UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany Student Press: Point guard faces charges

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...?storyID=819701

http://blog.timesunion.com/asp/473/danes-j...sisting-arrest/

:(

I'm sure Bingo fans with have fun with this one.

Update on more info:

Micheal Johnson

Law: PL Section:205.30. RESISTING ARREST

Carl Ross

Law: PL Section 270.00.02B UNLAW POSS/USE FIREWORKS

Arresting Officer: http://police.albany.edu/Member2.asp?LName...ame=Christopher

Criminal Incidents:

Incident Type: Criminal mischief - STATUS: CLOSED

Date ~ Time: 7/4/2009 ~ 2101

Incident No.: 15151-09

Nature of Complaint: Report of males setting off fireworks in basketball court area. Male student arrested for illegal possession of fireworks and other charges. Non-student unauthorized male guest of defendant also arrested and issued PNG notice.

New York State DCJS Status: Suspect Arested

University at Albany Status: Suspect Arrested

http://police.albany.edu/CandISearch.asp

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should we air our own dirty laundry on the AE board before someone else does?

Just did....to be fair, we deserve any crap we get..... there is no excuse for this, no sense in trying to spin it or hide it....an arrest is an arrest.

Should be interesting to see what exactly are the particulars here.....

Just did....to be fair, we deserve any crap we get..... there is no excuse for this, no sense in trying to spin it or hide it....an arrest is an arrest.

who said anything about spinning it? why so negative? I was just referring to posting it first that is all.

who said anything about spinning it? why so negative? I was just referring to posting it first that is all.

Didn't mean to imply that you had any interest in spinning it, just rather making a general statement. Sorry if it came across the wrong way. I agree with you about airing our dirty laundry.

Over fireworks....hopefully he was at the wrong place/wrong time.

The more I think about this the more ridicules this whole thing is....who would have thunk it, 20 some year old's setting off fireworks on the 4th of July....to bad it got to the point where the cuffs came out but come on. Not to make excuses for Mike but I'm interested to see how this whole thing plays out...it's not like he was caught dealing weed or something.

Just something to think about: 2nd degree harassment is a violation, the equivalent of a traffic ticket. The resisting arrest is a Class A misdemeanor, which is a crime and is potentially punishable by jail time.

Looking at the UPD search, it appears that someone was having a BBQ on Empire Commons and at 6pm someone reported fireworks being set off. UPD responded and found no fireworks, but did find open containers.

Incident Type: Suspicious Person/Vehicle

Date ~ Time: 7/4/2009 ~ 1803

Incident No.: 15143-09

Nature of Complaint: Report of students setting off fireworks. Persons at scene stated they did not know of an;y fireworks. Open alcohol containers at site. Warned that continued use of alcohol and fireworks would result in shuting the barbeque and party down.

Then at 9:03pm there was a fire in a dumpster, which the Albany FD determined to have been caused by a firework.

Incident Type: Fire

Date ~ Time: 7/4/2009 ~ 2103

Incident No.: 15152-09

Nature of Complaint: Report of fire in dumpster. Albany FD determined it was started by an incendiary device. See Criminal Report #15151-09.

At that point is when the arrest occurs. I don't want to speculate on what happened from there

Fireworks on Fourth of July with some beer? Sounds like a good time to me. I hope they at least had some Roman Candles or M80s or something fun if they are going to get arrested over a 4th of July incident like this.

On the "moral culpability" scale, I put this far below stealing from walmart or getting caught with narcotics or something to that effect. Like I said, sounds like a good time to me. Of course, I understand the danger behind certain fireworks, and we certainly don't want our potential starting PG blowing off a finger or even getting a severe burn on one's hand or finger heading into the season, but I hope that the powers that be keep this in perspective. They weren't even out drinking and driving, etc. They were "home" and (relatively) safe and sound on the 4th of July.

Perhaps we could get some indoor fireworks for SEFCU and the home opener? :lol::D

"Free Carl Ross."

If MJ comes back to play for us this year I'm sure I'll be reminded of this incident everytime Wyland says something like "Johnson is really giving them a spark tonight," or "Mike is really playing with some fire here."

Coaches are supposed to be stressed during games, not between seasons. I wonder how this will play out and how Coach Brown will handle it. As UAMA points out it's not the worst thing but it ain't the best either. It's embarassing for the school and program. After condemning Broadhus with the Malik Alvin thing last year I don't know how I'd handle this. We'll probably get more details (oh, goodie) as this goes on.

Ironically (as I post this on an internet message board) this is probably something that we would have never heard about pre-internet.

*sigh* I was certainly disappointed to see this article as I arrived home from work. However, as many of you have said, this certainly could have been much worse. This has nothing to do with drugs, women, or assault. It was college kids being college kids, although as a senior I wish Mike would have maybe not put himself in this situation. The biggest thing which I find interesting is the fact that there were apparently two calls made to police? If the police came once and said there would issues if they had to come back again, it is beyond me why they would have gone through with fireworks after already having issues once that night. That's what concerns me the most I suppose. Anyway, it should be interesting to see how CB reacts to this and if any more info is made public (Whether it be related to the incident or any other discipline which may be imposed). My best wishes go out to both Mike and the program and I hope that all this gets resolved.

Archived