UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany offers scholarship to PA point guard

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Randall rifles in 27 points as Kennedy Catholic beats Sewickley Academy

March 13, 2009 11:45 pm

— By Ed Farrell

Herald Assistant Sports Editor

SLIPPERY ROCK — Kennedy Catholic High boys basketball team may be the commonwealth’s top-ranked Class A club, but the Golden Eagles’ energetic edge during Friday night’s PIAA western regional semifinal with Sewickley Academy was their underdog mentality.

“Even if we aren’t the underdogs, we always take that attitude, because it makes us play harder and keeps us motivated,” summarized senior standout Kyle Randall.

The Golden Eagles eased to a 42-26 bulge through 3 periods, then Kennedy converted 19 of 27 fourth-frame free throws en route to a 65-50 win at Slippery Rock University’s Morrow Field House.

By virtue of the victory, Kennedy Catholic (25-2) will meet Elk County Catholic (23-7), a 63-51 winner over defending commonwealth kingpin Serra Catholic — next Tuesday for the regional championship.

KC has been KO’d by Serra Catholic and DuBois Central Catholic the past 2 seasons — by a cumulative 3 points — one step shy of state, but Randall’s resolve remains focused.

“We’re always looking for a challenge, the target’s always on our back. Kennedy Catholic is known for big games,” Randall related. “There’s a lot of pressure on us since we got there the last two years, but we believe this is our year to go all the way so that’s what we’re trying to do.”

Unlike its pair of opening-round wins over Keystone and Tussey Mountain, in which they had to rally from 1st-quarter and 1st-half deficits, the Golden Eagles easily etched their most productive opening-half — by far. With Phil Kaikis, Aundra Jones and Randall recording 10, 8 and 8 points, respectively, Kennedy claimed a 30-18 margin at intermission, extending its edge from 18-7 after 8 minutes. Conversely, Sewickley Academy annexed only 6-for-22 shooting.

“In our bigger games, we’ve gotten off to a good start; we didn’t (Friday) night, we were always digging from a hole,” summarized Sewickley Academy head coach Win Palmer. “I think we were a little tight, for whatever reason. Everything was just out of sync before we took the floor; I could just sense it,” Palmer added, referencing an almost exclusive underclassmen contingent from a few years ago that advanced to the state title tilt.

Sewickley standout Tom Droney did not display one of his better performances, at least during that 1st half. The Panthers’ prime point-producer (22.3 per game, including 40 in the WPIAL title tilt triumph over Serra Catholic) labored through a 1-for-9 shooting effort.

“There’s been some games where he’s not gotten off to a good start, but other guys have stepped up, but that didn’t happen (Friday) night,” Palmer admitted. “That allows him to just relax and play his game. But nobody got into a rhythm. I couldn’t look at anybody and say, ‘That guy played a great game out there.’”

Two pivotal points led to the final frame’s free-throw shooting contest: Senior Phil Kaikis connected for a pair of 1st-period triples, courtesy of Randall passes, while Jake Penn produced a pair of 3rd-period 3-point plays — one a trey and another of the traditional variety — when Randall crashed to the floor, hitting his head with 2:01 remaining and Kennedy clinging to a 34-24 lead.

“I knew they were going to key on Kyle, so I had to step up. They left me open, so I just shot,” Kaikis confided after connecting for 12 points. “I was real loose, and I just knew I had to be ready to come out and play and give a spark to my team, and I did.”

With the Golden Eagles easing to a 16-point lead entering the 4th frame, Randall recorded 11-for-16 marksmanship, while Jones, Michael Klaric and Kaikis converted 3, 3 and 2 freebies apiece as KC converted 19 of 27 from the sin stripe during the concluding 8 minutes.

“Someone needed to step up and keep it under control and finish the victory, so we had to take that (second) half,” Klaric commented. “I didn’t feel like we were the underdogs. I think Sewickley thought we were the underdogs. We read the paper (Friday) and saw the comments and I think that motivated us.”

Randall roared to a team-high 27 points — 2 fewer than Droney, after the latter deposited 22 second-half points — but Randall also recorded a half-dozen assists and a handful of rebounds.

Also keying Kennedy in addition to Randall, Kaikis and Klaric (4 assists, 5 rebounds) was Jones, who jolted the Panthers for 11 points, a game-high 9 rebounds and 3 blocked shots. The Golden Eagles ended 26 for 35 from the foul line, offsetting only 18-for-44 field-goal shooting.

Third-year mentor Marlon McGaughy mentioned the underdog mentality motivated his minions.

“I don’t think we were the underdog, but the players felt like we were the underdogs ’cause (others) hadn’t been giving us a chance all year, they said our schedule wasn’t strong, so we came out to play (Friday) night,” McGaughy mentioned, adding in regard to his Golden Eagles’ early edge, “I thought we kind’ve played well; we just couldn’t hit shots that last game (Tussey Mountain), but I didn’t think we were going to have another game like that.”

And regarding the Golden Eagles’ goal, McGaughy gushed, “This feels good, but we’ve got one goal, and that’s to win state, but it’s all about the kids. As long as the kids’re happy, I’m happy,” he reiterated.

Echoed Randall — who has rifled in 1,960 career points, 8 behind former Hickory High standout Geoff Evans (1,968) for 4th-place in Mercer County cage annals among males — after slaying Sewickley:

“This feels great, but that’s not our goal,” Randall said, before pausing for effect and emphasizing, “(the goal is) a state championship.”

Notes: Sewickley Academy (23-5) shot 17 for 48 from the field, but only 14 for 18 from the free-throw line, led by Droney’s 14-for-17 accuracy. ... Kennedy committed 11 miscues, but only 3 during the 1st half, while the Panthers produced 17 turnovers. ... The Golden Eagles enjoyed a 36-32 edge on the glass. Droney (8) and Peter Schramm (7) paced the Panthers. ... KC junior forward Rocky Farmartino drew a pair of technical fouls, and thereby was ejected from the game and is ineligible for Tuesday’s tilt. The 1st. with 2:08 remaining in the 1st frame, was called as he was exhorting Kennedy’s crowd by waving his arms and he inadvertently clipped one of the Panthers’ players.

———

PIAA CLASS A WESTERN REGION SEMIFINALS

KENNEDY 18 12 12 23 65

SEWICKLEY 7 8 11 24 50

KENNEDY CATHOLIC — Randall 5-17-22-27, Kaikis 4-2-2-12, Jones 4-3-5-11, Klaric 0-3-5-3, Farmartino 1-0-0-2, Yatsko 0-0-0-0, Penn 3-1-1-8, Hardin 1-0-0-2. 3-pt. goals: Kaikis 2, Penn 1. Totals: 18-26-35-65.

SEWICKLEY ACADEMY — Droney 7-14-17-29, Bonomo 2-0-0-4, Schramm 2-0-0-4, Blodis 3-0-1-6, Palmer 2-0-0-5, Roberts 0-0-0-0, Timpona 0-0-0-0, Motley 1-0-0-2, Ahean 0-0-0-0, Cox 0-0-0-0, Churchin 0-0-0-0. 3-pt. goals: Droney 1, Palmer 1. Totals: 17-14-18-50.

Copyright © 1999-2008 cnhi, inc.

From here.

Evaluation from October 2008 located here:

Evaluation

October, 2008: Randall is a true scoring point guard who led the entire state of Pennsylvania in scoring as a junior (26.5 ppg). He possesses excellent speed and quickness for the one position. His mid-range game is his best attribute as he can pull up and consistently knock down jumpers or take the ball to the rim. Kyle can get in the lane against anyone with his speed. He can also kick the ball to open teammates if he needs to. He can shoot the three but he is most comfortable attacking off the dribble. He compares to 2009 guard Tim Frazier (Houston/Strake Jesuit/Committed to Penn State) but is a better shooter. Some Big East teams are starting to sniff around.

Notes

Travel Team: Ohio Basketball Club...Leading scorer in state of Pennsylvania as a junior (26.5 ppg)...Became all-time leading scorer at Kennedy Catholic...Cleveland State is also in the mix...

I brought his name up in the recruiting thread a couple of days ago...this guy would be an AWESOME get based on what I've seen. Please, please let it happen....although I gotta say, seeing what other programs are involved...we are probably a long shot.

Hopefully he won't pull the trigger and commit this Sunday at least give us a chance.

Quite a few stories in the local paper - http://www.sharonherald.com/. Here's a good one on Randall.

Randall becomes area's all-time leading scorer in title game

March 20, 2009 10:29 pm

— Kyle Randall reached down deep, displaying dignity in the face of defeat Friday afternoon.

Kennedy Catholic High’s senior standout had just concluded his scholastic cage career as Mercer County’s all-time leading scorer, but never mentioned the accomplishment until the subject was broached by an observer.

Instead, Randall was remorseful he and the Golden Eagles ended their season a step shy of their goal — the PIAA pedestal — after Girard College inflicted an 80-70 setback at Penn State University’s Bryce Jordan Center for the commonwealth’s Class A crown.

During the second half specifically, Randall spent more time helping himself off the hardwood than he was actually upright or airborne, such was the Cavaliers’ concerted effort to not allow him to beat them. They made him work for every one of his game-high 33 points (on 10-for-21 shooting from the field and 13-for-17 free-throw marksmanship), with 5-foot-9 whippet Ahmir Whiting face-guarding him and 6-3 Lance Devero lending a physical dimension to double teams. Randall played virtually the entire second half on a sprained left ankle, sustained approximately 2 minutes in after he was clubbed to the floor on a drive.

“He’s an exceptional player,” said admiring Cavs’ coach Tyrone Morris regarding Randall. “All week we had been reading about him on-line and we had opportunities to see some tape on him. He has the pull-up, he’s quick off the dribble, and he can get to the basket. So we just wanted to not give him any easy baskets, make him earn every basket, and it looks like he did a good job of that (Friday). He earned a lot of baskets, but we just wanted to make it tough on him, make sure hands were up, and when he was driving to the basket, not foul him and make him earn every basket. And I believe we did that.”

Randall recorded 724 points this season — converting 223 of 299 free-throw attempts (74.5 percent) — to conclude his career with 2,022 points, 7 more than former Commodore Perry standout Clay Sindlinger. However Friday afternoon, moments after having his silver medal hung around his neck, his personal accomplishment was tainted.

Given his ’druthers, Randall replied to the question, “I would’ve taken a state championship any day. No, (the record) means nothing to me, ’cause scoring was never my goal; I was trying to get a state championship, so this is just a bonus. But I’m not going to really worry about that, I’m not going to harp on that because it’s all about the state championship. Unfortunately (the record) came with a loss, so it is what it is.

“I’m the leader of the team, so I try to get everybody involved. I mean, scoring ... I only do it if I have to,” Randall continued. “When I need to score, I’ll score. But if we’re winning when I’m getting everybody involved, then I’m going to keep doing what’s working. Unfortunately, our players missed a couple shots here and there, but I’m not gonna say we played bad, ’cause we played our hearts out; it’s just that (the Cavaliers) had the better game (Fri)day.”

Normally understated Kennedy Catholic head coach Marlon McGaughy gave Randall respect for his warrior’s mentality:

“(The ankle) was pretty sore, but Kyle’s a great kid. You’d almost have to push him off a bridge for him to not play a game, and he’d be under water and probably still come back up and keep trying to play.”

Who said Kyle Randall isn’t a champion?

Ed Farrell is assistant sports editor for The Herald

Copyright © 1999-2008 cnhi, inc.

According to Maxprep junior year stats (which I think may be incomplete), he had 111 assists and 68 steals in 22 games, for very good averages of 5.0 apg and 3.1 steals per game. According to the same site, he shot 66% from 2-point FG range, 41% from 3-point FG range, and 76% from the line. Hell of a season, even as a junior.

Pic 1

Pic 2

FWIW..he's be the highest rated player in the class of 09 going to any MAAC or AE schools...just look at the teams involved.

I think it is our job as "boosters" to do everything possible to get this kid here.

With the high level of competing offers we might need to step in and buy the kid's dad a tractor. Who's in?

Pic 1

Pic 2

FWIW..he's be the highest rated player in the class of 09 going to any MAAC or AE schools...just look at the teams involved.

I think it is our job as "boosters" to do everything possible to get this kid here.

With the high level of competing offers we might need to step in and buy the kid's dad a tractor. Who's in?

Buy him what ever the heck he wants......maybe Mark S. can do some investigative work for us and find out what they need around the house...maybe a car....a wind turbine to help them with electric bills......a new septic pump perhaps

Buy him what ever the heck he wants......maybe Mark S. can do some investigative work for us and find out what they need around the house...maybe a car....a wind turbine to help them with electric bills......a new septic pump perhaps

IMDB doesn't have any quotes for Blue Chips that involves the tractor. I am certainly not going to rent that movie to try to find a funny quote...

IMDB doesn't have any quotes for Blue Chips that involves the tractor. I am certainly not going to rent that movie to try to find a funny quote...

I love that movie.

As for Kyle, I really hope he comes here but I honestly doubt it will happen. If he does come I just hope, if he is that good, he stays for all 4 years....

As for Kyle, I really hope he comes here but I honestly doubt it will happen. If he does come I just hope, if he is that good, he stays for all 4 years....

This pretty much echoes my sentiments.

I think we would have to be considered a dark horse at best, but maybe Coach Brown can pull some magic.

My biggest concern with Raffa leaving is replacement level: Will the next PG recruit be a step forward or a step backward? If this kid decides to come here I wouldn't miss Raffa so much.

We have to keep pushing this program forward.

Archived