UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

John Puk Watch 2008

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like John Puk's first game of the season is listed as December 1st:

2008 Boys' Basketball Jamboree Info

Columbus Catholic is proud to host the 2008 Boys’ Basketball Jamboree. The date of the Jamboree is Monday, December 1, 2008. Listed below is pertinent information for the evening:

Game Schedule:

6:00 p.m. Waterloo East vs. Wapsie Valley

6:45 p.m. Waterloo West vs. N.U. High

• 3 weeks later...

Some good reading on John Puk from Cedar Valley Preps.

Puk, game continue to grow

By NICK PETAROS, Courier Sports Writer

WATERLOO --- As is the case with most kids of his stature, John Puk took some time growing into his 6-foot-9 frame.

"When I first got here, he was just kind of a skinny, tall kid," noted third-year Waterloo West head boys' basketball coach Courtney Henderson.

With plenty of hard work, determination and time in the weight room, Puk gained 20 pounds since last season, while developing into one of the state's premier big men.

"Now he has a great body, and that's a direct reflection of his work ethic," Henderson added.

"He's had to grow into that body, and his coordination and strength is tremendous. He has a Division I body."

After a successful summer basketball season with the Martin Brothers 19-and-under AAU team, Puk also has a Division I scholarship.

During a tournament stop in New York, the West center caught the attention of the University of Albany and was later offered a full ride. He will redshirt next season and is considered a member of the 2010 recruiting class.

"I'm really excited about that," Puk said of attending the America East Conference school that has made 13 NCAA Tournament appearances. "I've always dreamed of taking it to the next level, because it is an opportunity to continue to play ball and continue my education."

While Puk has already built himself into a Division I-caliber athlete, his major concern these days is helping build the West basketball program into a winner. During its previous three seasons, the Wahawks' varsity has won no more than four games with three-win campaigns each of the past two years.

Four games into this season, West has already matched last year's win total.

Puk broke through with 24 points Friday night during a 56-29 rout of Iowa City West. One day later, he blocked four shots and tallied 11 points in a 43-38 win over Waterloo Columbus.

"John is a born leader," Henderson said. "He's not one of those teammates that could easily come to practice and say, 'Well I have a scholarship to a Division I school. I really don't want to work today.'

"He doesn't have that mentality. He still wants to work for his teammates."

Simply put, Puk and his Wahawk teammates are tired of losing.

"Here at West High, losing kind of became a habit and that's just what people began to expect," Puk said. "When people expect it, that's kind of what happens. But you've got to get over that hump, turn it around and start winning some ball games."

Henderson considered last year a learning experience for his team. The Wahawks faced plenty of adversity as they lost their starting point guard in January and lost Puk for the final quarter of the season.

The center was throwing down dunks prior to an assembly before the Cedar Falls game. He slipped, used both hands to brace his fall and broke both wrists in the process.

Puk recovered quickly enough to put in a full summer of basketball.

Henderson said Puk was just starting to come into his own prior to last season's injury. This winter, the center has elevated his game.

Puk is averaging 12.5 points, six rebounds and 1.5 blocked shots.

"John has very good footwork for a guy of his size," Henderson said. "He runs the floor very well. At 6-9, he's very athletic and there's no doubt about it, he's one of the better bigs in the state."

The presence of 6-foot-7 junior forward TrayVonn Wright gives West an added dimension in its frontcourt and has helped ease the pressure on Puk.

"Trey and my goal is to basically just own the paint on defense," Puk said. "We feed off each other and play off each other's game quite a bit."

Off the court, Puk is strong academically with a 3.9 GPA. The National Honor Society member serves on West's student-athlete advisory committee and is the editor of the yearbook. He also participates in tennis.

On the court, Puk is joined by seniors Ryan Edwards and Max Shower as team captains. He believes his team's focus on defense has allowed the Wahawks to get off to a quick start, but he also realizes there are plenty of games yet to be played.

"It's been a fun experience to be a part of ground zero," Puk said. "West has been down the last couple of years, and we really look forward to turning the program around. We want to be trendsetters.

"West used to be a powerhouse in basketball. It would be nice to establish a good basketball program again and be the team that turned it around."

"I'm really excited about that," Puk said of attending the America East Conference school that has made 13 NCAA Tournament appearances. "I've always dreamed of taking it to the next level, because it is an opportunity to continue to play ball and continue my education."

Now, I would love to read something like that in about 11 or 12 years, but I wonder where the author picked up that piece of information??

Not having seen him or anything, from reading this article Jon looks like he'll fit in nicely with the new athletic movement. Is it me or is there a concerted effort to recruit kids more athletic with the last couple of classes and even the '09 and '10 classes? We've heard that Gavin can throw it down, now Jon and we've seen Ralph and his long stride and ups.

I like it!

Now, I would love to read something like that in about 11 or 12 years, but I wonder where the author picked up that piece of information??

They just aren't all D1.

They just aren't all D1.

Is that number possibly referring to NCAA appearances by all teams since entering Division I? Just a thought.

• 5 weeks later...

Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:02 PM CST

Wahawks post rare win at East

By JIM SULLIVAN, Courier Sports Writer

WATERLOO --- First came the ribbon-cutting.

Then Waterloo West decided to hold its own ceremony at Fred J. Miller Gynasium.

The Wahawk boys posted a rare victory on Waterloo East's homecourt Friday, knocking off the Trojans, 57-41.

Before the opening tap, East honored one of its greatest athletes. The school officially dedicated the Reggie Roby Fitness Center, named after the late Trojan and University of Iowa star football player.

After that, the night belonged to the Wahawks. At the final horn, they celebrated their sixth victory in eight outings this year. For West's Courtney Henderson, it was the first win over his old head coach at East, Steve McGraw.

"It's a big step forward," said Henderson, the Wahawk head man. "Anytime you come into an environment like this with the tradition over here and get a win against a quality coach that I admire, it's a great win for us. (McGraw) is a legend.

"My hat goes off to my kids. The kids really came in here and worked tonight."

The Wahawks played dominant basketball over the opening eight minutes Friday.

Consecutive 3-point baskets by Ryan Edwards and Trashon Montgomery hinted at West's effective mix of good perimeter shooting and strong inside play.

Meanwhile, East struggled against the Wahawks' man-to-man. defense The Trojans went 0-for-9 from the field in the first quarter and trailed, 12-0.

"I guess that was real important," West forward TrayVonn Wright said. "We played defense. That's what we had to do to win. That's what we specialize in is defense."

For East and McGraw, that zero was a troubling and familiar sight. The Trojans also went scoreless in a loss at Linn-Mar Tuesday.

"You put yourself in a big hole when you can't do anything," said McGraw after East dropped to 5-4 overall. "We were fighting from behind right from the start.

"I don't have the answer for it. If I did, we'd change it."

Nor could the Trojans change the game's direction. East finally broke its dry spell when Jaron Nash slammed home a transition basket at the 7 minute, 39-second mark of the second quarter. It never could catch West.

With the Wahawks getting offensive production from Edwards, Wright and 6-foot-9 John Puk, they maintained a double-digit lead for most of the game. West carried a 27-12 margin into the halftime break and stretched that edge to 45-26 late in the third period.

East staged a fourth-quarter rally, creeping within 10 points with 4:16 to play. Edwards then hit four consecutive free throws to stem the tide.

"A win is a win, but we can be more composed down the stretch, especially if we want to move forward during the season," Henderson said.

Edwards finished with 15 points for West, while Wright and Puk tallied 12 each.

Nash's 14 points paced East.

Contact Jim Sullivan at (319) 291-1434 or jim.sullivan@wcfcourier.com

WATERLOO WEST (57) - Ryan Edwards 4-6 4-6 15, Trashon Montgomery 4-7 0-2 9, Max Shower 0-1 0-0 0, TrayVonn Wright 5-9 1-3 12, John Puk 2-4 8-11 12, Trent Washington 2-3 4-4 9. Totals 17-30 17-26 57

WATERLOO EAST (41) - Devin Hoskins 1-3 2-2 4, Quinton Van Arsdale 1-9 2-2 4, Jaron Nash 4-13 6-11 14, Corey Turner 0-0 0-0 0, Tevin Browne 2-4 0-1 5, Darius Washington 3-6 2-4 9, Jerrone Mabry 1-1 1-2 3, Jamarkkus Evans 1-1 0-0 2, DaJour Sawyers 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 13-37 13-22 41

West 12 15 18 12 -- 57

East 0 15 11 15 -- 41

Three-point goals -- West 6 (Edwards 3, Montgomery 1, Wright 1, Washington 1). East 2 (Browne 1, Washington 1). Total fouls -- West 18, East 17. Fouled out -- Wright. Technical fouls -- Turner, Browne.

EAST SOPHS 59, WEST 32

WEST - Daleshondis Jones 8, DiMarco Mallet 4, Austin McMahon 6, David Jackson 7, Dominick Smith 5, Phinehas Starks 2

EAST -- Dajuan Campbell 13, Arkel Todd 3, Norman Grant 2, Shane Hodges 4, Dajohn Taylor 8, Toril Sudduth 9, Nick Schutte 16, Rashad Scott 4.

Puk Grabs MVC Honors

12/17/08

By Rick Smith

Jon Puk Named MVC Boys' Basketball Player of the Week

John was 9 for 13 from the field and a perfect 6 for 6 from the line to lead his resurgent Wahawk team to a dominant 56-29 over perennial power Iowa City West. He then added 11 to lead his team to a win over rival Waterloo Columbus. His 24 points was 3rd best in the MVC's 1st week.

http://wahawkathletics.multisportsystems.c....JPG?1229534859

From here.

12/1/08 - at Metro Jamboree (Waterloo West v. N.U. High)

12/5/08 - at CR Jefferson

3/3 FG, 6/6 FT, 12 points, 9 rebounds

12/6/08 - vs Durant

12/12/08 - vs IC West

9/14 FG, 6/6 FT, 24 points

12/13/08 - at Waterloo Columbus

3/8 FG, 5/6 FT, 11 points, 4 blocks

12/16/08 - vs. CR Xavier (CANCELED)

12/17/08 - Article on John Puk posted above puts his season averages at 12.5 points, 6 rebounds, 1.5 blocked shots.

12/19/08 - at DBQ Hempstead (CANCELED)

1/6/09 - at Linn-Mar

1/9/09 - vs Cedar Falls

3/5 FG, 1/2 FT, 7 points

1/13/09 - at CR Prairie

1/16/09 - at Waterloo East

2/4 FG, 8/11 FT, 12 points

1/17/09 - at Decorah (CANCELED)

1/22/09 - at DBQ Hempstead

2 FG, 5/6 FT, 9 points

1/23/09 - at DBQ Wahlert

1/27/09 - vs CR Jefferson

5 FG, 1/2 FT, 11 points

1/30/09 - at Cedar Falls

1/3 FG, 1/1 FT, 3 points

1/31/09 - at Waverly-Shell Rock

2/3/09 - vs DBQ Senior

2/6/09 - vs Waterloo East

2/7/09 - at Decorah (out of conference)

6 FG, 4/6 FT, 16 points, 4 blocks

2/10/09 - at CR Kennedy

2 FG, 4 points

2/13/09 - vs DBQ Hempstead

8/13 FG, 6/7 FT, 22 points, 6 blocks

2/17/09 - at IC City High

2 FG, 1/2 FT, 5 points (Fouled out)

2/20/09 - vs CR Washington

3 FG, 5/6 FT, 11 points

POSTSEASON

2/24/09 - vs Waterloo East

1/1 FG, 2/2 FT, 4 points

12/5/08

John Puk: 3/3 FG, 6/6 FT, 12 points, 9 rebounds.

From here.

C.R. JEFFERSON 57, WATERLOO WEST 48 – West wilted under fullcourt pressure and saw a 17-point third-quarter lead vanish in a non-conference loss to the J-Hawks.

Leading 34-17 a little more than a minute into the second half, the Wahawks gave up 11 turnovers as Jefferson (2-0) fashioned a 21-2 run that turned the game around. Senior all-stater Chad Underwood keyed the J-Hawks’ attack with 22 points and 11 rebounds.

John Puk and TraVonn Wright scored a dozen points apiece for West (0-1).

WATERLOO WEST (48) – Ryan Edwards 3-6 0-1 7, Trashon Montgomery 0-0 0-0 0, Max Shower 3-8 3-4 11, TraVonn Wright 5-7 2-2 12, John Puk 3-3 6-6 12, Max Nank 1-2 1-2 4, Trent Washington 0-4 2-2 2, Cody Cox 0-0 0-0 0, Dajour Smith 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 15-30 14-17 48.

C.R. JEFFERSON (57) – Cole Kramer 1-4 8-8 11, Sid Beck 2-4 1-3 5, Joby Frey 0-1 2-2 2, Chad Underwood 8-16 6-7 22, Justin Derby 0-2 0-0 0, Taylor Olson 4-4 2-4 12, Tyler Evans 1-3 1-2 3, Teyshawn Campbell 1-2 0-0 2. Totals 17-36 20-26 57.

Waterloo West 14 16 6 12 – 48

C.R. Jefferson 8 9 18 22 – 57

3-point goals – West 4-7 (Edwards 1-3, Shower 2-3, Nank 1-1); Jefferson 3-7 (Kramer 1-2, Frey 0-1, Olson 2-2, Evans 0-1, Campbell 0-1). Rebounds – West 21 (Puk 9), Jefferson 21 (Underwood 11). Team fouls – West 24, Jefferson 18. Fouled out – Edwards, Wright. Technical foul – Underwood. Turnovers – West 21, Jefferson 13.

Saturday, December 13, 2008 6:02 AM CST

West boys race past I.C. West

By KELLY BEATON, Courier Sports Writer

WATERLOO --- Waterloo West offered a free tutorial on fastbreak basketball and defense Friday.

Somehow, Iowa City West didn't seem appreciative.

The Wahawks' revamped, highly entertaining play kept the undivided attention of all in attendance at Siddens Gym, as Waterloo West's boys rolled to a 56-29 triumph.

"When we pick up the intensity on defense, it carries over to the offense," noted Wahawks big man John Puk, who poured in a game-high 24 points. "We're just more composed as a team; last year we were a little shaky."

The hosts shot 59 percent from the floor Friday and forced 16 Trojan turnovers in the first half alone.

Third-year Wahawks coach Courtney Henderson promised a vastly improved product this season. His team appeared poised to deliver Friday night.

TrayVonn Wright blocked shots with evil intent. Sophomore Trent Washington swiftly slashed to the rim. And 6-foot-9, 215-pound big man Puk outmuscled opponents down low --- and even punctuated one fastbreak with a fierce two-handed flush.

The scene was far different than last year, when the Wahawks limped to a 3-19 finish.

"We've got some talent," said Henderson, whose club improved to 2-1 Friday. "We've got some pieces."

Washington chipped in with 10 points, while Wahawk teammate Wright pulled down seven rebounds. Meanwhile, the hosts held Iowa City West's leading scorer, Tayler Bontrager, to nine points --- six below his average.

This one was never competitive. The Wahawks surged out of the gates to take a 28-8 halftime lead before coasting to victory lane.

Last year, an endless stream of Mississippi Valley Conference foes marched into Siddens Gym and overwhelmed Waterloo West. Not this year.

"Physically, they're better than us," acknowledged Trojans coach Steve Bergman.

"Defensively, we're really starting to get it and are coming into our own. In practice they're really getting after it," said Henderson, whose Wahawks return to action tonight when they visit rival Waterloo Columbus at 5 p.m.

Contact Kelly Beaton at (319) 291-1456 or kelly.beaton@wcfcourier.com

IOWA CITY WEST (29) “ Tayler Bontrager 2-10 4-6 9, Josh Broghamer 0-0 0-1 0, Jahrail Scott 2-5 0-1 4, Teague Case 1-1 0-0 2, Nefitali Lopez 3-4 1-2 7, Gavin Smith 1-4 3-5 5, David Rachke 0-2 1-2 1, Lucas McLeran 0-0 0-0 0, Clay Freeman 0-0 1-2 1, Andy Stratton 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 9-26 9-18 29.

WATERLOO WEST (56) “ Trayshon Montgomery 2-3 2-2 6, John Puk 9-14 6-6 24, TrayVonn Wright 1-4 0-2 2, Max Shower 2-2 0-0 4, Ryan Edwards 2-4 2-2 6, Trent Washington 5-9 0-0 10, Max Nank 2-3 0-0 4, Cody Cox 0-0 0-0 0, Dajour Smith 0-0 0-0 0, Dashawn Richardson 0-0 0-0 0, Antoine Knight 0-0 0-0 0, Jerrold Manago 0-0 0-0 0, Nathan Meisinger 0-0 0-0 0, Jared Place 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 23-39 10-12 56.

Iowa City West 5 3 7 14 “ 29

Waterloo West 16 12 9 19 “ 56

3-point goals “ Iowa City West 1 (Bontrager), Waterloo West 0. Total fouls “ Iowa City West 13, Waterloo West 12. Fouled out “ Scott (Iowa City West).

Archived