UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stadium and 2010 OCC schedule

From post #35 " None of the options below are fully funded or in the design phase" yet the plan is for construction to begin in Spring 2010.

I hope "Targeting maximum spectator seating capacity to approximately 10,000" refers only to the initial phases.

I'm hoping most this toned down presentation is to keep naysayers and sabotager wannabes at bay. If the wording and details were more direct and explicit and called for NEW, STATE OF THE ART, ALL PURPOSE STADIUM WITH SEATING POTENTIAL AT 30K ... then it would be demanding attention.

I"m also hoping the track is completed this spring or ASAP. I'd like to see our ranked track program perform at home.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read these things for a living...and today happens to be a slow day for me...so i read the entire proposal.

Couple of things standout, including the seating capacity as mentioned, however I dont want to say good or bad about the proposal because this is a public forum and I dont want to give some naysayers ammunition.

That said, dont worry fellas...there are good nuggets in their that would warm a lobbyists heart. This is one of the best reports I have ever read and a few fears of mine were taken away (lighting, hosting of lacrosse tourneys (indeed...included in the document), stadium size potential, etc). Also, there was a notation to shuttle fans from the Harriman lots...which is a good thing...for gameday. I have to believe the State is closer to realizing that even if they give UA a tax break (no taxes) with the land...they will mroe than make up revenue with the increased vistors, faculty and students.

Also, there was a note that Nano is expanding on 14.4 acres...also good for the school's profile.

One thing that is disturbing- soccer. Where do they go? I hope to g-d they just move them a field away and they dont put soccer lines on the football field.

From post #35 " None of the options below are fully funded or in the design phase" yet the plan is for construction to begin in Spring 2010.

I hope "Targeting maximum spectator seating capacity to approximately 10,000" refers only to the initial phases.

Not funded and not in a design phase yet? While I'm glad to see some apparent movement, 'not funded and not in design phase' doesn't exactly sound very encouraging.

Actually, its par for the course. Design phase actually doesnt start until the contract execution and goes through until contract end.

Believe me...they wouldnt put this type of report out unless somehow this is funded.

Thanks D, I don't work in this area nor do I deal with these kinds of documents....hopefully you are correct about the funding.

Man, we need this in the worst way with all of the changes/opportunities that might present themselves in the current upheaval in FCS football.

One thing that is disturbing- soccer. Where do they go? I hope to g-d they just move them a field away and they dont put soccer lines on the football field.

1. Maybe it stays where it is - per Google Earth, football looks like a very tight fit just south of the current soccer field, without much room for endzone seating, but it's possible.

2. The easiest move would be to put soccer on its first practice field to the east

3. If track improvements "will likely add an artificial turf field to the infield location" (p. 25) you could put soccer there with the track's 3,500 seats, soccer being in the opposite semester from track & field. However "the University is contemplating improvements to the track facilities within the next five years" (p. 24) so that may be off in the future..

Another interesting point - page 67 of http://www.albany.edu/facilities/dgeis/documents/DGEISappendices.pdf indicates that construction will be finished in fall 2011.

It indicates that construction vehicles will be on campus for Spring and Fall of 2010 and Spring and Fall of 2011.

12 construction vehicles and 30 personal vehicles related to construction.

I'm just happy to see this. It'll be nice to see more shovels in the ground, like it was when the other two fields were done. I'm sure an official announcement will be forthcoming pretty soon. :D

Schedule remaining for the Capital Plan Generic Environmental Impact Study:

7. Public Hearing Held 01/14/10

8. Public Comments Received Until 01/22/10

9. Preparation of Final GEIS Early to mid-February 2010

10. Prepare and Complete Findings Statement Mid-February 2010

Stanford took down an 80,000-seat stadium and built a 50,000-seat stadium on the same spot in 42 weeks (11/26/05 to 9/16/06) so I'd HOPE we get this done by next season.

12 construction vehicles and 30 personal vehicles could mean a good number of people working on this job.

There probably isn't a ton of excavation that needs to be done considering the location is already the site of an athletic field. If the first side built is the side nearest the RACC then that it may be built right into that hill.

Also, if the Giants are coming back you have to imagine they aren't going to allow major construction to occur during their camp. Is it possible that it could be done before Giants camp?

Does anyone know if the Giants are actually coming back? The Report indicates that the stadium will be used for Giant's camp, but that could just be speculation based on recent history.

Despite the overwhelming amount of unanswered questions and speculation, I cannot remember a time since the NEC announced scholarhsips that we had such a positive step for the football program.

A good day indeed.

Now if I could only focus on getting some work done....laugh.gif

Archived