UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Gov Patterson plans for SUNY overhaul

GreatDanes06

From Newsday.com:

Gov. David A. Paterson Friday backed a controversial plan to overhaul the funding for New York's public colleges and universities, allowing Stony Brook University and other leading state campuses to significantly raise tuition.

The measure would give greater freedom to the 64 campuses of the State University of New York to set their own budgets and determine tuition and fees. Major research campuses - including Stony Brook, Binghamton and Albany - have asked for the freedom to charge more than smaller schools in the system.

While tuitions at New York's public colleges are expected to rise 2 percent next year, some could jump significantly after that if the legislature approves the proposal. Administrators say the leading universities have discussed one-time hikes of about 5 percent.

That would place them closer to other large state universities in states such as Pennsylvania and Massachusetts.

Legislators from Long Island and many other areas with prominent SUNY campuses have long asked Albany to make the schools less dependent on state budgets that fluctuate every year. New York would be following North Carolina, Michigan and other states that are known for excellent flagship state universities that have great independence.

Stony Brook administrators endorsed the plan, saying it could generate tens of millions of dollars more in coming years to hire faculty and make up for $37 million in budget cuts over the past two years. Stony Brook would reduce tuition for poor and working-class families, the administrators said.

But independent groups cautioned highly competitive schools like Stony Brook would probably become significantly more costly than Old Westbury, ending a tradition of equality in the state university.

"We worry a lot about how differential tuition might price some students out of the more expensive SUNYs," said Fran Clark, who monitors education for the nonprofit New York Public Interest Research Group.

I would think this could play a major factor in athletic funding and possible stadium funding? yes or no?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so, based on what I have read, this plan would basically allow UAlbany and all SUNY universities to become somewhat privatized? They will get funding from NY and SUNY, but under this plan most of the funding will now be based on the efforts of the university? Am I clear on that?

I'm guessing this means less state funding, however, in the long run more revenue, especially for UAlbany and the other research institutions, since they can set up private contracts etc...? If funding is now more based on what the universities do, what will NY and SUNY fund for the universities?

I like the plan, I am trying to just make sure that I am getting the facts correct. From what i am thinking, this is going to drastically cut higher education spending in the state and close the budget gap.

From what is sounds, this will allow UAlbany to create its own identity. Basically, we can be the University at Albany instead of being SUNY Albany.

so, based on what I have read, this plan would basically allow UAlbany and all SUNY universities to become somewhat privatized? They will get funding from NY and SUNY, but under this plan most of the funding will now be based on the efforts of the university? Am I clear on that?

I'm guessing this means less state funding, however, in the long run more revenue, especially for UAlbany and the other research institutions, since they can set up private contracts etc...? If funding is now more based on what the universities do, what will NY and SUNY fund for the universities?

I like the plan, I am trying to just make sure that I am getting the facts correct. From what i am thinking, this is going to drastically cut higher education spending in the state and close the budget gap.

From what is sounds, this will allow UAlbany to create its own identity. Basically, we can be the University at Albany instead of being SUNY Albany.

I don't think its as drastic a change as that.

I think its probably somewhere in the middle. The way I understand it, the following major benefits will be bestowed upon the SUNY centers:

The SUNY centers will be able to modify tuition themselves and keep the revenue for themselves.

They will also be able to contract without the horrendous state bid process that other state agencies have to follow. Instead their actions will be under post-contract review.

They will be able to lease out land they own to private groups and keep the revenue.

They will be able to form public-private paternships on things (e.g. under the new rules, UA could have unilaterally started the Nano college and CESTM. Under the old rules we needed the approval of the legislature).

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I think those are the highlights.

But I agree 100000% that this bill should take a lot of pressure off the state coffers and put it onto the Universities themselves. Its a win-win and why it hasn't happened in the past is beyond me.

This plan has nothing to do with making SUNY "somewhat privatized".

The governor is only proposing to allow SUNY to do what every other state university does, which is have some control over their own university. SUNY is way too controlled and it shows. It's amazing to read what SUNY has to do that other state universities take for granted. Get this dysfunctional government off of SUNY's back. Raise tuition for the research universities so they can afford to do research. Let SUNY compete on a level playing field with UC and other great state systems.

Good job Governor Patterson. Maybe there is hope for New York after all?

Ironic thing is Paterson talked about how it it wasn't right that tuition increases were really only used to offset budget deficit/lack of funding yet that is exactly what he did this past year.

It's like judge me on what I say but not what I do. To be honest I haven't read the whole thing and don't have an opinion on it right now, just pointing out Paterson being Paterson.

Now you can feel what we UB Believers felt when our bill was out there; You feel like your university is at the cusp of something greater. For us, it stunk that UB's was bogged down last year but in hindsight it likely did not matter as each school had to deal with figuring out where to cut first and foremost (UB lost $100 Mil). You can't build much of anything when you have to decide what critical supplies you can and can't afford. If this is passed quickly we won't see fiscal pain quite like that again.

Now that UB and SBU aren't the (main) enemies, get to know who we've had to deal with. You will be seeing UAlbany's name on their press-releases soon, too: UUP

Interesting that Patterson is proposing these changes as a part of his budget. So essentially he's cutting funding but saying to the legislature that if they cut funding they need to also provide the flexibility for the universities to raise their own money.

Of note is that Patterson's plan is not limited to the 4 SUNY centers but applies to all SUNY colleges and universities.

Also of interest to you guy may be the UA funding request this year in the Governor's propsoed budget:

http://publications.budget.state.ny.us/eBudget1011/fy1011appropbills/ELFA.pdf

General Fund/State Operations:

UA - $72,742,300 ($4,127.46 per student)

Bing - $53,674,800 ($3,718.38 per student)

UB - $174,203,600 ($6,031.77 per student)

SBU - $169,963,500 ($6,883,34 per student)

Capital Projects Fund:

Albany - Campus wide projects, including Renovate University Library - $33,006,000

Capital Project Reappropriations:

Albany - Campus wide projects, including Renovate Health Center - $33,927,000

Archived