UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Duke Postgame

Maybe one of the best 41 point loss in school history.

Folks, we out rebounded the #7 team in the nation 36-31! That is a victory on its own.

While I know '96 and some will say the key stat is the three-point shooting of Duke (Not saying it wasn't a key stat), looking at the long term, the key stat was turnovers and points off the turnover. UA came in with one the top perimeter D percentage wise in the conference. Duke was just way to athletic and quick for the Danes. However, the turnover issue is what has killed them team all year. Yes it is Duke and it will be higher then normal. However, I think is goes with the idea this team can only hurt themselves. The guys at ESPN said it and we will agree. After watching this game, I think it is the biggest and only weakness. Just my opinion.

Ambrose is going to be amazing. 24 points as a frosh against Duke at Cameron!? This kid will crack the starting line-up come mid-season. B-Conn is just insane also, looks great.

Another thing that I noticed with this game is our own three-point shooting. We are shooting terrible from the outside and clearly we are going to beat teams from the inside. While Brent and Jon can nail the shots at point, this is another game were they shot less then 25% from 3-point range.

Let me just end my opinion with this...when this team shoots 46% from the field and scores 70 pts, they win...they don't get blown out by 41.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Team looked pretty good, actually. It was only my second time watching them this year, the defensive wasn't impressive by any means, but it's Duke. One guy I wasn't impressed with much was Turley. It was my first time really watching him, and he looks out of shape and overweight. If he could lose some weight, he'd be way better IMO.

Ambrose and Connelly are insane. Why doesn't Ambrose start? Martin was alright. Some of the younger guys look good, this team is solid. I think we can win the conference this season for sure.

Team looked pretty good, actually. It was only my second time watching them this year, the defensive wasn't impressive by any means, but it's Duke. One guy I wasn't impressed with much was Turley. It was my first time really watching him, and he looks out of shape and overweight. If he could lose some weight, he'd be way better IMO.

Ambrose and Connelly are insane. Why doesn't Ambrose start? Martin was alright. Some of the younger guys look good, this team is solid. I think we can win the conference this season for sure.

Oh boy--

I know you are young...but you have to learn the game of basketball before making comments such as the above. Turley is FAR from out of shape...and he is not overweight-- His ass holds most of his weight and he runs like a deer.

Al played as well as he could against a team that features long athletic slasher types. Al is not suited for that type of matchup.

'96 put it best. There is no way you can see that about Turley. Out of the 5 games I have witnessed (both TV and in person) Turley has owned the paint when he has played about 85% of the time. I have seen him put spin moves and bumps that made him look NASTY! The kid has some sick moves. I repeat once again...THIS IS DUKE!!! Go look for highlights on Fox Sports website at the Lehigh game. You will see a beautiful spin move

Lol. I've played basketball my whole life. Maybe it was my TV, because the picture wasn't good, (they didnt have a good camera there, idk why) but he didn't look in great shape to me. 6-7 285? That's a little bit heavy. That's big, but heavy. If he lost 20 lbs he'd be better.

LOL...you are in high school, correct? You haven't played enough high level basketball in your SHORT life to really make a statement (though you are entitled to your opinion) like that.

Heck, the Siena fans are even saying he played a good game.

You are completely off-base!

'96 put it best. There is no way you can see that about Turley. Out of the 5 games I have witnessed (both TV and in person) Turley has owned the paint when he has played about 85% of the time. The kid has some sick moves. I repeat once again...THIS IS DUKE!!!

Well, yeah, against weaker opponents, and smaller sized teams the size and weight won't be an issue. He can just power his way in the paint. But when you play against better OOC opponents and in the NCAA tournament if we get there, he can't defend a good center who is 6'9" 240 lbs. He'll be at such an athletic disadvantage.

Edit: I know nothing about basketball because I'm in high school. Real mature statement. :rolleyes:

Your opinion is fine, and is probably correct, as I have not seen much of him, like I said, I've seen about two games, this one and some glimpses of another early this season. But to say I'm wrong because I'm in high school, I hate that. You could at least treat me equally just like everyone else on this board and not discriminate against me because of my age.

'96 put it best. There is no way you can see that about Turley. Out of the 5 games I have witnessed (both TV and in person) Turley has owned the paint when he has played about 85% of the time. The kid has some sick moves. I repeat once again...THIS IS DUKE!!!

Well, yeah, against weaker opponents, and smaller sized teams the size and weight won't be an issue. He can just power his way in the paint. But when you play against better OOC opponents and in the NCAA tournament if we get there, he can't defend a good center who is 6'9" 240 lbs. He'll be at such an athletic disadvantage.

:rolleyes:

You can say that about every guy, at every position for Albany....AGAIN IT IS DUKE!

I would have liked to see the score a bit closer but I walked away satisfied. I really like Ambrose. Great talent, even the announcer called him a "keeper". I agree. There young, give them some time.

Both Martin and Ambrose just earned starting spots for the rest of the year.

Martin proved to me that his ball handling skills makes him our starting point guard for the remainder of the year.

Ambrose proved to me that he is our go to guy, has serious talent, and just may be another UAlbany superstar.

Loved the intensity out of Lillis as usual, and Connelly. Iati busted ass, proud of him as well.

Very disappointed on our shooting percentage, especially outside and the open looks.

It was Duke, but we need to hit the open shots 95% of the time or we are just an average Joe.

Proud of our men though.

Great to see them playing against Duke, and experiencing the best. Now the newbies know what to expect from one of the best in the country. If we play with the same intensity, we could go far.

i know we could have score more, but we did shoot 47% from the field and put up 70 points...95% of the time this team wins games with those stats. The key was three-point percentage. Once again, under 25%, which is not good. While Brent and Jon nail shots, this team doesn't seem to break out from downtown. If we win, we are winning in the paint.

Archived