UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Men's Basketball PG Commitment- Mike Black

And if something happens to McRae (coach had said they are waiting to review his academic performance towards the end of the school year), his scholarship would be available.

I assume it would go to Puk for the upcoming year.

Edited by uofalbany

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the America Least is reporting that Wolff is going to North Florida.

Interesting. Looks like Black could have had his choice of AE coaches.

If true mark down North Florida on next year's schedule or at the very least the following year's.

Great to hear Wolff is getting a job, it would be tough sitting around with a $1,000,000.00+ of BU's money.

The Puk situation is unclear, I heard he was going to Prep (he needs to get physically stronger) and somehow he dicided he will attend UA and sit for the year. He is supposedly a bright kid which means if he stays the 4 years he's on scholarship he will walk out probably with his masters paid for.

Does anyone know what type of competition Mike played against in HS? Just trying to gauge who he went up against in compiling 15ppg 3apg averages - Bosi

Fenwick I believe is in the Chicago Catholic League which is very competitive.

Just found this article from 3/10/09

Fenwick replaces scorers with potential

Incoming sophomores went 21-5 this year

By MARTY FARMER

Contributing Reporter

Fenwick had all it could handle against Whitney Young during their Class 4A regional final clash on Friday night, but that's nothing new. The Friars haven't ducked anybody all season, thanks to their heavyweight schedule. Fenwick (17-10) stood toe to toe with the Dolphins, who ultimately prevailed 52-47 in the Farragut Regional.

With Gov. Pat Quinn (1967 Fenwick alum and brother of coach John Quinn) in attendance, the inspired Friars took an early 7-0 lead, but Marcus Jordan's key three-pointer and layup just before halftime propelled Young to a 28-21 lead. Fenwick opened the third quarter with a 13-5 spurt to regain momentum and a 34-33 advantage. Tied at 43-43 with less than two minutes remaining in the game, Chris Colvin drained a clutch jumper to give Young (21-9) the lead for good.

"We jumped them early, and then Young turned up their pressure which we expected," John Quinn said. "The fourth quarter was a chess match."

Mike Black paced Fenwick with 19 points, while Xavier Humphrey added 11 and Evan Okrzesik had 10. With star guard Ahmad Starks out (fractured wrist), Jordan and Anthony Johnson each scored 14 for Young.

In the regional semifinals, the Friars pulled out an amazing 63-60 double-overtime win over host Farragut. Humphrey scored on an acrobatic layup with 49 seconds left in the second overtime to put Fenwick up 61-60. Okrzesik (16 points) made 2-of-4 free throws to seal the win.

"The [Farragut] game was an incredible win and a tribute to our senior kids," Quinn said. "They did not want to be 'one and done' in the playoffs."

During the regular season, Fenwick garnered several impressive wins, notably over St. Patrick (twice), Foreman, Mount Carmel and Hales. The Friars also captured the St. Patrick Thanksgiving Tournament championship, posted a perfect record (7-0) at home, and finished among the top six teams at the Proviso West Holiday Tournament.

Fenwick did fall short in its bid to repeat as Catholic League North champs, posting a 4-3 mark in conference to finish fourth.

"What hurt us was playing three heavyweights [Leo, St. Ignatius, and Loyola] all on the road and losing those games," noted Quinn.

Team captains Humphrey, Black and Okrzesik capped off their Fenwick careers in fine fashion.

Humphrey (16.2 points per game, 7 rebounds, 1,344 career points) and Black (15.2 points per game, 4 rebounds, 2.4 assists) were both All-Catholic League first-team selections, while Okrzesik (9 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists) earned second-team all-conference recognition and led the Catholic League in assists. Fellow senior Jose Gamboa served as a valuable swingman with a penchant for hitting big shots.

Next season, 6-foot-7 center Dave Suwada, a player capable of averaging a "double-double" according to Quinn, returns along with Jack Dittmer, Patrick McGrail and Xavier Vergara. Tim Gancer, Tyler Sewall, and John Malone, players from the Friars' sophomore squad which went 21-5 this season, will add depth.

"We're losing like 75 percent of our scoring to graduation," Quinn said. "We have a lot of work to do this summer, but next year's team has the potential to be good."

Edited by Patch

hagg....something about hook line and sinker comes to mind!

Back to back years, too.

I have to concentrate on either work or mid-major basketball. I MIGHT choose work for the remainder of the afternoon.

hagg....something about hook line and sinker comes to mind!

Back to back years, too.

I have to concentrate on either work or mid-major basketball. I MIGHT choose work for the remainder of the afternoon.

Yeh...wasn't it CB to Toledo that you bit real hard on last year?

Yeh...wasn't it CB to Toledo that you bit real hard on last year?

Correctamundo.

In my defense it is hard to hide all these non-work sites from "The Man" and still know what's going on.

I think I am going to go back thorugh all my posts from 8AM to 4PM and see what kind of sense I make.

Thanks a lot, Leaster...

From the article above...Xavier Humphrey committed to Memphis but might follow Calipari to Kentucky. I believe that's the name I saw in the ESPN vid at work. So that just shows you what kind of team/what kind of players the team Black was on is producing.

EDIT: Never mind..that was Xavier Henry lol.

Edited by Ilko

From the article above...Xavier Humphrey committed to Memphis but might follow Calipari to Kentucky. I believe that's the name I saw in the ESPN vid at work. So that just shows you what kind of team/what kind of players the team Black was on is producing.

Not the same Xavier...that Xavier is Xavier Henry!

You see, multi-tasking is a p.i.t.a.

You see, multi-tasking is a p.i.t.a.

lol.

Yeah I edited my last post haha.

A tidbit on Mike Black

10/16/08 from Illinoishsbasketball.com

2009 guard Mike Black- Fenwick

o North Florida landed a bona fide point guard in Black. His jet quickness combined with his ability to penetrate the lane makes him a quality point guard. His advanced court vision will help him lead an under the radar Fenwick team this season.