UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Men's Basketball PG Commitment- Mike Black

http://illinoishsbasketball.com/index.php?...19&Itemid=1

6 Committed Sleepers to Watch

Seth Evans 6-0 G Seneca (Wisconsin Green-Bay)

Troy Snyder 6-7 F Bollingbrook (Wisconsin Green-Bay)

Matt Sullivan 6-4 wing Loyola (Brown)

Colin Nickerson 6-3 G Waukegan (Fairfield)

Zeke Upshaw 6-5 wing (Illinois State)

Mike Black 6-1 PG Fenwick (Albany)

I changed the school for Black

Now we're talking. Nice link. Good to see.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoopmasters Van Coleman had this to say when Mike committed to North Florida......

Matt Kilcullen and his North Florida staff made a major inroad in the Chicago area adding 6-0 point Mike Black...

We caught up with Windy City Spartans head coach Orlandus Thomas and he informed us that his 6-0 point guard Mike Black from Oak Park Fenwick High had committed to North Florida.

"North Florida is a great fit for Mike," Coach Thomas told Hoopmasters. "They are an up and coming program."

"The staff did a great job recruiting Mike, especially assistant coach Evans Davis who has been on him from the day he saw him. With the Mike's commitment, they've opened up a pipeline to Chicago area talent!"

Mike ran the show for the Spartans this past summer and drew raves from Coach Thomas.

"He has the complete package, He can hit the open jumper or break you down off the dribble. He can finish in traffic or dish the rock to the open man. He's also an aggressive defender."

Look for him to have an immediate impact as a freshman for the Ospreys!

So in the end I guess we got the best of North Florida (2008-2009: 8-22, 335 RPI, Divison I for 5? years) and a Division II school in Lewis.

Maybe I should take some time to digest this, but at face value it looks like a step down in replacement value.

I might be wrong but weren't we Jamar's only offer when he signed (early?) Copenrath also only had one offer. I'm certainly not saying MB will be either one of those two players but I don't think you can write him off for that. He's ranked the same as Glanton. Good student, high basketball IQ, we could certainly do worse than that.

I might be wrong but weren't we Jamar's only offer when he signed (early?) Copenrath also only had one offer. I'm certainly not saying MB will be either one of those two players but I don't think you can write him off for that. He's ranked the same as Glanton. Good student, high basketball IQ, we could certainly do worse than that.

Don't worry. I'm mellowing after not seeing those sky-high recruiting numbers early.

I'll gladly take four years of him outliving his high school assessment (or even just four years where he is dedicated to the program but the numbers don't show up).

Also, did you see how quickly Singelais got an update up? That was nice work.

From Chicago.......

Head Coach Will Brown, Chad O'Donnell, And The University At Albany Land Class Of 2009 Fenwick Star Mike Black Of The Windy City Spartans

Chicago Hoops

March 31, 2009

Email Questions/Comments To brian@chicagohoops.com

Class of 2009 Fenwick star Mike Black of the Windy City Spartans has given a verbal commitment to play his college basketball for head coach Will Brown, and the University at Albany. Black had originally signed with North Florida ahead of opening up his recruitment following a coaching change.

Black, a 6'0" point guard, is known both for his ability to run a team, and also for his ability to score the basketball. Black is coming off of a superb senior season which saw him team with Xavier Humphrey (Winona State) on a Fenwick team that was once again very strong.

Black originally signed with the University of North Florida ahead of a head coaching change at the school. He ultimately decided to obtain his release, and re-opened his recruitment. He visited the Albany campus over the weekend, and decided that the school was a great fit.

Assistant coach Chad O'Donnell was instrumental in landing Black to Albany. O'Donnell has actively recruited Chicago for years for the Albany program, and was also the point man in Albany's landing both 6'6" Jimmie Covington (Chicago Morgan Park) and 6'10" Jake Lindfors (Driscoll) to the school.

Black competed on the travel team circuit with the Windy City Spartans. Orlandus Thomas of the Windy City Spartans confirmed Black's commitment to Albany.

Latest from Hoopmasters.....

Will Brown and his Albany staff have received a commitment from former North Florida commit Mike Black...

"As of last Thursday, Mike Black was released from his LOI from the University of North Florida," Orlandus Thomas, Black's summer coach told Hoopmasters. "Due to the coaching changes."

"A number of schools contacted me. However, it was Chad O'Donnell, assistant coach from University of Albany, who jumped on the opportunity for Mike's services," Thomas continued. "After an official visit this past Sunday, Mike verballed this morning to Coach Will Brown and the University of Albany Great Danes."

“Albany is a great situation for Mike, both academically and athletically. He will be able to be an impact player immediately and lead a team that has established themselves at the top of the American East conference. A lot of credit goes to the work done by Chad O'Donnell, and the staff at Albany. They were adamant about pursuing Mike after his release, and made him feel (during the visit) that he would be an integral part of the team for not only next year, but for his collegiate career. Mike has proven throughout the season that he belongs at this level, and he will have the opportunity to lead a great team on the national stage.”

University of Albany will be playing nonconference games vs. both Syracuse and University of North Carolina Chapel Hill next season.

GULP...did they intend to let that one out of the bag?

NICE!

University of Albany will be playing nonconference games vs. both Syracuse and University of North Carolina Chapel Hill next season.

NICE!

Thank god, I (& anyone else who already knew) don't have to hold that info in anymore!!! Glad it is public :D

Edited by MsGDG

Will Brown and his Albany staff have received a commitment from former North Florida commit Mike Black...

"As of last Thursday, Mike Black was released from his LOI from the University of North Florida," Orlandus Thomas, Black's summer coach told Hoopmasters. "Due to the coaching changes."

"A number of schools contacted me. However, it was Chad O'Donnell, assistant coach from University of Albany, who jumped on the opportunity for Mike's services," Thomas continued. "After an official visit this past Sunday, Mike verballed this morning to Coach Will Brown and the University of Albany Great Danes."

“Albany is a great situation for Mike, both academically and athletically. He will be able to be an impact player immediately and lead a team that has established themselves at the top of the American East conference. A lot of credit goes to the work done by Chad O'Donnell, and the staff at Albany. They were adamant about pursuing Mike after his release, and made him feel (during the visit) that he would be an integral part of the team for not only next year, but for his collegiate career. Mike has proven throughout the season that he belongs at this level, and he will have the opportunity to lead a great team on the national stage.”

NICE!

Great to hear the Orange and tarheels are coming to SEFCU Arena next season!

Edited by purplehaze

I highly doubt they will be playing those teams at the SEFCU lol. UNC hasn't been to an Arena this small in probably 50 years. Those are probably roadies like the Kansas game this past year.

This guy seems like a good pickup. The one thing about Raffa that I hated was his propensity to turn the ball over around the basket. He'd go for a layup and wimp out on contact and end up losing the ball. That ticked me off. From what you all have posted, looks like this kid is as good around the basket as he is outside. Also, he can pass. I think we got something good here. Judging from the info on him, doesn't he sound a little like Jamar? :) I hope so.

I highly doubt they will be playing those teams at the SEFCU lol. UNC hasn't been to an Arena this small in probably 50 years. Those are probably roadies like the Kansas game this past year.

This guy seems like a good pickup. The one thing about Raffa that I hated was his propensity to turn the ball over around the basket. He'd go for a layup and wimp out on contact and end up losing the ball. That ticked me off. From what you all have posted, looks like this kid is as good around the basket as he is outside. Also, he can pass. I think we got something good here. Judging from the info on him, doesn't he sound a little like Jamar? :) I hope so.

I thought it was pretty clear that he was being facetious!

Guess not. I'm a young chap on this forum. Haven't learned the ropes of who's who regarding personalities, etc.

Guess not. I'm a young chap on this forum. Haven't learned the ropes of who's who regarding personalities, etc.

No worries!

BTW - hillarious comment posting on the TU blog

Hey Mark:

You might want to check Rivals for a UA basketball update…

Comment by Mike Black — March 31st, 2009 @ 6:07 pm

Thanks, “Mike.” Much obliged.

Comment by Mark Singelais, Staff writer — March 31st, 2009 @ 6:20 pm

No problem.

Now please call me for an interview and tell the Capital Region about my game…

Comment by Mike Black — March 31st, 2009 @ 6:34 pm

That's one way of getting Singleas' attention. :D

I love it!! LOL, I like him already! :)