UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game notes:

http://admin.xosn.com/attachments1/6041.pdf

I knew Justin Gannon had a great return day, I just didn't know how great - he set UAlbany Division I FCS record for kickoff return yards with 183. He accounted for 205 all-purpose yards in the game.

Chris Kenneally is listed as starting at FB which is good. He left the UD game early with an injury and didn't return. Who knows if the depth chart is really accurate though.

Some matchup points:

Duquense has not really defended the run well. They have allowed an average of 169 yards rushing a game including two 125+ yards rushing by the pass-happy offenses of Dayton and St. Francis.

DetroitFlyer on AGS (a Dayton fan) said that he expets McCarty to have a HUGE day against the Dukes as they are not good up front at all. Dayton is the shell of the team we played in the Gridiron Classic last year, having lost their all-world QB Kevin Hyong.

The Danes need to stop the pass. Duquense QB Connor Dixon is a Michigan State transfer who has some gaudy stats. 55 for 104 with 870 yards, 11 TDs and only 2 INT's. However, 6 of those 11 TD's game against Bucknell with 5 coming in the second half, with 4 in the 4th quarter. It could be argued that they occured in "garbage time" as Bucknell has a 42-7 lead at the half. Duquense came back to make the game close (but still a loss) with 28 4th quarter points. Dixon ended the game with 427 yards and 6TDs.

They are averaging 103 yards per game on the ground but have ZERO rushing TD's this year.

Should be an interesting game in the first half. I think the Danes will wear them down by pounding the ball and keeping Dixon off the field. All in all, I will be dissapointed if the Danes don't run away with this one. We need a big statement win to give these guys some swagger back to be ready for CCSU next week. CCSU is coming off a big win over Del. State and will have another easy game this week against Wagner.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'm giving Dayton too much credit (hangover from last year's GC) but they have a decent win over Fordham this year. It also seems like the Flyers took all our homes game - 5 of their first 6 games were at home (damm!)

I hope you're right but after the four tough road games I'm concerned about Saturday. Maybe it's Duquense's 10 MAAC titles (alot like being the toughest guy in France) that I'm overly impressed with :blink:

I guess I'm giving Dayton too much credit (hangover from last year's GC) but they have a decent win over Fordham this year. It also seems like the Flyers took all our homes game - 5 of their first 6 games were at home (damm!)

I hope you're right but after the four tough road games I'm concerned about Saturday. Maybe it's Duquense's 10 MAAC titles (alot like being the toughest guy in France) that I'm overly impressed with :blink:

I don't think they'll be a pushover. He must have talent if he headed to Michigan State.

With a 427 yard game... a 4 touchdown 4th quarter... they probably can move the ball in the air.

If you underestimate any football team, you're looking for trouble..... unless it's stony broke who lost to Hofstra, 43-3, then you don't need to worry much about underestimation.

I don't think they'll be a pushover. He must have talent if he headed to Michigan State.

With a 427 yard game... a 4 touchdown 4th quarter... they probably can move the ball in the air.

If you underestimate any football team, you're looking for trouble..... unless it's stony broke who lost to Hofstra, 43-3, then you don't need to worry much about underestimation.

I'm sure Dixon is good. No doubt about it.

And I don't for one second believe that Fordie is underestimating Duquense.

Maybe I am, but thank goodness I'm not the coach. :P

Chuck Burton

The CSN Way

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com...p;tb=1&pb=1

Albany at Duquesne. The Great Danes, with runningback David McCarty, haven’t played a home game yet - and that was by design. How will that affect Albany against quarterback Connor Dixon and the Dukes? The answer: the Danes will turn it up and win this game.

‘I Knew I Should Have Made That Right Turn At Newark’ 31, ‘Not Quite NEC Championship Material Yet’ 7

OT a bit, but an interview with Coach Ford CSN the CAA Today writer Bruce Dowd:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com...p;tb=1&pb=1

Interview with Albany Head Coach Ford

Before we go on to the next section which is my CAA Rankings, I took advantage this week of a golden opportunity to talk to an opposing coach, Albany Head Coach Bob Ford. Albany opened its season with four straight road games against the CAA: UMass, Hofstra, New Hampshire and finally Delaware. This is an aggressive schedule for a Northeast Conference school that has limited scholarships. I thought you would be interested to see what he thought about each team and how they compared instead of always listening to me blabbing on and on.

First a little background on Ford from Albany’s Web site: “Ford, who has been UAlbany’s only head coach since the program was reinstated after a 46-year absence, was appointed on April 27, 1970. Since then, he has compiled a 35-year varsity record of 216-140 as the Great Dane mentor, while his 225 career victories ranks first among active NCAA Football Championship coaches.”

An e-mail to its sports information director got me an instant response and a phone call from Ford. Here is how it went:

I first had to ask about this year’s schedule to which Ford responded: “I don’t do the scheduling – we are just glutens for punishment. We will have been on the road for eight straight weeks when we come back from Duquesne [this week’s game]so we are not only taking good people on, but we are on the road a hell of a lot – we are a school that is in transition I guess you could say.” He went on to explain that the program only offers one full scholarship and it has 30 scholarships total that are spread out over many players as partial scholarships.

He then went on to discuss this year’s first four games: “We played UMass very, very tough. I would say that we had a shot at winning the ball game. We played New Hampshire very, very tough. We were up 17-7 we had a shot of winning that ballgame. We were fortunate to beat a pretty good Hofstra team and Delaware just, phew … it was 14-7 at halftime but , oh boy, they are a very, very good football team.”

This is where I wanted the conversation to get to, so I asked him how the CAA teams he played compared with one another and to his credit, he didn’t dodge the question and just like his teams, took it head on. “The three greatest defenses I have ever faced in the 38 years I have been here … was Delaware this year. That is a great defensive unit. I think there will be kids on that unit playing on Sundays. The second best defense we have seen was UMass about four years ago, and the third one was UMass this year and the fourth would probably be Montana.” There you go Griz fans. Even though this column is about the CAA, I left that last comment in just for you.

He went on to really praise Delaware: “I think Delaware is just stifling. I was somewhat surprised that we had as much success as we did early on in that ball game against them. I think UMass also has a pretty damn good defensive unit. All of them had good punters. All of them had good kicking games … I could see where Delaware is struggling a little bit offensively … another thing of all those four teams that impressed me was how HARD New Hampshire played. I think they may have the least talent of the four but God do they play hard.”

I tried to press him on whom he liked in the UMass-Delaware matchup, but he is obviously not allowed to comment on. I did at least get him to admit that he believes Delaware’s defense is stronger while UMass’s offense is better.

When I asked him about playing at Delaware in front of those sold-out crowds he had this to say: “The best crowds we have ever played in front of was Delaware and Montana. They both have passionate crowds who are very knowledgeable about football … That [Delaware] is a phenomenal place to play.” There we go again Griz fans, please pay attention to all these plugs before firing off those nasty e-mails.

So there you have it folks, a nice interview from a classy guy and a great coach in Bob Ford of Albany. I hope you enjoyed that and many thanks to coach Ford for taking time out of his busy schedule to talk to us.

Thanks GreatDanes06. Channelsurfing.net. That is freaking great!

I was sitting here watching Florida vs. Arkansas but it's just not the same when it's not your alma mater. I'd rather watch my dawgs

Archived