UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Great, our stadium is at the mercy of two jerks in Spitzer(Crook, Bully, Troopergate liar, tax raiser ....should I go on?) and Bruno(Old, Rich, user of Mike Bloomberg's winter home in the Bahama's ego maniac. see HVCC stadium...maybe he should stay in Brunswick). Oh and did I mention they hate each other.

In all seriousness I think we get $ but not the 60 we are looking for.

I agree. I think we probably get $20 or so. Enough to get the ground broken. $20 from state and the promised $$ from the City of Albany, plus the private donations and the remainder being derived from a bond issuance or low/zero-interest loan from the Dormitory Authority. That should give us more than enough to build the stadium and start to bring in revenue for the athletic department from advertising and attendance. The rest will fall into place after that.

FWIW, once the stadium get's built, I don't see the lacrosse stands ever getting built. It would be a waste of money. No reason to have two venues. Play lax in the stadium. Its the beauty of field turf.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Their constituents go to, work at or derive income from their local SUNY institution. Regardless of where they attended, they have to care for SUNY. I'm not sure any state legislature in the Northeast would have 50% attending public state schools.

First, the lack of SUNY alumni in the legislature can be seen from two angles (besides that of Ezra Cornell's legacy):

1: NYC has little need for SUNY with CUNY and all the private schools, and with them holding so many seats it dilutes the potential number of alumni.

2: As a system, SUNY isn't all that old and a lot of the dead weight in the legislature were already out of college when SUNY was already in place so it really wasn't an option. The structure of the legislature being incumbent-friendly with departures more often than not being due to retirement or death only exasperates this.

Besides, what state legislature ANYWHERE has 50% of its members being alumni of state schools?

I know that a stadium, or something resembling it, will probably be built by 2010, but what would happen if Spitzer was out afer one-term in terms of SUNY improvements/reform? Would we possibly be better or worse for it?

FWIW, once the stadium get's built, I don't see the lacrosse stands ever getting built. It would be a waste of money. No reason to have two venues. Play lax in the stadium. Its the beauty of field turf.

What then would happen to Fallon Field? Knowing the ridiculous demands in Fallon's gift of the field stemming from his being cut by Ford as a undergrad, why do I think that Fallon would want a certain number of years of use of that field given that it's his legacy. Knowing his past actions, he'd probably find some way to bar the lacrosse team from the new stadium with future gifts being the bargaining chip at play. If only he'd drop his grudge of being cut from a D-III football team 35+ years ago...

Their constituents go to, work at or derive income from their local SUNY institution. Regardless of where they attended, they have to care for SUNY. I'm not sure any state legislature in the Northeast would have 50% attending public state schools.

First, the lack of SUNY alumni in the legislature can be seen from two angles (besides that of Ezra Cornell's legacy):

1: NYC has little need for SUNY with CUNY and all the private schools, and with them holding so many seats it dilutes the potential number of alumni.

2: As a system, SUNY isn't all that old and a lot of the dead weight in the legislature were already out of college when SUNY was already in place so it really wasn't an option. The structure of the legislature being incumbent-friendly with departures more often than not being due to retirement or death only exasperates this.

Besides, what state legislature ANYWHERE has 50% of its members being alumni of state schools?

I know that a stadium, or something resembling it, will probably be built by 2010, but what would happen if Spitzer was out afer one-term in terms of SUNY improvements/reform? Would we possibly be better or worse for it?

What then would happen to Fallon Field? Knowing the ridiculous demands in Fallon's gift of the field stemming from his being cut by Ford as a undergrad, why do I think that Fallon would want a certain number of years of use of that field given that it's his legacy. Knowing his past actions, he'd probably find some way to bar the lacrosse team from the new stadium with future gifts being the bargaining chip at play. If only he'd drop his grudge of being cut from a D-III football team 35+ years ago...

I think Fallon field will still be home to the lax team, but I think the games where attendance will be large enough will be played in the stadium. Which in the long run may end up being every game. Which would be great. It just doesn't make financial sense for the university to build a $30mm stadium and have it sit idle while another team plays on a different field right next door. Now, if Fallon wants to pony up the couple million it will take to "furnish" Fallon field, then more power to him. But, I think Fallon's done with his major donations. If he had that much dough he wouldn't have donated less than half of what the lacrosse team needed in the first place.

Something that may be of interest to you guys:

Scout.com's list of players with Albany as a school of interest.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p...age=40&pg=1

At least a few of those Albany references are for Albany State Georgia. If they weren't a HBC, they would have been FBS a long time ago. Keep in mind folks, there are about a dozen "Albany" towns in this country. One reason I don't like it... Miami of Ohio.

I find most New Yorkers have very little travel experience. Most graduates of Florida (including politicians) attended.... U of F, Florida State, Florida A&M, South Florida, Central Florida.... Georgia, same deal but replace UGA and Georgia Tech. California, same deal but replace UC.. and Cal State... Wisconsin, same deal but replace UW Madison etc. etc. etc.

It will improve as there are 1M New Yorkers attending some form of SUNY education. The problem is the legislature is full post-war graduates (1950's and 1960's) and they attended private schools. In those days college was for the rich and privileged and they wanted to be like them. New York spends money like a drunken sailor but until the privileged attend those schools SUNY will never succeed. Never.

At least a few of those Albany references are for Albany State Georgia. If they weren't a HBC, they would have been FBS a long time ago. Keep in mind folks, there are about a dozen "Albany" towns in this country. One reason I don't like it... Miami of Ohio.

The search terms are not based on "albany" but are instead based on a school code which is our code. I'm not sure why you think they are for Albany State, a DII school?

In all seriousness I think we get $ but not the 60 we are looking for.

As long as UA gets a stadium this year of at least 15k that's all that matters to me.

I don't care where the money comes from. What I am sure of is that I I really don't want to see SUNY go down the road of mediocrity. A 10k stadium is pointless to me. Either this university will be on par with other peer institutions or it's not. Period. UMass is a fine measuring stick. Should be liberal enough for anyone. If you want to use tiny New England liberal flagships as your measuring stick (URI and New Hampshire) as opposed to other bordering states like Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey and Pennsylvania then I think this university has a real self-confidence issue. This is not your daddy's teachers college for good or bad. The only choice now is are we competitive or not?

The search terms are not based on "albany" but are instead based on a school code which is our code. I'm not sure why you think they are for Albany State, a DII school?

The first recruit lists the following schools... " Alabama A&M, Albany, Furman, Georgia Southern" SUNY-Albany seems like the odd man out there. Alabama A&M and Albany State are HBC's... Seems like a closer match to me.

The first recruit lists the following schools... " Alabama A&M, Albany, Furman, Georgia Southern" SUNY-Albany seems like the odd man out there. Alabama A&M and Albany State are HBC's... Seems like a closer match to me.

Alabama A&M, Furman, Georgia Southern, UAlbany - All DI schools. Albany State - DII.

Fordie has brought recruits from Georgia in the last two years and stated last year that he greatly increased his recruiting presence in Georgia.

I actually would disagree with you and say that Albany State would be the odd man out there. But its here nor there, because the Scout's list is based on school codes, not school names.

I'm not aware of any way to add conditions to a gift after that gift has been made. Whatever conditions attached to that gift --- imposed by the donor at the time of the gift --- are conditions already known to the university.

I'm not aware of any way to add conditions to a gift after that gift has been made. Whatever conditions attached to that gift --- imposed by the donor at the time of the gift --- are conditions already known to the university.

He can condition future gifts though. But I don't think he will. I think he would have given up front if he had anymore to give, or if he was willing to give anymore.

Believe Danefan for his word on the $$$ for the stadium. It is rather encouraging. There are wheels in motion...

You will be happy ATL_DANE!

Glad to hear things are moving forward! Thanks for the update.

I just put up my UA house flag. Probably the only one in the state of Georgia... who am I kidding? Probably the only one in the country. Nonetheless, it looks good with the Atlanta skyline behind it. I have this to say to the millions of households still flying their UGA flags after the Hawaii win... eat crap! Hah ha. Have a great weekend.

Believe Danefan for his word on the $$$ for the stadium. It is rather encouraging. There are wheels in motion...

I just put up my UA house flag. Probably the only one in the state of Georgia... who am I kidding? Probably the only one in the country. Nonetheless, it looks good with the Atlanta skyline behind it. I have this to say to the millions of households still flying their UGA flags after the Hawaii win... eat crap! Hah ha. Have a great weekend.

Nice! You should take a picture. Your neighbors are probably wondering if Albany State changed their colors.

I just put up my UA house flag. Probably the only one in the state of Georgia... who am I kidding? Probably the only one in the country.

I'm happy to say it's not the only one in the country with a UA flag on it. Our house has one too!

Archived