UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stadium and 2010 OCC schedule

I am spaced right now-- 2012? What's up with that date in particular.

It's when Georgia State joins the CAA football line-up and they go back to 12 teams and a divisional set-up. It's also the date that I believe MANY changes will take place (doesn't Albany's agreement with the NEC and Stony Brook's agreement with the Big South expires after 2011?)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a certain waiting period to join a new conference?

For instance, if everyone were interested, would it be possible for Albany to join the CAA as early as 2010 or 2011?

No waiting period that I know of. We are contractually obligated to the NEC through the 2010 season, but after that we would be free to go anywhere else that would have us.

The unique situation with the CAA is that fact that both of those northern teams have left, without notice. There's no better time to get those slots filled than ASAP... if that's the route they choose to take. And in my opinion, it's the smartest path to take.

One season of transition for the CAA north, this coming year (2010), and then bring in Albany and Fordham/Stony Brook starting in 2011. It gives everyone enough time to appropriately adjust schedules, etc....

So one thing that after reading this report got me thinking was how big of a stadium could they possibly build given the location that was chosen and the proximity to the Lax stadium?

It turns out there is a lot more room than we might think. Using SBU's Lavalle stadium as a comparison I did an overlay over the soccer field. I used SBU because it was easy to cut out and because it has a two-tiered endzone section, which most stadium of the size do not. I was curious to see how much that end zone section "bled" into the Lax field, if at all. This should be pretty close to size based on an overlay of University Field and the Lax field.

b_144450.jpg

There is actually a decent amount of space between the soccer field and the lax field. Especially considering that the stadium and football field can nudged south towards Western ave without a whole lot of disruption. The one grass practice field may lose some room, but adding a fieldturf football field also means you are adding a 100 yard practice field.

I like it, although I wish there was more room in the RACC parking lot or to extend the RACC parking lot.

I will for sure be buying a preferred parking pass to that lot.

I hope that's where it is. The first post said " It is being built at the practice field location " so I was guessing it would be south of the soccer field, which is why I thought it would be a tight fit inside Perimeter Road. Your location is on top of the current soccer field.

I hope that's where it is. The first post said " It is being built at the practice field location " so I was guessing it would be south of the soccer field, which is why I thought it would be a tight fit inside Perimeter Road. Your location is on top of the current soccer field.

Page 11 of this http://www.albany.ed...GEISfigures.pdf indicates the chosen location.

its actually closer to the RACC then my original picture. Here is what it would look like if its placed where the above PDF indicates:

b_155119.jpg

The unique situation with the CAA is that fact that both of those northern teams have left, without notice. There's no better time to get those slots filled than ASAP... if that's the route they choose to take. And in my opinion, it's the smartest path to take.

One season of transition for the CAA north, this coming year (2010), and then bring in Albany and Fordham/Stony Brook starting in 2011. It gives everyone enough time to appropriately adjust schedules, etc....

Don't forget that Charlotte is now a major player for a spot in CAA Football (2013 at the earliest). They will are publicly stating their interest and contacting the CAA......with what has happened recently, and what might happen in the near future.......they are a shoe-in IMO. The big issue would be for URI to hang around long enough to force them to add a 14th member, but I'm not sure that is gonna happen. If Charlotte was added in lieu of URI.......I don't think that Maine, UNH, and UMass (and possibly Villanova) would stick around for too long.

So I just got my "donate" letter from the Athletics Dept. What I noticed was two things: inclusion for the General School fund; and "multi purpose stadium." First, i dont remember the "multi-purpose stadium" being a specific option in the past...so i tend to think this is really serious at this point. Second, I am sure that this is a stock letter so even NON athletic fans are getting this.

I was bored on a conference call this morning and found this site: http://www.optexstaging.com/Bleachers.8.0.html

Temporary Bleachers look amazing by this company. Too lazy to call for pricing, but sales of seats that are used parts were 34 bucks a pop. So, taking that number, we could put in 5,000 temporary seats and press box at probably 225k bucks. That would allow us to put in the turf immediately ($1mm or so), scoreboard (probably $1m with videoboard), 5,000 permanent seats ($2m or so), and temp lighting ($500k max) in year one. We could use the current infrastructure this year for offices and lockerrooms. That is about 4.7mm in year one.

Year 2, you can put in 5,000 more permanent seats ($2m or so), permanent lighting ($1mm), construct lockerooms and concessions (2-3mm). That is around 5mm (but I think lighting is in the general fund already...so maybe only 4mm).

Year 3, put in a permanent pressbox, coaches boxes and some VIP suites...probably the full chunk of $4mm.

Year 4, put in the final touches on brickwork (much like they did later on at Shuart Stadium), walkways, landscaping and finish the lax stadium at the same time) 4mm would probably be this cost.

Year 5, put in the sports performance center, meeting rooms, hall of fame, and offices for all sports and maybe update the old hall of fame room in the RACC to Concessions.-- $5-8 mm

We could expand out as needed after that...i would be fine with 5,000 more seats in Years 6 or 7.

You just built a nice athletics complex that ties Lax, Field Hockey and football together...and upgraded the RAAC. That would be 28-31 million over a long period of time...and that would likely include 3 FBS games at a tune of $350,000 per...so $1mm. That would endow 10-20 scholarships....or just could be used to put towards the price tag. Plus, income generated if we get Montana, Delaware, or some other big school to come in once or twice...probably another 200k in income.

The main question on what we get and when is the philosophy they take.

Do they want to have something smaller but "pretty" to start or do they want to have something that seats more but doesn't have that asthetic appeal from the beginning.

I vote for larger and less visually appealing to start, but who knows what direction they are taking.

What I do know is that construction costs haven't been this low in a long long time.

JMU just knocked $10 million off their costs of their stadium ($62 million down to $52 million). Its happening in the Northeast as well. My brother's high school may be getting field turf this year as they were able to reduce a roofing project from $5 million down to $2.5 million. All due to reduced costs of labor and materials.

Now is the time to build. That's for sure.

And it sucks to be me right now; I am on the phone negotiating a deal with a UTAH agency that is going from 9mm to 6mm...and they want to lock us in on construction and manufacturing escalation costs for the future on today's rates.

GRRRRR....

Archived