UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Guilderland High football program

We have at least three kids coming in from Guilderland HS. Does anyone know anything about this program? How do they rank in NYS and national high school football? I like that they are close to UA because that may help bring out fans but I hope we're not recruiting them because they're close to Ooobaly. I'm guessing they're good based on these CAA "offers". The articles always say "was also considering", is that an offer? Hah ha, I was also considering Harvard but I choose Ooobaly myself, mostly for the architecture.

I also like that we're bringing in this Booker kid under EOP. Way to maximize the scholarships!

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...category=SPORTS

I'm not originally from New York, nor did I attend a NYS highschool so please pardon the learning curve. If Guilderland is Section II, what are the power house schools? Are they Section 1? I worked with a guy who talked about Rockland as being a power in highschool football.

It's easy to be mislead about recruits. When I hear "all state" or "all region", I want to know is this the farming school league or is this a major city highschool? One thing I've learned in Georgia is that some highschools (Harrision or Grady) have 10,000 fans a game and some are tiny towns. Makes a big difference! I'd hoping Guilderland is in a pretty competitive league.

NY Football is arranged like this:

11 sections based on geography.

classifications within each section from largest enrollment to smallest (AA, A, B, C, D).

AA usually has the strongest teams because of enrollment numbers.

Section 1 is the Rockland/Westchester County areas and traditionally have had the strongest teams.

However, AA in Section 9 has been arguably the strongest the last few years with Monroe Woodbury just demolishing everyone around. Although they've found ways to lose in the state championship game the last two years.

Syracuse area also has a good tradition of HS football. CBA Syracuse and Cicero-North Syracuse usually produce scholarship talent every year.

Section 2 (Albany area) has been competitive in the past, but has fallen a bit of late, with the exception of Lansingburg which continues to put out good players and teams (even though there eligibility always seems to be in question).

For example, Lasalle Academy won the AA Section 2 championship (beating Guilderland). Lasalle got hammered by both the Section 9 AA runner-up Minisink (in the regular season) and the Section 9 AA champion Monroe Woodbury (in the playoffs), 42-28 and 42-20 respectively.

For the record I am a Lansingburgh High Graduate class of 83. They were decent when I played but are now considered great. Their coach is actyually a good coach but they are getting better players because the school is now enrolling more students. A lot of folks move upstate from NYC and surrounding areas to have a more affordable lifestyle and enroll their kids at "The Burgh"

For the record I am a Lansingburgh High Graduate class of 83. They were decent when I played but are now considered great. Their coach is actyually a good coach but they are getting better players because the school is now enrolling more students. A lot of folks move upstate from NYC and surrounding areas to have a more affordable lifestyle and enroll their kids at "The Burgh"

Just to clarify, I'm not personally questioning the eligibility of Burgh's players in my above post. I don't have any reaosn to. I'm just pointing out what seems to be surrounding the school as of late.

Kareem Jones (i think) is the RB for Delaware State now right? Saw him play against Delaware in the opening round playoff game this year.

We have at least three kids coming in from Guilderland HS. Does anyone know anything about this program? How do they rank in NYS and national high school football? I like that they are close to UA because that may help bring out fans but I hope we're not recruiting them because they're close to Ooobaly. I'm guessing they're good based on these CAA "offers". The articles always say "was also considering", is that an offer? Hah ha, I was also considering Harvard but I choose Ooobaly myself, mostly for the architecture.

I also like that we're bringing in this Booker kid under EOP. Way to maximize the scholarships!

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...category=SPORTS

Booker and Andrew Smith carried Guilderland this past season. Booker is a potent running back and plays DL and LB on defense. Smith is an option QB who ran it himself often. His passing is adequate. he can launch a 50 yarder now and then. On defense he plays DB. They helped lead Guilderland to its best season in over 30 years. Losing the AA Super Bowl to Lasalle in a heartbreaker. UP 17-0 going into the 4th qtr. Lasalle scored 28 points in the 4th qtr for a 28-17 win. Both Booker and Smith,are now important players on Guilderland's Basketball team, along with Colgate bound Brett Marfurt. At this point in the season, Guilderland looks to be the class of Suburban Council hoops.

Not all Sections participate in the States.

Long Island (Section 8 & 11) opt not to be in the states and play a Long Island Championship imstead.

Same with the Five Boroughs. NYC plays the PSAL and CHSAA championships! Winners play in the Metro Bowl. The Preps play in their own league.

Archived