UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Men's Basketball PG Commitment- Mike Black

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notable alumni of Fenwick

[ Public service & politics

Joseph Kerwin, America's first physician astronautDaniel Cronin (class of 1977) is an Illinois State Senator representing Illinois' 21st Legislative District (1993–present).[29]

Michael D. Healy (class of 1945) was a Major General in the U.S. Army and highest ranking member of the Green Berets. He served in both the Korean War and Vietnam War.[30]

Joseph Kerwin (class of 1949) was a NASA astronaut who flew on the Skylab 2 mission, becoming the first American medical doctor in space. He was also a CAPCOM for the Apollo 13 mission.[31][32]

Pat Quinn (class of 1967) was Illinois State Treasurer (1991–95), Illinois Lt. Governor (2001–2009) and Illinois Governor (2009–present).[33]

Timothy J. Rooney (class of 1975) is a prominent defense attorney in Chicago, whose clients have included Dan Rostenkowski and former governor George Ryan.[34][35]

Otto J. Rutt (class of 1979) is a colonel in the U.S. Marine Corps and senior member of the Defense Human Capital Strategy Program Executive Office.[36]

Jim Durkin has been a Republican member of the Illinois House of Representatives since 1995.

[edit] Athletics and gaming

Ben Ponzio at the 2007 WSOP (photo from LasVegasVegas.com)Bates Battaglia (class of 1993) is an NHL forward (1997–04, 05–present). He played for the Carolina Hurricanes during the 2002 Stanley Cup Finals.[47][48]

Johnny Lattner (class of 1950) was a professional football player for the Pittsburgh Steelers. He won the 1953 Heisman trophy playing for the University of Notre Dame, and is the only two–time winner of the Maxwell Award (1952 & 53). He was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 1979.[37][49][50][51]

Corey Maggette (class of 1998) is an NBA forward (1999–present), and first–round draft pick in the 1999 NBA Draft. He has spent most of his career with the Los Angeles Clippers.[37][52][53] He currently plays basketball with the Golden State Warriors.[54]

Ben Ponzio (class of 1993) was a 2007 World Series of Poker Bracelet Winner in the $2,000 No Limit Texas Hold' em event.[55][56]

Mike Rabold (class of 1955) was an NFL offensive lineman (1959–62, 64–67), mostly with the Chicago Bears.[37][57]

Dave Schrage (class of 1979) has been a collegiate head baseball coach at Northern Iowa University (1991–99), Northern Illinois University (2000–02), University of Evansville (2003–06), and University of Notre Dame (06–present).[58][59]

Ken Sitzberger (class of 1963) was a diver who won the gold medal in the 3 meter springboard at the 1964 Summer Olympics. He was a three time U.S. Champion, and was a television color commentator for 16 years. He was inducted into the International Swimming Hall of Fame in 1994.[37][60][61]

Tim Stapleton (class of 2000) is an NHL center of the Toronto Maple Leafs[62]

Marques Sullivan (class of 1996) was an NFL offensive lineman for the Buffalo Bills New York Giants and New England Patriots(2001–05).[63]

[

Edited by purplehaze

He doesn't sound too much like a world beater or a program changer, but I guess you never know:

"He really can do it all. I think he projects as a very good low D1 prospect.”

With summer basketball now over for Black, he has been able to focus more on recruiting. North Florida has extended him his only division I scholarship offer, but he has heard from Eastern Kentucky, South Dakota State, IUPUI, and St. Francis (PA). Division II programs Lewis, Quincy, UIS and St. Joes have all offered. Fresh off of his visit to North Florida, Black narrowed his list of schools down to two lucky finalists: North Florida and Lewis.

So in the end I guess we got the best of North Florida (2008-2009: 8-22, 335 RPI, Divison I for 5? years) and a Division II school in Lewis.

Maybe I should take some time to digest this, but at face value it looks like a step down in replacement value.

Let's welcome Mike....on the surface this doesn't appear to be the most 'sexy' available player we could have gotten but there isn't much info out on him that I can find. Gotta believe the coaching staff knows what they are doing....let's extend a warm welcome to this young man. He is now a Great Dane!

I'd love to see his game and see what he can bring at the PG spot. I'm hoping he simply flew under the radar, kind of like Ronald More!

Edited by bosiydid

BTW - hillarious comment posting on the TU blog

Hey Mark:

You might want to check Rivals for a UA basketball update…

Comment by Mike Black — March 31st, 2009 @ 6:07 pm

Thanks, “Mike.” Much obliged.

Comment by Mark Singelais, Staff writer — March 31st, 2009 @ 6:20 pm

No problem.

Now please call me for an interview and tell the Capital Region about my game…

Comment by Mike Black — March 31st, 2009 @ 6:34 pm

That's one way of getting Singleas' attention. :D

Edited by danefan

Hey Mark:

No problem.

Yeh...I was just going to post the same thing....hahaha....Will Mark jump at the opportunity? He was running himself ragged interviewing Kyle's parents.

Edited by bosiydid

Hey Mark:

No problem.

Whoever would do such a thing?

http://illinoishsbasketball.com/index.php?...19&Itemid=1

6 Committed Sleepers to Watch

Seth Evans 6-0 G Seneca (Wisconsin Green-Bay)

Troy Snyder 6-7 F Bollingbrook (Wisconsin Green-Bay)

Matt Sullivan 6-4 wing Loyola (Brown)

Colin Nickerson 6-3 G Waukegan (Fairfield)

Zeke Upshaw 6-5 wing (Illinois State)

Mike Black 6-1 PG Fenwick (Albany)

I changed the school for Black

Edited by slickwilly