UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coach Brown's compensation

Perks pump up UAlbany coach's salary Times-Union's Campus Notebook by Marc Parry uses a FOIL request to find out a 'buffet' of bennies in Will's contract - Shaker Ridge membership, $5K clothing allowance, car, 9th highest salary at 'a taxpayer-subsidized state school', performance incentives, earnings from the blog.

Also a blurb on 'Danes after Dark', the UAlbany program for social activities wins an award for giving students something to do besides drinking.

I really don't understand the point of this article. This guy just seems like another "hater" if you ask me. It also sounds like he's had the article written since the contract extension happened and just now got the data from the FOIL request. Maybe it was news when the contract extension happened, but it doesn't really seem to be news now.

Maybe I really hate the TU, but I think it was printed to give the TU an excuse to publish more anti-UA letters to the editor. I expect to see multiple letters published regarding how taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for Will Brown's country club membership.

More power to him in my opinion. Sounds like pretty good negotiating. And quite frankly, I'm jealous of him, Shaker Ridge is as really nice course.

There's always going to be a couple of nut jobs who are going to piss and moan about this type of thing. Most of them probably post on the Siena board. Fact of the matter is, this happens all over the country and isn't unusual. This isn't new! It might not be fair or what ever, but I as a tax payer pay for ALL KINDS of things that I don't think are appropriate.

Want to see how Brown compares to his peers? Go to the men's college basketball page of http://www.usatoday.com and scroll down to the salary database.

- Marc Parry

If you go to the USA Today site he speaks about in his article compare Brown's package to those coaches who not only made it to the NCAAs last year but two years in a row. Compared with his so called peers he's still low on the totem poll.

Marc Parry sounds very negative or maybe just very envious.

The TU is a bunch of haters... sure, we all know that. I wish they were the only malcontents up there. The private school grads also fight the development of SUNY. The A-holes who want SUNY to have open admissions (low standards) also cripple SUNY. The legislature doesn't fund SUNY, won't let SUNY raise tuition and then places mandates on them. The old timers piss and moan that we're not a teachers college anymore. It's a whole cluster up there! Bowl season makes me all the more jealous and angry. How can every other state seem so damn normal! Back to Coach Brown, we try to develop a little basketball program and all the haters and special interests show up trying their best to kill it!

Coach Brown deserves every freaking cent and then some. That's my 2 cents. Now, I'm going back to watching other people's college's play in bowl games and not thinking about SUNY.

It might not be fair or what ever, but I as a tax payer pay for ALL KINDS of things that I don't think are appropriate.

What Parry's article does not delve into is what portion of Coach Brown's package is NYS-funded (which is taxpayer money, as you allude to) and what portion might come from non-state (ie. University at Albany Foundation, i.e. private fund donations) sources.

From the exposure I've had to NYS rules & regs I wouldn't be surprised if items like clothing allowance, country club membership, etc came from non NYS sources.

And if there are non-NYS funded items its really none of the business of "concerned taxpayers", any more than similar items for the coach at that other place across town.

It might not be fair or what ever, but I as a tax payer pay for ALL KINDS of things that I don't think are appropriate.

What Parry's article does not delve into is what portion of Coach Brown's package is NYS-funded (which is taxpayer money, as you allude to) and what portion might come from non-state (ie. University at Albany Foundation, i.e. private fund donations) sources.

From the exposure I've had to NYS rules & regs I wouldn't be surprised if items like clothing allowance, country club membership, etc came from non NYS sources.

And if there are non-NYS funded items its really none of the business of "concerned taxpayers", any more than similar items for the coach at that other place across town.

It also doesnt go on to compare the fact that the other SUNY coaches are receiving 205k (BING) and 300k (Stony Brook), and both schools have had zero return on their investments. It also doesnt speak to our peer institutions as noted by Dr. Hall-- Delaware, William and Mary, Towson, Old Dominion, et al-- whose coaches are receiving NORTH of 350k minimum.

This article is horse$iena...and the negative OP ED pieces will be funny.

There's always going to be a couple of nut jobs who are going to piss and moan about this type of thing. Most of them probably post on the Siena board. Fact of the matter is, this happens all over the country and isn't unusual. This isn't new! It might not be fair or what ever, but I as a tax payer pay for ALL KINDS of things that I don't think are appropriate.

Ahemmm No…. plenty of “nutjobs” on this board. And not every objective story is a “shot” at UA like some of the “nutjobs” on this board think. What’s the big deal on the story? It’s a non story in my book-UA was in a competitive situation for their coach and did the right thing.

Archived