UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Official announcement

statefan

SUNY Board Names George M. Philip 18th President of the University at Albany

For Immediate Release: Tuesday, June 16, 2009

New York City – The State University of New York Board of Trustees today voted to name George M. Philip the 18th president of the University at Albany, effective immediately. Philip, an alumnus, has served as interim president since November 2007.

“George Philip is the right person to lead the University at Albany into the future,” said SUNY Board Chair Carl T. Hayden. "George’s proven record of success at the campus, his strong ties to the academic and business communities, and his commitment to work with the students, faculty and staff in enhancing academic excellence will ensure the University at Albany continues its ascent to the top tier of the nation’s public research universities. Congratulations go to George and the entire campus.”

“All of us involved with the search for a permanent president knew George Philip would be the right leader at the right time for the University at Albany,” said SUNY Chancellor Nancy L. Zimpher. “It took some doing to persuade George we were right, but it was well worth the effort and in the best interest of the students, faculty, staff, alumni and the greater SUNY and Albany communities.”

“I want to thank the SUNY Board of Trustees for their support and the confidence they have placed in me,” said President Philip. “I was honored when Chancellor Zimpher asked me to continue my service to UAlbany and serve as its 18th president. I look forward to advancing the University’s academic and research mission and to working with the Chancellor to develop a SUNY-wide strategic plan. As an alumnus, I have seen the University at Albany grow into a world-class research institution. I welcome the opportunity for continued collaboration with the University’s many talented faculty, staff and students. Together we will take UAlbany to new heights.”

"Through his many years of service, George Philip has been a tireless advocate for the University," said Daniel Tomson, chair of the University at Albany Council and the Presidential Search Committee. "His management and financial experience, profound commitment to our students, and ability to foster public and private partnerships will continue to advance the University’s academic and research enterprise."

"George Philip has been an unwavering champion of the University at Albany," said George R. Hearst III, president of the University at Albany Foundation. "Given today's unprecedented challenges, George is the ideal person to advance the University's reputation as a premier research institution."

Alain E. Kaloyeros, Ph.D., Senior Vice President and Chief Executive Officer of the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering, said, “As a longtime and effective champion of the University, George Philip has demonstrated outstanding leadership, proven experience, staunch advocacy, and intimate knowledge of UAlbany, its various stakeholders and constituents. At this time of deep challenges and great opportunities, George is the right person to advance the educational, research, and economic innovation agendas of UAlbany, the NanoCollege, and SUNY, and I look forward to working in partnership with him to best serve New York State and its citizens.”

"It's been a pleasure and privilege working beside George," said Distinguished Teaching Professor John W. Delano, who chairs the University Senate. "With great dedication and candor, he has built a relationship of mutual respect between the administration and faculty."

"Whether it's move-in day, commencement or any number of athletic events, President Philip has fervently demonstrated his enthusiasm and pride in UAlbany and its students," said Brian Tregerman, undergraduate representative on the University Council and former president of the UAlbany Student Association. "I am confident that President Philip will continue to lead this institution in a direction of academic and research excellence and be a strong advocate for students and public higher education."

Philip's appointment is the result of a unanimous recommendation by the University Council and the presidential search committee.

George M. Philip

During his tenure as interim president, the University at Albany generated a record $392 million in research funding. For the first time in University history, undergraduate and graduate enrollment exceeded 18,000 students. UAlbany had one of its most successful capital advocacy efforts ever, resulting in state and private support for a new School of Business building, Campus Center expansion and vital critical maintenance.

Philip is leading the University through its 10-year accreditation process with the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). He continues to steer the campus through one of the most challenging budget environments the University has experienced. Recognized for his strong advocacy for the UAlbany community, Philip is admired and respected by students, faculty, staff and alumni.

Prior to his appointment as interim president, Philip served as the executive director and chief investment officer of the New York State Teachers’ Retirement System (NYSTRS), one of the 10 largest public retirement funds in the nation.

Philip is a graduate of UAlbany where he earned his undergraduate ('69) and master's ('73) degrees. He holds a Juris Doctorate from Western New England Law School in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Philip has been active in UAlbany governance, serving as chair of the University Council from 1996 to 2007, and as a member of the board of directors of the Research Foundation.

About the University at Albany

Educationally and culturally, the University at Albany-SUNY puts "The World Within Reach" for its 18,000 students. An internationally recognized research university with 56 undergraduate majors and 128 graduate degree programs, UAlbany is a leader among all New York State colleges and universities in such diverse fields as public policy, nanotechnology and criminal justice. With a curriculum enhanced by 300 study-abroad opportunities, UAlbany launches great careers. For more information about this globally ranked University, visit www.albany.edu. For UAlbany's extensive roster of faculty experts, visit www.albany.edu/news/experts.htm.

About the State University of New York

The State University of New York is the largest comprehensive university system in the United States, educating nearly 440,000 students in 7,669 degree and certificate programs on 64 campuses. To learn more about how SUNY creates opportunity, visit www.suny.edu

-30-

Philip’s compensation remains unchanged as a result of his permanent appointment and he receives a state salary of $280,000. He resides in the University president’s house, and has the use of a state automobile.

I don't know much about this guy. Is he for UA Football (stadium) or against it????

He has said on the record the stadium is the #1 non-academic priority. Whatever that really means.

It's been the #1 non-academic priority for at least a year or two, I thought. I believe it was #4 overall on our list of capital projects submitted to the legislature last year (we got funding for the top 3).

Yes we did the second president of the University Edward P. Waterbury was a graduate of the normal school in 1849.

Here is the link if anyone is interested

http://www.albany.edu/alumni/mission_and_history.php

Also wikipedia has a list of past presidents and principals

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_at..._and_Principals

Archived