UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Penn @ Albany

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that it matters much at this point in the season (or at any point except for potential seeding in the NCAA Tournament should we make it that far), but insofar as RPI rank is concerned, UAlbany checks in at #53 (highest in the America East, with Vermont at #94). The other basketball program in the Albany metro-area is at #51.

Some post-game stories:

Great Danes run streak to four in a row - Gazette

UAlbany chomps on Penn - TU

Great to see Connelly more aggressive last night. He had a bit of a slow start this year but he's looked for his shot a little more the last couple of games. I liked the baby hook. I haven't seen him take that shot before but I'd like to see it some more.

Barraza has struggled with his shooting over the last couple of games. Hopefully he gets more time on Monday and a chance to get some shots to fall. We're going to need his shooting this year.

Bosi,

We out rebounded them by 3 not 11 and IMO Gifford had a good defensive first half and a pretty good game in total. All the guys have a defensive mistake at times. Sometimes because of too much aggression, and other times by not communicating and helping. It does appear to be getting better each game though.

alum,

Both Yahoo and ESPN boxscores show UA with 36 total rebounds rebounds and Penn with 25 rebounds.

Did you check the box score from the game on UA's web-site?

Bosi,

We out rebounded them by 3 not 11 and IMO Gifford had a good defensive first half and a pretty good game in total. All the guys have a defensive mistake at times. Sometimes because of too much aggression, and other times by not communicating and helping. It does appear to be getting better each game though.

alum,

Both Yahoo and ESPN boxscores show UA with 36 total rebounds rebounds and Penn with 25 rebounds.

Did you check the box score from the game on UA's web-site?

I just did and there seems to be a disparity with what Albany is reporting and what ESPN/yahoo are saying. What ever, it's not that big a deal, you seem to be blaming me like I made the numbers up. I'm simply reporting what two other sites are saying. If I'm wrong....so be it!

Speaking of free throws, anyone know whats up with Timmy from the line this year?? He shot 82 percent last year, and after tonight he'll probably be below 50 percent for this year. He is a fantastic player, and I am looking forward to phenomenal things from him the rest of the year, but I hope he figures out the FT situation soon...

He went 2-for-4 last night and is 7-for-13 on the year. The first game of the season he went 0-for-3, so he is 7-for-10 since and had hit 5 of 6 in the 3 games leading up to Penn. With 13 total attempts spread out in that fashion, I think it is way too small of a sample size to even indicate a FT "situation" that needs to be figured out.

Although the overall TO were down, I have to echo the sentiments of a couple previous posters with respect to the full-court press. we looked completely out of sorts against it, and it was the very first double-team that seemed to give us trouble. At this point, we've got to get comfortable enough to get it across halfcourt and get into our offense without such effort, but long term I'd hope we are able to do even more. We have the ball-handlers and athletes to, in theory, be able to make an opposing team pay for pressing by taking advantage immediately once it is broken, and I'd like to see that mentality develop.

Some thoughts on individual players, without simply repeating what others have said about the good contributions from Timmy, Raffa, Connelly, etc. -

Jerel Hastings impressed me. I haven't been that huge a fan of his, but I really did like what he brought to last night's game. He actually seemed comfortable trying to score the ball (which is a big of a change) and I love the fact he finished strong with the dunk in transition rather than a layup. Add that to the solid D he always brings and I really liked the overall game he had. (I'm not sure how I feel about the offense-defense subbing that went on for much of the second half, but that's not Jerel's call and I've obviously got to defer to Coach Brown - it just seems like it might be very tough to get into a rhythm.)

Brett Gifford had another solid game on the boards and played good D down low. He seemed to lose his guy a few times when he stepped back to take a long shot, but I'd honestly rather see Giff play back and make the opposing big guy hit a couple of those rather than step all the way out onto the perimeter. Last night the opposing guy wasn't hitting from outside, but I think there may be some matchups, especially in conference play, where it will be tough to ask Giff to play a forward-playing-center man-to-man. On D down low, although there were a couple occasions where he was sealed off - leading to relatively easy hoops - he did a very good job for the most part staying between his guy and the hoop and "playing tall" - standing straight up so as not to be called for the foul and making the guy take tough shots over him (and picking up a couple bocks in the process).

Pick your cliche - he has a high basketball IQ, he has great court vision, etc - but it seems to me that Billy Allen just gets it on the basketball floor. He played good D in the second half and seems to position himself well to do the little things. The UAlbany box score doesn't give him credit for an offensive boards, but IIRC, there was a play where he went up against 2 Penn guys for a board and tapped it to an open Giff (who I think then hit the short shot). Watching it real time, I was sure that it was a purposeful tip.

On another note, can someone who saw the DePaul or Bryant games, or who is from Arizona and saw him play there, confirm that Louis Barraza is really a dead-eye 3-point shooter? He shoots them like he has great confidence in his shot, out to the NBA three line and beyond, but I haven't seen them fall. I don't recall the 'Nova 3, and he hasn't hit one at home yet. It's only a few games in and way too early to tell a shooter to stop shooting, I'd just like to hear from someone who has seen him light it up.

Overall, a very solid win over a quality opponent and I think a small improvement in only a couple of areas can make us a very dangerous team in the AE.

One thing I forgot to mention was the new looks in terms of lineup that were out there in the second half - particularly with respect to the backcourt.

At one point, Barraza was playing the 1 and, while I think he is still a clear backup option there, it was interesting to see him in that role and probably good to have him get some experience there - just in case.

Soon after, we actually had a lineup where Timmy seemed to be playing the 1 spot.

No in-depth analysis, just something I thought was interesting to see and worth mentioning since it struck me while I was watching the game.

Overall I agree with a lot of whats being said. I though last night was UA's most complete effort of the season, and I think Timmy is establishing himself as the go-to guy on this team. The way he was able to penetrate a group of two or three guys and come out with an easy lay-up reminded me of the Jamar days, and Raffa had a nice breakout game. I was also impressed with the way Harris was taking a leadership role on the court down the stretch.

Two things upset me though. First of all, I think Gifford looks COMPLETELY LOST on defense, as he has been for 2 years. He could not defend his man on the perimeter last night, and looked like he was running around aimlessly when the team was playing a zone. He doesnt really contribute on offense either. I understand he gets a block or two a game, but they arent that impressive, and while he's a decent rebounder, i prefer the smaller lineup with Connolly, Harris, and Hastings up front (All three of whom are good rebounders). Considering how highly touted he was coming out of HS, I think he's been a big disappointment.

Secondly, it seems as though Coach Brown is always screaming at Ambrose. I know he isnt the best defender on the team, but he isnt the worst either. Its not as bad as last season, where he'd make one mistake and get pulled for an entire half, but I wonder if he'll ever get out of the doghouse

Talking about Tim Ambrose........

but I wonder if he'll ever get out of the doghouse - URUAfan

I think Tim is doing a better job this season and understands what the team are trying to do!!!!

I don't think he's in the doghouse at all.

I think Coach gets in his ear because Tim has a tendency to lose focus (if not reminded).

In fact I told a friend of mine that it speaks volumes of how far Tim has come and how much Coach respects him by Coach having Tim on the court at the end of games especially when we're on defense.

I guess we all view the same game differently, which is fine of course.

I have some of the same thoughts as Zalman..Gifford played a solid game for us last night..if he was a 6'11" big man who could run the floor like a gazelle, score a ton, lock down the perimeter against a shooting center/foward, etc., he'd be in the ACC and not the America East..he played solid defense and often trapped off baseline-driving guards without picking up too many fouls (only 2)..he got locked off a few times, but that's what Penn's motion offense is designed to do sometimes, especially with 3-point shooters from the 4/5 spots.

I think Ambrose and Coach are fine..I'm not sure being a starter while averaging the 4th most minutes on the team means he's in the doghouse..being stern with Ambrose on the court is nothing that Coach saves only for him..I remember a number of times during yesterday's game that Coach was stern with both Harris and Raffa, as well as Ambrose.

Trying to fight through the traps towards the end of the game looked pretty ugly and certainly showed an area for improvement, but I was pleased to see that we still kept control of the game..despite 3 consecutive turnovers at one point, the team never let the lead get below 5-7 points..we strained under the pressure of the Penn trap, but never really cracked..I was happy to see that..young, unexperienced and unfamiliar teams tend to lose 'close' games like this and CCSU..we've managed to pull out wins.

Overall I agree with a lot of whats being said. I though last night was UA's most complete effort of the season, and I think Timmy is establishing himself as the go-to guy on this team. The way he was able to penetrate a group of two or three guys and come out with an easy lay-up reminded me of the Jamar days, and Raffa had a nice breakout game. I was also impressed with the way Harris was taking a leadership role on the court down the stretch.

Two things upset me though. First of all, I think Gifford looks COMPLETELY LOST on defense, as he has been for 2 years. He could not defend his man on the perimeter last night, and looked like he was running around aimlessly when the team was playing a zone. He doesnt really contribute on offense either. I understand he gets a block or two a game, but they arent that impressive, and while he's a decent rebounder, i prefer the smaller lineup with Connolly, Harris, and Hastings up front (All three of whom are good rebounders). Considering how highly touted he was coming out of HS, I think he's been a big disappointment.

Secondly, it seems as though Coach Brown is always screaming at Ambrose. I know he isnt the best defender on the team, but he isnt the worst either. Its not as bad as last season, where he'd make one mistake and get pulled for an entire half, but I wonder if he'll ever get out of the doghouse

I echo Patch's sentiments. Additionally, the only time I saw Brown get after Timmy was a play in which I turned to my guest and said: "Watch this...Timmy's going to get lost and screamed at."

Coach specifically told him to watch the backdoor...you can hear Coach scream it...off of an out-of-bounds play near the end of the game at a crucial moment. Timmy acknowledged it...but then blew the exact assignment Coach had told him to watch for. As was the case last year, Timmy then fumbled the immediate pass in after the basket....his concentration wandering.

As Patch said, however, notice the difference: Coach got on Timmy...then brought him over to explain it. Last year, Timmy would have funked out from that point on....but it speaks volumes about the kid and the Coach that he continued to play hard and smart from that point on....and Coach left him in. As Patch stated...that is huge.

As a friend told me, people forget that Jamar was pretty much similar to Timmy in his mistakes, lack of D....what not. Difference was, we were winning 5 games or so a year then and we could live with his mistakes. Now we are expected to win at least 50% of the time at the min. Timmy's mistakes are no different...the magnitude is just greater with the expectations. TIMMY HAS DONE A FANTASTIC JOB THIS YEAR...though he still makes his mistakes.

As for GIFFORD-- he is doing what needs to be done and that is be a space eater much like Kirsten was. Offensively he doesnt have the game of Kirsten....but defensively you must be watching the wrong game. Kid had 7 boards and 2 blocks and clogs the lane; I WILL TAKE THAT.

As for GIFFORD-- he is doing what needs to be done and that is be a space eater much like Kirsten was. Offensively he doesnt have the game of Kirsten....but defensively you must be watching the wrong game. Kid had 7 boards and 2 blocks and clogs the lane; I WILL TAKE THAT.

I must have been watching the same game (not the game you were watching) as were 2 or 3 guys sitting with me in section 200. We all found ourselves shaking our heads a couple of times. Perhaps it wasn't all Giff's fault and perhaps it was great execution by Penn and their motion offense but you cannot honestly sit there and tell me that Giff didn't get beat like a red headed step child on a number of plays. True, he did also have a number of really good defensive plays more good then bad, he did a great job taking up space down low and for that I appreciate his contribution. I appreciate him playing hard, I love the fact that he appears more mobile and gritty then he's been in the past. The kid obviously leaves it all out there and for that you have to give him his props but lets be fair here, he did AT TIMES (not all the time) look lost. The rest of the team appeared to have done fine with all the switching and handing off of the ball....he looked lost on more then one occasion. It's really not that big a deal, he is still learning like the rest of the team and Penn was very very good at what they do. I don't mean to single Giff out I'm just saying that I agree with the observations of some of the other posters.

Like you, I will take this kind of performance from him every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Not all teams are as adapt at switching and running off screens like Penn was and they must be given some of the credit for sealing him off. Giff is a good kid and a solid player, he got beat a couple of times....it's OK!

I must have been watching the same game (not the game you were watching) as were 2 or 3 guys sitting with me in section 200. We all found ourselves shaking our heads a couple of times. Perhaps it wasn't all Giff's fault and perhaps it was great execution by Penn and their motion offense but you cannot honestly sit there and tell me that Giff didn't get beat like a red headed step child on a number of plays. True, he did also have a number of really good defensive plays more good then bad, he did a great job taking up space down low and for that I appreciate his contribution. I appreciate him playing hard, I love the fact that he appears more mobile and gritty then he's been in the past. The kid obviously leaves it all out there and for that you have to give him his props but lets be fair here, he did AT TIMES (not all the time) look lost. The rest of the team appeared to have done fine with all the switching and handing off of the ball....he looked lost on more then one occasion. It's really not that big a deal, he is still learning like the rest of the team and Penn was very very good at what they do. I don't mean to single Giff out I'm just saying that I agree with the observations of some of the other posters.

Like you, I will take this kind of performance from him every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Not all teams are as adapt at switching and running off screens like Penn was and they must be given some of the credit for sealing him off. Giff is a good kid and a solid player, he got beat a couple of times....it's OK!

Take what I say with all due respect: Watching the game...and understanding intricate nuances of the game are COMPLETELY different things. I am not saying you dont know baskeball...what I am saying is that others have a different understanding than you and your folks regarding positioning, schemes, etc. The entire team, btw, got beat by that offense. I have played both with and against that D...and as Coach made it perfectly clear...it is confusing.

Was Gifford fantastic- NO. He is what he is and exactly what we need. Anyone not seeing that I can respect...understanding his value and worth on the court is a completely different thing. That kid does what he is supposed to and is light years ahead of his frosh year.

Archived