UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Fordie thinks he is a good player that is good enough for me but if schools like Assumption and Union are looking at him how good could he be? I am sure he is a good player. Has the level of good players dropped in upstate NY because it seems like we are getting a lot of local players as of late.

He has great size potential and can be built up to 300 to 315lbs. I have to admit it scares me when I see DIII programs looking at our recruits. Where is Delaware, New Hampshire, and Hofstra? These are the kind of players we are going to need going forward.

If Fordie thinks he is a good player that is good enough for me but if schools like Assumption and Union are looking at him how good could he be? I am sure he is a good player. Has the level of good players dropped in upstate NY because it seems like we are getting a lot of local players as of late.

He has great size potential and can be built up to 300 to 315lbs. I have to admit it scares me when I see DIII programs looking at our recruits. Where is Delaware, New Hampshire, and Hofstra? These are the kind of players we are going to need going forward.

We're never going to recruit consistently against UD, UNH and Hofstra until we break ground on our stadium. Plain and simple.

Not every recruit we get is going to be a scholarship quality player. Even when we get to 63 rides we still need to get 20 or so kids on partial or no scholarship and that will usually mean "project recruits" like it appears this kid is.

On another note I don't like reading the quote from this kid about the stadium in terms of a possibility as opposed to a done deal.

Anyone have any news on this hot topic? On another topic when is our contract up with the NEC? I think its 08 but not sure. I better not read about extending the contract if no AQ or increased scholarships are in order. I would think we would get some insight here soon.

Final question: Have we submitted the request for a zillion dollars for the upgrades yet?

We're never going to recruit consistently against UD, UNH and Hofstra until we break ground on our stadium. Plain and simple.

Not every recruit we get is going to be a scholarship quality player. Even when we get to 63 rides we still need to get 20 or so kids on partial or no scholarship and that will usually mean "project recruits" like it appears this kid is.

I guess I saw the same thing everyone else did. I trust Ford and his program but I like to see us stealing a few kids above our level not picking up local prospects that were looking at DIII schools. Breaking ground next year on the stadium is critical to us moving up a notch but we need to start to get the talent now. It's a tough balancing act, I know. UA needs to be recruiting down here (GA & FL). "New York" sounds impressive, just don't tell them it's upstate until after they sign hah ha.

On another note I don't like reading the quote from this kid about the stadium in terms of a possibility as opposed to a done deal.

Anyone have any news on this hot topic? On another topic when is our contract up with the NEC? I think its 08 but not sure. I better not read about extending the contract if no AQ or increased scholarships are in order. I would think we would get some insight here soon.

Final question: Have we submitted the request for a zillion dollars for the upgrades yet?

Stadium proposal was approved by the SUNY Board of Trustees and is now apparently in front of the Gov.

Contract with the NEC is through 2010 season I believe. I would imagine there is a buyout in the contract though and I would expect (and hope) it will get used if something better comes up or if the AQ doesn't go through by 2009 season.

SUNYBOT approval is good news.

Even if the NEC gets an AQ, I'd prefer another league ASAP so we can get some home games against teams that might help fill the stadium, both with their own fans and the locals.

I don't know New York politics or SUNY budgets but I do know I want that stadium yesterday. Seeing that I'm impatient, anyone willing to speculate on what our odds look like? At least tell me this, how often does the SUNYBOT approved budget request get modified on a line-by-line basis? For example striking or reducing a specific request?

Even if the NEC gets an AQ, I'd prefer another league ASAP so we can get some home games against teams that might help fill the stadium, both with their own fans and the locals.

I don't know New York politics or SUNY budgets but I do know I want that stadium yesterday. Seeing that I'm impatient, anyone willing to speculate on what our odds look like? At least tell me this, how often does the SUNYBOT approved budget request get modified on a line-by-line basis? For example striking or reducing a specific request?

As far as I know, SUNYBOT works at the discretion of the Gov. The proposal to the Gov is just that, a proposal. The Gov then can modify, add or redact any portion he wants for his budget submission to the legislature. The legislature has their own version of the budget. The "three men in the room" get together (Sptizer, Silver and Bruno) and hammer out the compromised version with who knows what ending up in it.

That is how I understand the process, but I'm sure there are more knowledgeable folks here who work(ed) with the NYS budget at some point in time.

It's pretty common. Speaking specifically from a 'what SUNY gets at the end of the process after the Gov. and Leg. is finished,' specific lines are changed, cut and added. I would imagine this to be true especially for such a big ticket item.

Fingers crossed.

As far as I know, SUNYBOT works at the discretion of the Gov. The proposal to the Gov is just that, a proposal. The Gov then can modify, add or redact any portion he wants for his budget submission to the legislature. The legislature has their own version of the budget. The "three men in the room" get together (Sptizer, Silver and Bruno) and hammer out the compromised version with who knows what ending up in it.

That is how I understand the process, but I'm sure there are more knowledgeable folks here who work(ed) with the NYS budget at some point in time.

Yep...you have it correct. In addition, there are the famed "FIREPLACE CHATS." There is a fireplace in the assembly meeting room...a GIANT FIREPLACE. Historically, backroom deals have been brokered when stepping INTO the fireplace.

It is actually quite amusing.

Since our stadium is in the hands of these politicians, I decided to look these people up. Just out of curiosity, I looked up the first 40 NYS senators' educational backgrounds. I found only two that had an undergraduate from SUNY... that is to say about 5% of the Senate (if the remaining senators are no different from the first 40). That's terrible! No wonder SUNY is so short changed. What do they care about SUNY? If you look up any other state, I'm sure 50% or more of the politicians are alumni of the state school. What was even worse was there were as many Senators that attended other state schools as did SUNY (e.g. W&M and Penn State). I didn't see anyone who attended a SUNY university center.

Granted, these folks are pretty old. It stands to reason these numbers will improve in time since half of New Yorkers' attend SUNY, still it was still a scary revelation. Man, I don't like having SUNY's future in the hands of these folks.

PS

I'd keep an eye on Fordham if I was a New York tax payer. Let's just say they can have an alumni reunion without leaving the NYS Senate.

Their constituents go to, work at or derive income from their local SUNY institution. Regardless of where they attended, they have to care for SUNY. I'm not sure any state legislature in the Northeast would have 50% attending public state schools.

Great, our stadium is at the mercy of two jerks in Spitzer(Crook, Bully, Troopergate liar, tax raiser ....should I go on?) and Bruno(Old, Rich, user of Mike Bloomberg's winter home in the Bahama's ego maniac. see HVCC stadium...maybe he should stay in Brunswick). Oh and did I mention they hate each other.

In all seriousness I think we get $ but not the 60 we are looking for.

Archived