UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

volleyball transfer to Dayton - Cowdrey

The post does not say anything about Amanda sitting out a year. Are the transfer rules different for volleyball??

and

Does anyone know if the interim title has been replaced to Coach Engstrom? It is about time to remove the interim moniker.

I was wondering the same thing. I saw a clip on local news recently showing Tee Ladoucer playing lacrosse at Syracuse. She played at UAlbany last year. Its hard to see how she would get a waiver to go to Syracuse as she lives in one of the Albany suburbs.

I was wondering the same thing. I saw a clip on local news recently showing Tee Ladoucer playing lacrosse at Syracuse. She played at UAlbany last year. Its hard to see how she would get a waiver to go to Syracuse as she lives in one of the Albany suburbs.

VB and most other transfers do not have to sit out one year, as long as they meet 4 criteria, which they normally do. This is from the NCAA rule book on transfers:

"The most common transfer exception is the One-Time Transfer Exception. To be eligible to use this exception: (a) a student-athlete must be transferring to another four-year institution to participate in sports other than Division I basketball, Division I men's ice hockey and Division I football (unless the student-athlete is transferring from Division I-A to Division I-AA); (B) the student-athlete's first transfer from one four-year college to another four-year college; © the student-athlete must have been eligible academically had he or she remained at their previous institution; and (d) the student-athlete must obtain a written release from the current institution stating that they have no objection to the student-athlete's use of the exception."

I believe the AEC has its own rule that transfers WITHIN the conference have to sit a year, unless a member drops the sport.

I would imagine that Amanda meets all 4 criteria, assuming UA gave the waiver.

The "interim" issue is unsettling, and cannot be good for team morale. Why has there been no word this long after the season? The new one begins in just over 3 1/2 months.

VB and most other transfers do not have to sit out one year, as long as they meet 4 criteria, which they normally do. This is from the NCAA rule book on transfers:

"The most common transfer exception is the One-Time Transfer Exception. To be eligible to use this exception: (a) a student-athlete must be transferring to another four-year institution to participate in sports other than Division I basketball, Division I men's ice hockey and Division I football (unless the student-athlete is transferring from Division I-A to Division I-AA); ( B) the student-athlete's first transfer from one four-year college to another four-year college; © the student-athlete must have been eligible academically had he or she remained at their previous institution; and (d) the student-athlete must obtain a written release from the current institution stating that they have no objection to the student-athlete's use of the exception."

I believe the AEC has its own rule that transfers WITHIN the conference have to sit a year, unless a member drops the sport.

I would imagine that Amanda meets all 4 criteria, assuming UA gave the waiver.

The "interim" issue is unsettling, and cannot be good for team morale. Why has there been no word this long after the season? The new one begins in just over 3 1/2 months.

We like the interim label at this university. :angry2:

The site listing MJ as head coach is from 2008; and if you click on her "bio" it is from 2007. The 12/16/2008 posting about 2 recruits signed still list her as "interim". I am afraid the issue is still not resolved; and if she was named permanent head coach, a press release at least should have been issued. I have never seen one?

What's everyone's opinion on the transfer rule, applying only to football and basketball?

It's certainly a great setup for Dayton, considering she'll be able to play immediately.

Under the circumstances with Amanda, ( and the lacrosse player that transfered to Syracuse last year )

I'm starting to think that the rule should apply to all NCAA D1 Sports.

Horribly unfair for certain programs.

What's everyone's opinion on the transfer rule, applying only to football and basketball?

It's certainly a great setup for Dayton, considering she'll be able to play immediately.

Under the circumstances with Amanda, ( and the lacrosse player that transfered to Syracuse last year )

I'm starting to think that the rule should apply to all NCAA D1 Sports.

Horribly unfair for certain programs.

Its implemented for football and basketball to avoid the pro-sports like free agency. Which makes sense as football and basketball are the highest profile sports. That is also why there is an exception if you transfer down from FBS to FCS for football. Its very unlikely any FCS schools are actively poaching kids from FBS schools.

With the non-revenue sports like volleyball it makes sense to allow a kid to transfer without penalty. In all liklihood, Amanda came to UA because of the relationship she created with Sheffield. When Sheffield moved to Dayton she gave it a shot without him and found that she really like playing for Sheffield. I don't think she should be punished for that. Sure, it sucks for Albany, but should the student be punished for that? I don't think so.

If life is all based on money, then I guess it's fine.

I guess committment means nothing in the 21st century.

Professional sports is a good example. A contract means NADA, and committment means even less.

In Amanda's case, I guess I could see her reasoning but....

I'd prefer seeing a student athlete honor a committment to the university that

gave them their initial opportunity. Or, I'd like to see the NCAA MAKE student athletes honor their

committment, if they themselves can't muster up the courage to do so.

They all know going in that a coach could be gone

at any time.

If life is all based on money, then I guess it's fine.

I guess committment means nothing in the 21st century.

Professional sports is a good example. A contract means NADA, and committment means even less.

In Amanda's case, I guess I could see her reasoning but....

I'd prefer seeing a student athlete honor a committment to the university that

gave them their initial opportunity. Or, I'd like to see the NCAA MAKE student athletes honor their

committment, if they themselves can't muster up the courage to do so.

They all know going in that a coach could be gone

at any time.

Yeah, but you are almost describing indentured servitude. She honored her committment to the University. She played while she was on scholarship. She decided to transfer. Kids transfer all the time for reasons other than athletics.

You are right - they all know their coach can be gone at any time. They also know that if that coach leaves they are free to leave as well.

Archived