzzer beater. They are 2-4 now.

With their big man graduated and gone, and with that quality player that up and left the program, I wonder how much of a force they are now?

Everytime I turn on ESPN this month, Duke is playing. Hopefully our guys are checking these games out, as well as the coaches, and breaking down things...

With their big man graduated and gone, and with that quality player that up and left the program, I wonder how much of a force they are now?

Everytime I turn on ESPN this month, Duke is playing. Hopefully our guys are checking these games out, as well as the coaches, and breaking down things...

I think we have 4 games to play before we should worry about Duke.

I also think Vermont will be fine. Not as good as last season because they lost Trapani , but still pretty good.

I think we have 4 games to play before we should worry about Duke.

I also think Vermont will be fine. Not as good as last season because they lost Trapani , but still pretty good.

Maybe you are missing my casual perspective here. What I'm saying is that if anyone has free time on their hands from our squad, it can do nothing but benefit them from watching. I'm not saying it is necessary, or anyone's focus should be placed on Duke now, or next week.

If I were playing Duke next month, and they were on TV every other night since the start of November, I might decide to watch a game or two of theirs... seeing that they are what's on ESPN. Hanging out at the dorm with the guys, getting into watching one of their upcoming opponents... seems to me like a good time for them.

And if you are concerned with my focus, let me reassure you brother, my attention is on nothing but Saturday.

Once in a while it's good to throw a curve into the mix.. seing that this is ALBANY CUP week.

JustDratik - Tyler Morris is out with some type of injury he supposedly will be back by conference schedule.

Corey Lowe is another story he and Coach Wolff are at odds his was left home for this 2 game trip and supposedly wants out of BU (just rumor) but if that happens BU will not be as projected but with Morris they'll still be competitive.

It wasn't televised (luckily) but last year I can't imagine we looked very good against UConn in Storrs and went on to win the conference championship. In fact Albany has started out 1-5 and 2-4 the last two years. People started shovelling dirt on us then and we were dancing at the end of those years.

UA_MA_2000 - folow the scoreboard UMBC with all their transfers currently is playing the best in the AE.

I do follow the scoreboard, Patch, and I am well aware of the records and play of our conference brethren. Ergo, I know that UMBC is playing well, but my comment was based on the fact that we were picked second in the pre-season poll behind Boston University. As the Conference schedule hasn't started yet (and, indeed, as we all know the OOC schedule has nothing to do with order of finish within the Conference), I simply was not of the opinion that UMBC's strong start (as compared to our arguably comparable strong start (4-1)) abdicated our position as the near pre-season selection (1 vote shy) to win the America East.

Moreover, the status of UMBC (also 4-1) and its transfers was well within the knowledge of all those who nonetheless picked us to finish second place at the time those pre-season votes were cast. Apparently, given the scenario of a weakened Boston University, you disagree that we would then be the Conference favorite due to the strength of UMBC's start and quality of wins, which, of course, is fine. Indeed, that is a very reasonable position to take, as UMBC has 3 road wins already. In a week or two, I may even agree with you -- but just not yet (but, like I said, perhaps soon, unless we put a thumping on LCC this Saturday).

Perhaps if UMBC beat Stanford, I might be of the opinion that UMBC should, as of now, be the pre-season favorite to win the AE, because we all know that any team that could take down Stanford would rule the America East (note the heavy sarcasm for all the LCC readers out there). :rolleyes:

Here is UMBC's (4-1) [RPI: 34; SOS: 82] start, for those who are curious:

11-10 St. Peter's 2-2 (0-0) 75 81-78 W

11-13 at La Salle 2-2 (0-0) 283 76-69 W

11-17 at Richmond 3-4 (0-0) 249 70-68 W

11-20 at Lafayette 3-2 (0-0) 253 84-87 L

11-24 Geo. Washington 2-1 (0-0) 197 89-79 W

While I was in error of not paying enough attention I guess to not only the game, but also, BU injury updates, my initial post was meant to question what BU might be like for the rest of the season. This is important because they were picked to be AE champs as by the coaches. This is also important, because it goes one step further in helping solidify Albany's spot in the conference/conference tourney. As we saw tonight by UVM losing to Dartmouth, either the Ivy "aint all that shabby", or the AE may have taken a step back. As a result, in regards to BU, they have 6 challenging games - 2 at home against Manhattan and Harvard, and then another 4 against Yale, Delaware, UMass, and Holy Cross, all of which are on the road. Could they be 1-11 going into conference play or something similar? It doesn't seem like UVM has their act together either. The scary thing to me is that while most teams are playing like crap, we are playing decent to say the least and on paper, have the highest potential of all teams because of talent and depth. It's also important because our RPI will in part be dictated by how BU does.

The difference with the last 2 Albany squads having poor starts and doing well is that everyone assumed because of the given talent level, obviously including Jamar, we would right the ship. BU on the other hand, hasn't done much as of late (including last season), and as was brought to my attention, has some injuries to deal with. And while OOC games don't mean THAT much - you need to get things in rhythm.

And as for UMBC, yes - they are 4-1 and I've seen how they are playing to date. However, they aren't exactly playing high-caliber talent, and every game has been extremely close - for the most part, 2 or 3 point wins.

While I was in error of not paying enough attention I guess to not only the game, but also, BU injury updates, my initial post was meant to question what BU might be like for the rest of the season. This is important because they were picked to be AE champs as by the coaches. This is also important, because it goes one step further in helping solidify Albany's spot in the conference/conference tourney. As we saw tonight by UVM losing to Dartmouth, either the Ivy "aint all that shabby", or the AE may have taken a step back. As a result, in regards to BU, they have 6 challenging games - 2 at home against Manhattan and Harvard, and then another 4 against Yale, Delaware, UMass, and Holy Cross, all of which are on the road. Could they be 1-11 going into conference play or something similar? It doesn't seem like UVM has their act together either. The scary thing to me is that while most teams are playing like crap, we are playing decent to say the least and on paper, have the highest potential of all teams because of talent and depth. It's also important because our RPI will in part be dictated by how BU does.

The difference with the last 2 Albany squads having poor starts and doing well is that everyone assumed because of the given talent level, obviously including Jamar, we would right the ship. BU on the other hand, hasn't done much as of late (including last season), and as was brought to my attention, has some injuries to deal with. And while OOC games don't mean THAT much - you need to get things in rhythm.

And as for UMBC, yes - they are 4-1 and I've seen how they are playing to date. However, they aren't exactly playing high-caliber talent, and every game has been extremely close - for the most part, 2 or 3 point wins.

JustDrastik,

One of the interesting points that you raise, and it has been raised passim in this forum and by Coach Brown, is our depth -- this may very well be crucial as we enter a long and demanding conference schedule. Especially if injuries creep up on us (as they do for all teams). I think Brent Wilson played 18 minutes on Sunday. To pull out a double-digit win while having only 18 minutes from arguably our pre-season best player on offense is very promising!! :)

Archived