UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Men's Basketball PG Commitment- Mike Black

On the surface, I was a little bit dissapointed in the fact that we got Black in lieu of the more "popular" target which was Randall. However, after doing some research and reading all the things everybody has posted, I am actually quite satisfied with this committment. Black sounds like academics are a huge priority with him, meaning he should be at this university for four years. On top that, all reports indicate he is nothing short of a true PG, which is something this team has been lacking since I have been at this University. I am very excited for the tools this young man will bring to the court next season!

Just a tad bit off topic, but I think next season's squad has the potential to really compete for an AE title. Harris and Ambrose are bonafide studs, and should only continue to grow with another season under their belts. Add in the health of Logan and Barrazza, and you now have the perimeter shooting this team was lacking at points during the season. Considering all that, plus the very nice incoming freshman class and the continued development of Gifford's offensive game, I think we can really surprise some people next year...thoughts anyone?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rock the Cape, just my opinion - don't count on anyone you haven't seen play.

1st off all recruits look good on paper or they wouldn't be recruited.

Mike Black seems to be just what we needed but we haven't seen him play yet.

Lindfors and Aronhalt we haven't seen yet.

The rest of the newbies we haven't seen yet.

But we do have Timmy and Wiil returning and they are atleast 3rd team All AE players

Gifford showed promise at times offensively late in the year and has always been solid on "D"

Mike Johnson showed me alot down the stretch.

Barraza shot 37% from 3 in AE play and couldn't move - if he gets healthy he could be dynamic for this team

Allen stuggled mightly offensively but lets remember he was injured most of his SR HS season and missed his true freshman year at UA with major back surgery, this coming year he could show big improvement

All 6 of these guys are experienced with a little help from Lindfors, Aronhalt and the newbies and we could be improved.

Does anyone know what type of competition Mike played against in HS? Just trying to gauge who he went up against in compiling 15ppg 3apg averages

I don't know that this speaks to how good the competition is but Fenwick was one of the teams that played St. Josephs in the movie "Hoop Dreams." The Farragut team that MB's team beat in the playoffs (story mentioned) is where Kevin Garnett went to school.

From the article above...Xavier Humphrey committed to Memphis but might follow Calipari to Kentucky. I believe that's the name I saw in the ESPN vid at work. So that just shows you what kind of team/what kind of players the team Black was on is producing.

Not the same Xavier...that Xavier is Xavier Henry!

Interesting side note here.

Xavier's brother, C.J., was set to go to Kansas out of high school on a basketball scholarship in 2005. The Yankees drafted him, offered him seven figures, and he played minor league ball for the Yankees and Phillies. This past August he decided to try basketball again and walked-on to Memphis.

Like sands through the hour-glass...

Been doing a bit more reading on Black....apparently he was selected to the All-Catholic League first team in Chicago putting up 15.2ppg, 4rpg and 2.4apg.....trying to find out who else was on the first team and where they went/are going.

Edited by bosiydid

From Illinoishsbasketball.com.....

2009 guard Mike Black- Fenwick

o North Florida landed a bona fide point guard in Black. His jet quickness combined with his ability to penetrate the lane makes him a quality point guard. His advanced court vision will help him lead an under the radar Fenwick team this season.

Does anyone know what type of competition Mike played against in HS? Just trying to gauge who he went up against in compiling 15ppg 3apg averages

I don't know that this speaks to how good the competition is but Fenwick was one of the teams that played St. Josephs in the movie "Hoop Dreams." The Farragut team that MB's team beat in the playoffs (story mentioned) is where Kevin Garnett went to school.

Always impressed at the stuff that members on this Board remember!!

The 2008-2009 high school basketball season tipped off this week around the state. The City/Suburban Hoops Report, which begins its 14th season of covering the high school basketball scene in Illinois, takes a look at the top 65 college prospects to check out in a gym this winter.

52. Mike Black, 5-11, PG, Oak Park (Fenwick) .... A player who knows what he is--a true point guard, with a good first step and ability to get into the lane and to the basket. Heading to North Florida Albany.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsreport/2008...65_in_2009.html

As the holiday tournaments take a one-day break before picking up again Monday, Dec. 29, one of the stories of this holiday tournament season thus far has been the play of some of the second-tier college prospects. They may not be ranked in the top 10 or 20 in the senior class, they may not be headed to high-major colleges or have even committed to a school yet. But they have shined bright so far in holiday tournament action.

Here is a look at a few of those players that have lifted their teams with their stellar play.

Mike Black, Fenwick. Truly one of the underrated guards in the state. Black can break an opponent down off the dribble, penetrate at will and get to the basket. Most importantly, he understands his role, doesn't try to do too much and makes good decisions. He was sensational in his team's win over Foreman, whether it was scoring 26 points or setting up teammates. Black and Fenwick did lose to in the quarterfinals but Black and Fenwick continue to surprise.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/cgi-bin/mt-searc...IncludeBlogs=72

Edited by slickwilly

• 2 weeks later...
Looking at those pictures I feel pretty good. I'm about twice his age and I only have to wear half the number of patellar support straps that he does.

Seriously, nice find with the pics. I'll await the video...

I've actually managed to watch a couple of his games. He looks like a nice player although the games I watched were from last year, undoubtedly he's improved since then. I've been overzealous in the past with hyping incoming recruits so I'll take a wait and see approach with Mike.

• 4 years later...

Derek Tartt

Video | Scouts Report SG Chicago, IL

Brewster Academy 6'3'' 180

•  

Ralph Watts

Video | Scouts Report #142 SG Peekskill, NY

Peekskill High School 6'6'' 200

•  

Blake Metcalf

Video | Scouts Report #69 C Plainfield, IN

Plainfield High School 6'9'' 250

•  

Gavin Glanton

Video | Scouts Report #180 PF Forrest City, AR

Forrest City High School 6'7'' 200

•  

Mike Black

Video | Scouts Report #140 PG Oak Park, IL

Fenwick High School 6'0'' 170

•  

Fran Urli

Video | Scouts Report PF Carthage, TX

Panola College 6'8'' JC

Jacob Iati

Video | Scouts Report #107 PG York, PA

York Catholic High School 5'11'' 165

•  

Kind of funny to go back and look at past recruiting rankings. Here's last year's senior class including players who transferred out. The two guys who made this March so much fun are, of course, the lowest ranked guys.