UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

KEVIN BROADUS SUSPENDED

Joel Thirer has reversed course and suspended Kevin Broadus for one game following Wed. altercation.

A little late IMHO.

I am assuming he was pressured by alumni and the league office. The posts in the local paper probably didnt help (neither did the video evidence and the lies).

Joel Thirer has reversed course and suspended Kevin Broadus for one game following Wed. altercation.

A little late IMHO.

I am assuming he was pressured by alumni and the league office. The posts in the local paper probably didnt help (neither did the video evidence and the lies).

Dane,

You are correct in that action should have occurred before now.

IMHO this move was correct. Later, people will forget about Thirer's hesitance and just remember his actual action. This move, even in the short run, is good for Binghamton. It will restore their reputation.

Albany may get hit too...Nero at his finest. I would not be shocked to see one of our guys sitting it out-- he wants to play mediator.

Nice call - Chad O'Donnell suspended also

brief story on TU website

The Emperor has spoken

Albany may get hit too...Nero at his finest. I would not be shocked to see one of our guys sitting it out-- he wants to play mediator.

Nice call - Chad O'Donnell suspended also

brief story on TU website

The Emperor has spoken

Please post the link. Also if there is an official explanation as to what Coach O'Donnell was suspended for I would love to hear it.

But it certaintly seems like NERO is a ZERO yet again.

A little late IMHO.

A little late IMHO.

Dane,

You are correct in that action should have occurred before now.

IMHO this move was correct. Later, people will forget about Thirer's hesitance and just remember his actual action. This move, even in the short run, is good for Binghamton. It will restore their reputation.

I'm okay with the timing of it all -- roughly 48 hours after the incident. I don't think it's wise for administrators -- i.e., an athletic director or conference commissioner -- to rush to judgment and impose a sanction without soliciting all material and relevant views, considering all relevant evidence, and coming up with the proper course of action.

I do think some sort of message had to be sent so as to establish a precedent, if nothing else. My guess is that all parties involved think this whole thing is stupid and care far less than us fans do! Nonetheless, because the fans are all riled up about it (myself included), it's important to make some sort of statement; in this case, a dual suspension. I think when inappropriate contact occurs in that context -- i.e., battery such as the term is defined under common law -- a statement of some sort had to be made, even if the Commissioner, coaches involved, and other administrators view the incident as pretty stupid and not worth discussing. I view the suspensions as more of a public relations move more than anything else, and that's okay! Moreover, it's an important lesson to be learned for student-athletes. In a sense, coaches serve as de facto parents and mentors/role models during the formative and difficult (though fun) college years, and the student-athletes of today spend a heck of a lot of time with the coaches and staff. I'm just glad we have an outstanding coach and athletic director, along with their staff, serving that role at UAlbany.

Finally, on the Broadus incident, I'm okay with the ultimate disposition, and I'm ready, as a fan of UA and America East basketball, to put the incident to rest. :)

Several good lessons for coaches, athletes, and fans stemming from this incident -- one of those lessons being watch what you (Broadus) do in public; there are cameras everywhere, and us fans are good with youtube (i.e., the video in which the camera zooms in on the post-game illusory handshake by Broadus, etc.). :)

I'm okay with the timing of it all -- roughly 48 hours after the incident. I don't think it's wise for administrators -- i.e., an athletic director or conference commissioner -- to rush to judgment and impose a sanction without soliciting all material and relevant views, considering all relevant evidence, and coming up with the proper course of action. - UA_MA_2000

Thirer looks like a jerk!

I don't mind waiting 48 hour for him to do his due diligence (his words) but in his first press release he did his in about 24 hours and then had to go back in less than 24 morehours and suspend Broadus the man he had acquited..

Now that's crappy work by an AD!

I'm okay with the timing of it all -- roughly 48 hours after the incident. I don't think it's wise for administrators -- i.e., an athletic director or conference commissioner -- to rush to judgment and impose a sanction without soliciting all material and relevant views, considering all relevant evidence, and coming up with the proper course of action. - UA_MA_2000

Thirer looks like a jerk!

I don't mind waiting 48 hour for him to do his due diligence (his words) but in his first press release he did his in about 24 hours and then had to go back in less than 24 morehours and suspend Broadus the man he had acquited..

Now that's crappy work by an AD!

Couldn't agree more. It looks pretty sloppy the way they handled the whole thing and I appreciate our AD and Coaches more after the incident.

Considering that most or all of the Bing players saw what happened on the court I imagine it would be tougher for Broadus to deal with them now. If you take, for example, the situation with Giff and the Maine player (sorry Giff.) If that happens with a Bing player how can Broadus tell them to control themselves with a straight face when they saw what he did after our game with them.

DP--

You are 100% correct. Difference in this situation is, THIS IS BROADUS-- The players are already aware of this. Furthermore, the ones he brought in are much like him.

If Fran, for example, had done this...it would be tough for Siena kids to look at him seriously anymore. Fran does not have that persona, however, and his players are good kids (though Boysdid would disagree on one of them). In that situation, the coach WOULD lose all control.

Here, when you hire Julius Allen to your staff-- Think of him as a street guy-- and then you bring in guys like McBride, etc., this is not a shock to the kids.

Wait until next year's version of Bing takes the court. Remember that scene in Necessary Roughness when they play the scrimmage?

If Binghamton ever lost their Uni's they could call Bob Huggins up and get Bearcat uni's circa the 1990's. IT would fit the coach, team, and personalities of said people.

Archived