UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Time for Plan B (stadium)

danefan

And let's not forget...I do believe (based on flow down requirements), SEQR has to be conformed to (another part of DEIS). This thing is FAR from complete...and a public push should be made.

I agree, D96!

I just don't understand what more those involved can do. Go "public"? "Market" better? Be more "aggressive"? What do these things mean? Perhaps Danefan's post earlier in this thread pointed to some things that could be done, but I feel I/we have been updated and that the plan (public or private) is rather contingent on funding, is it not? What do we "market"? Our need for money to build a stadium? The uses of the stadium for the community? I thought we have pushed those ideas on local officials (perhaps not publicly enough?). There has been movement IMHO, but "movement" on this project is, of course, a function of funding. So, I remain hesitant to criticize, but I am very much open to being persuaded by others posting in this thread. I also may not have as deep a knowledge of this issue or these sorts of projects, so I apologize if I'm missing something (I probably am).

"No marketing that I have seen.

No public plan.

No clear updates.

No movement in what now seems like 3 years." (quote from Danefan above)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The easiest way to get this going is to condemn University Field. Though the TU would use that against us and bury it to page C5, the video footage on 6/10/13/23/CN9 would get people talking and make the construction of a replacement, ANY replacement, that much more urgent.

How do we get Albany County or the City of Albany to start the process?

Now, if we find out who this generous individual is, we may be able to convince them that we are a prime candidate for assistance...... and convince them that athletic facilities are a worthwhile cause as well.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090416/ap_on_...s/mystery_gifts

CLOSE THE DEAL NOW, WHILE COACH FORD IS STILL IN THE BUILDING.

Whether it is putting a stadium on the current soccer field area, or building the stadium around the current university field... I think both options deserve the financial support of the city of albany. I've said this before, the city of albany needs to support the university that boosts its economy with a 2 billion dollar, annual impact. It's amazing to me that the city has done nothing in terms of funding.

And if the city has secretively said they would throw in some cash when the time comes, it's a big mistake not to publically step up and BACK the university's stadium goal. I don't believe they've verbally committed any funding at all though.

Sure, if you only consider today's condition of Albany's financial situtation....

It would have been in the city's best interest to stand up, and publically commit

to the UAlbany stadium sometime over the past 7 years, when everything was

hunkydory in NY's state capital.

What year exactly was the proposal of a multi purpose stadium first mentioned?

Sure, if you only consider today's condition of Albany's financial situtation....

It would have been in the city's best interest to stand up, and publically commit

to the UAlbany stadium sometime over the past 4 years, when everything was

hunkydory in NY's state capital.

What year exactly was the proposal of a multi purpose stadium first mentioned?

2001-2002 was when I first heard about it. I read an old article the other day that quoted McElroy as saying the stadium would be built by the 2007 season. So a long time ago.

Sure the city could have given land (which isn't necessary), encouragement and lobbying, but unless Jennings wanted to attach the stadium to his dream of a convention center, I can't remember a time when Albany (City or County) was flush with cash to help with 'funding'.

Especially since most of the campus locations for the stadium are in the town of Guilderland, not the city.

Hindsight is always 20/20...

It really looks like there were some real squandered opportunities. The time to have gotten this done was when we had the Senate Majority Leader from the Capitol District. Despite your view of him, he was in a position to get things done and I remember a quote from him that went something like "I didn't even know they wanted a stadium".

Nothing we can do about it now except learn for future projects. I say ask for athletic budget items in GOOD financial years when there isn't anyone to complain about it. Ask for academic budget items in BAD economic years where we can claim its a necessity. SUNY is pretty backward but they'll still fund academic buildings and materials in bad years. Our timing always stinks.

All I know is what I see. Whether it's West Georgia or UNCC. Stadiums and other athletic budget items seem to be done with public support. An appeal for contributions, etc. There are only a handful of examples I can think of when it's just decided in secret by a few power brokers (I think SBU's stadium may have been one such example).

• 1 month later...

Archived