UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Season Wrapup blog

In particular I like this statement.

"You’ll probably even see us play a little more zone, but I think you’ll also see us play a lot more up-tempo, a lot more pressing, a lot more running and we’ll play some zone in the halfcourt.”

I'm approaching next year with tempered enthusiasm. IMO, the only guy who is a lock for the starting five is Brian. The rest of the starting five will probably be very young with limited experience. With the results of last season now in the books...I've learned that often times the best part about freshmen is that they become sophomores. I've been guilty in the past of hyping the freshman and then get pissed when they don't live up to my unreasonable expectations.

I'm the first guy to get excited about recruits etc. but I've come to the realization that as a fan.....I need to work on my patience with the young guys.

Just for fun, and not taking into consideration any new players coming into the program, what do you guys think of Gifford and Turley being on the court at the same time? Put Gifford at the 5, Turley at the 4, and Brian C. at the 3. That's a pretty nasty frontcourt! It's also a good way to continue our rebounding advantage over teams next year. I hope we continue to stress and excel at rebounding next year. Our rebounding advantage was crucial this year in keeping us in games with our offensive struggles.

Just for fun, and not taking into consideration any new players coming into the program, what do you guys think of Gifford and Turley being on the court at the same time? Put Gifford at the 5, Turley at the 4, and Brian C. at the 3. That's a pretty nasty frontcourt! It's also a good way to continue our rebounding advantage over teams next year. I hope we continue to stress and excel at rebounding next year. Our rebounding advantage was crucial this year in keeping us in games with our offensive struggles.

I cant see us doing that AT ALL...we wont be able to run at all, and when turly and giff get exhausted who is going to come in?? I love Jimmy Cov to death, but he's reached his ceiling, and I dont trust him on the court for more than 10 minutes a game. Connelly is much more suited for the 4, and an athletic lineup of him, maybe Billy allen (everyone seems to have forgotten about him)? Tim and Josh would be a real tough lineups for other teams to defend

I actually think this idea is worth exploring on the offensive end, at least in spurts, but defensively I think we'd be very vulnerable. Realistically, we'd have to play a zone and not a 2-3. A 3-2 might be an option, but I don't recall us every running one in the past, so out of the things I think we'd be more likely to do it'd be a Box-and-1 or Triangle-and-2 with Giff and Turley on the blocks.

One thing I would have liked to see, but doesn't seem likely based on Brown's comments, was having the offense run through the post - I think Turley in particular will be a beast of a matchup for opposing teams. One thing that I'd forgotten about though was the moving back of the 3-point line. That will make it much easier for teams to collapse and double-team the post, so I guess my dream of an offense where the big man handles the ball down low instead of at the top of the key can continue to be just that - a dream.

As of right now, my primary hope is that I am able to recognize more than just one offensive set that the Danes run - and I'm not counting the offensive set that involves draining the shot clock down to 10 or 12 and then just having one guy "create." We've been fortunate to have great success with that in past seasons - especially recently with Jamar and Jason - and Lillis stepped up big time this past season to assume much of that role, but I really think that heavily contributed to the seemingly inevitable offensive drought we had in (almost) every game this year. Also, teams constantly over-pressured the perimeter against us, and by and large we weren't able to make them pay with back cuts or the extra screen to free someone up for a (relatively) easy layup or open jumper. Only a couple of those a game make a world of difference, both in the extra points and because it makes the defense less willing to risk giving up that relatively easy shot.

We'll be a young team, but a talented one, and I think we'll be a very dangerous team at the very least. If Brown gets them all on the same page - and the kids are willing to buy in fully into whatever system he implements - I think we could easily end up top half of the conference.

Going big is why we lost at times this year. I would only suspect a line up like that against a BIG SLOW TEAM.

This is why Coach keeps saying the league is going to the 6'6-6'7" fast guys.

In a stroke of irony on seasons past.............we lost a game or two for being too big. Never thought that would happen.

Archived