UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

OT: BYU Honor Code

As I'm sure anyone who follows college basketball knows, BYU threw forward Brandon Davies off the team for violating the honor code,having premarital sex. Just saw a listing of other items on the honor code, no coffee! Good Lord. How does a college campus run without coffee? Not to mention sex or alcohol.

As I'm sure anyone who follows college basketball knows, BYU threw forward Brandon Davies off the team for violating the honor code,having premarital sex. Just saw a listing of other items on the honor code, no coffee! Good Lord. How does a college campus run without coffee? Not to mention sex or alcohol.

I've read that should we get a Mormon president they may ban pre-marital sex not only for all NCAA sports, but for professional sports also.

I've read that should we get a Mormon president they may ban pre-marital sex not only for all NCAA sports, but for professional sports also.

I don't have a problem with any of this ONLY because all kids going in KNOW what the rules were/are and what is expected. It's not like they sprang it on him after the fact. While we can disagree with some of the rules like no coffee etc. if you chose to go there than you know what you are getting yourself into.

If one can't live without coffee or sex, try one of the other couple of thousand schools.

I don't have a problem with any of this ONLY because all kids going in KNOW what the rules were/are and what is expected. It's not like they sprang it on him after the fact. While we can disagree with some of the rules like no coffee etc. if you chose to go there than you know what you are getting yourself into.

If one can't live without coffee or sex, try one of the other couple of thousand schools.

Case settled. Perfectly concluded Clack.

As for BYU, hopefully Fredette & team can still go deep into the tournament. I'd like to see a Glens Falls

native have success.

Actually...I have a problem with this.

Apparently, if you believe some devout Mormon's who went to BYU (and I worked with one and had a conversation with him about this)...a regular student would not be tossed out of school, off a school sponsored group, etc...for one violation. According to this person, while Davies may have broken the rules--and remember, he still has not had his hearing so we don't know what happened (though I suspect he did break them)--he is being made an example of by the school.

According to this alum, the school would rather make themselves a martyr in this situation, and that making an example of Davies is better for the image of the school than a National title.

So...believe who you want...but I suspect the quick dismissal without a hearing is a bit abnormal.

Sounds like a b-ball fan that's pissed his chances of a natl championship just took a big hit.

Whether or not he's being made an example, he's representing the university and he's in the national spotlight. He broke the code, and he's paying the consequences. Supposedly, he admitted doing the wild chicken.

Some people & institutions care more about rules & codes of conduct than others. Apparently, BYU isn't like Binghamton U.

Apparently, if you believe some devout Mormon's who went to BYU (and I worked with one and had a conversation with him about this)...a regular student would not be tossed out of school, off a school sponsored group, etc...for one violation. According to this person, while Davies may have broken the rules--and remember, he still has not had his hearing so we don't know what happened (though I suspect he did break them)--he is being made an example of by the school.

According to this alum, the school would rather make themselves a martyr in this situation, and that making an example of Davies is better for the image of the school than a National title.

So...believe who you want...but I suspect the quick dismissal without a hearing is a bit abnormal.

Of course they will use him as an example to advance their cause/agenda (their prerogative). He isn't exactly a run of the mil student, like it or not.

Again, I have no problem with what they did.

Of course they will use him as an example to advance their cause/agenda (their prerogative). He isn't exactly a run of the mil student, like it or not.

So...you agree it is ok to treat one student different than others to advance a cause? Wow.

So...you agree it is ok to treat one student different than others to advance a cause? Wow.

It happens all the time, I'm not naive to think that it doesn't. Double standards is normal and accepted, you disagree?

No...I don't. I went through it at Albany with an RA...I battled...and I WON! To accept that as normal is giving in to those who choose to follow rules when it helps them.

Look...I am pretty sure that Davies would not have done what he had done had others been busted for it constantly. Yes, he signed an honor code...however it seems that code is only good when it benefits the administration. In this instance, and according to my buddy who happens to hate sports...so it isnt like he is pissy for BYU hurting their title chances, the code is being applied to benefit the administration/religion as opposed to the actual code.

What's a code if it isn't applied uniformly? This isn't your run of the mill code...it is a religious code.

No...I don't. I went through it at Albany with an RA...I battled...and I WON! To accept that as normal is giving in to those who choose to follow rules when it helps them.

Look...I am pretty sure that Davies would not have done what he had done had others been busted for it constantly. Yes, he signed an honor code...however it seems that code is only good when it benefits the administration. In this instance, and according to my buddy who happens to hate sports...so it isnt like he is pissy for BYU hurting their title chances, the code is being applied to benefit the administration/religion as opposed to the actual code.

What's a code if it isn't applied uniformly? This isn't your run of the mill code...it is a religious code.

Does your friend by any chance write for Deadspin?

Archived