UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Duke Postgame

I would have liked to see the score a bit closer but I walked away satisfied. I really like Ambrose. Great talent, even the announcer called him a "keeper". I agree. There young, give them some time.

I agree that I would've liked the score to be closer but it was just great to watch the team play @ Duke on a national cable station. Very exciting. I think at one point they cut the lead early in the second half and that was an awesome stretch to watch them compete at a high level. I'm proud of our players and our school.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what it takes to build a bigger and better program.

National exposure, gotta love it.

Only a measly 7 years ago we weren't even in division I.

With opponents like UCLA, Florida, Connecticut, Virginia, VCU, and Duke over the past few years, I think we are making a name for ourselves out their in DI land. Thanks to Dr M and Coach Brown. Oh, and of course, Jamar Wilson and all the men.

A few things stood out to me:

1) Ambrose. Holy moley. Anyone who scores 24 pts (i believe that was his total) against Duke in Cameron is a stud.

His game was under control and he has looked very confident and intelligent in his game as of late. This may be a stretch, but he scored NUMEROUS bank shots and I found that to be refreshing in that he was under control and had the mindset to score points, rather than focus on style points.

2) We weren't rattled - Duke won. They are duke. We looked focussed and not the least bit nervous or intimidated.

3) Our 3 pt game is really struggling. While, 40 pts. is 40 pts, this game should have been closer. We did miss a LOT of open shots - we also had a lot of shots rim out. However, we had open looks which we need to start converting on. Iati did a decent job handling the ball, but his 3 pt. shooting has been atrocious. Brent hasn't been much better.

4) We can be very athletic and more minutes need to go to a few players in particular. Ambrose NEEDs to get some minutes from Iati and Hastings. When he does, we've seen what he can do.

5)Gifford hasn't developed the way I'd have hoped.

6) The AE needs to be afraid. Very afraid.

I think we gotta think future and put ourselves in a position where we can employ players who can drive to the basket. My starting five, at this point, looks like:

PG Martin/Iati

SG Ambrose/Hastings

SF Lillis/Hastings

PF Wilson/Brian C.

C Brian C./Covington/Turley/Gifford

Thoughts?

Maybe one of the best 41 point loss in school history.

I couldn't have said it better myself. This loss feels a lot better than losing by 27 to Virginia or by 4 to Siena, perhaps because of the overall exposure it will do for the program in the long run to get us better opponents down the road, ones that aren't overachieving automatons. Like with the first UConn game, this "loss" is a win in the long run.

With opponents like UCLA, Florida, Connecticut, Virginia, VCU, and Duke over the past few years, I think we are making a name for ourselves out their in DI land. Thanks to Dr M and Coach Brown. Oh, and of course, Jamar Wilson and all the men.

And the student body for rallying with them, at least when there are games when class is in session (you don't know how much it grinds my gears to see much of the early home schedule at times when class isn't in session).

The Valentine's Day Blizzard deserves nominal credit for this game as well. Had it not hit and we nearly didn't miss our game at Boise State, would ESPN have "repaid" us with the Duke game? Something to think about...

I was glad to watch the game last night on DVR and fast forward through all the Duke fan crowd shots......

I thought the team played well at times but the turnovers were ridiculous. I can understand some as many have said it is Duke but at times we looked like CYO telegraphing our passes and not moving to the ball. Maybe it was athleticism or shell shock at times but still it hurt to keep seeing perimeter passes jumped for fast break layups.

On another note I can't wait to here from the Albany fans who made the trip to the game. I am glad I was not there as the Duke fans are the MOST obnoxious fans I have seen. I have a new #1 hated team in college basketball and will be pulling for Pitt to smack them around. Duke is weak inside and sooner or later those 3's won't come as easy leading to a 3rd round exit from the NCAA's. A tough perimeter defense will shut them down in my opinion.

The bright spots for the game are Connelly are Ambrose. Ambrose looks like the next Jamar for the Danes and dare I say be better. He belongs in the GAME!!!! Nice job staff getting him to UALBANY and I can't wait to be dancing in March again as we will continue to get better!

On another note I can't wait to here from the Albany fans who made the trip to the game. I am glad I was not there as the Duke fans are the MOST obnoxious fans I have seen.

Didn't really hear too much out of the Crazies. Ettkin's right, TV doesn't give you a feel for how close they are to the court. Maybe if the game were closer or more important they might have said more, but I didn't see much very creative. Siena fans still more obnoxious.

The reason they stand is that the seats only rise about 12 inches, so if you sit your knees are higher than your ass, and there's no leg room either. That same low rise means the end with the band doesn't get in the face of the player at the foul line; I'd think SEFCU's baseline would be tougher.

As D96 was calling Zoubek a stiff on the AE board: My thought in the first half was, If this guy were 6'8", he couldn't start in America East. But he looked better in the second half, could hit his foul shots and showed a not-bad touch around the rim.

Cameron Indoor: seemed dimly lit except for the court itself, access to/from the courtside seats wouldn't pass a 20th century fire or ADA code, and from those seats you can't see any action on your own sideline. Extra credit for whoever knows the Bette Davis line to describe it (and I don't mean 'Fasten your seat belt, it's going to be a bumpy night'

Aside: I'll never fly Delta again if I can help it. Four-and-a-half hour layover at JFK waiting for a 35-minute flight to Albany on a sunny day is too much to ask.

I was glad to watch the game last night on DVR and fast forward through all the Duke fan crowd shots......

I thought the team played well at times but the turnovers were ridiculous. I can understand some as many have said it is Duke but at times we looked like CYO telegraphing our passes and not moving to the ball. Maybe it was athleticism or shell shock at times but still it hurt to keep seeing perimeter passes jumped for fast break layups.

On another note I can't wait to here from the Albany fans who made the trip to the game. I am glad I was not there as the Duke fans are the MOST obnoxious fans I have seen. I have a new #1 hated team in college basketball and will be pulling for Pitt to smack them around. Duke is weak inside and sooner or later those 3's won't come as easy leading to a 3rd round exit from the NCAA's. A tough perimeter defense will shut them down in my opinion.

The bright spots for the game are Connelly are Ambrose. Ambrose looks like the next Jamar for the Danes and dare I say be better. He belongs in the GAME!!!! Nice job staff getting him to UALBANY and I can't wait to be dancing in March again as we will continue to get better!

Given how many times Duke has gone to the Ncaa's, final fours and championships, I could almost understand if their fans are obnoxious. I mean, we are not talking about some rinkie dink maac team whose has never gone to 2 straight ncaa tournaments or even 1 this century with a winning record because their league is too tough for them.

That being said, I did not think the duke fans were obnoxious. Loud, yes. Especially noticeable when UA was in bounding the ball from the side the students were on. I don't know if the in bounds passer would here anything other than the fans.

Also, as Ualum72 has already said, you don't get the feeling how close you are from TV. Not only was I close enough to touch the bench from my seat, but it was almost more difficult to not touch the bench than to touch it. I also noticed the TU reporters directly across the court from me. It looked like they were crushed against the scorers table with the students right on top of them. I was half hoping one of the students knew who Ettkins was maybe did something funny to him.

As far as the game, I agree on the good offense showings by Ambrose and Connolly. I can not comment on the defense. Duke is at another level and just shoots too good that I can't tell. And Duke made UA's defense a moot point. But, like always it looks like UA never gave up and it was nice to see Jimmie Covington get on the scoresheet towards the end. Ending up with 8 guys who can say they score points in Cameroon Indoor stadium.

This game as far as Duke shooting was concerned was similar to the Virginia game.

Va. entered that contest with Reynolds in a terrible shooting slump and he went unconscious against us.

Duke as a team went unconscious against us, hitting from everywhere on the perimeter and it didn't matter who was shooting.

When your at a severe disadvantage at every position it's gotta be tough and when the team with all the advantages is on fire well we now we know what can happen.

We probably don't have one guy who could make the Duke team, we know for a fact none of our guys were recruited by Duke or any other team at that level of play. They had, I believe, 7 McDonalds All Americans.

It's scary to think that Jon Scheyer who was an ACC All Rookie selection when he avg 12.2ppg for a 22-11 team last season isn't even staring this year.

They are very good - they may struggle when they match up with other very athletic teams and they have an off shooting night, but I don't know how often that will happen. The Duke UNC games this year should be awesome!!!!

On another note I can't wait to here from the Albany fans who made the trip to the game. I am glad I was not there as the Duke fans are the MOST obnoxious fans I have seen.

Didn't really hear too much out of the Crazies. Ettkin's right, TV doesn't give you a feel for how close they are to the court. Maybe if the game were closer or more important they might have said more, but I didn't see much very creative. Siena fans still more obnoxious.

The reason they stand is that the seats only rise about 12 inches, so if you sit your knees are higher than your ass, and there's no leg room either. That same low rise means the end with the band doesn't get in the face of the player at the foul line; I'd think SEFCU's baseline would be tougher.

As D96 was calling Zoubek a stiff on the AE board: My thought in the first half was, If this guy were 6'8", he couldn't start in America East. But he looked better in the second half, could hit his foul shots and showed a not-bad touch around the rim.

Cameron Indoor: seemed dimly lit except for the court itself, access to/from the courtside seats wouldn't pass a 20th century fire or ADA code, and from those seats you can't see any action on your own sideline. Extra credit for whoever knows the Bette Davis line to describe it (and I don't mean 'Fasten your seat belt, it's going to be a bumpy night'

Aside: I'll never fly Delta again if I can help it. Four-and-a-half hour layover at JFK waiting for a 35-minute flight to Albany on a sunny day is too much to ask.

Bette Davis in "Beyond the Forest" (1949)----"What a Dump!"

going back to Duke fans....

after Lillis had airball of first shot...everytime he touched the ball you heard AIRBALL. after a foul by Albany player the pointing and the YOU..YOU..YOU chant....OMG!

when on the side inbounds the pointing 6-12 inches from them..... I guess I was being a sore loser but I wanted to reach through the TV and give it back to the fans.

It also appeared a lot of students were not there due to break and exams as I saw alot of 40+ duke crazies in student section. I guess they all were crossing off going to Duke game of their life lists. Nothing worse than a middle age man balding painting his face wearing a duke jersey. And yes I am in my 30's but don't think I would ever paint my face.....that is for the kids.

I will be upset about the Loss I guess till Saturday and move on.

thank you for sharing your duke experiences!

Archived