UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA @ Bing

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rowley with a terrific outing... Well need more of this as teams have figured our small backcourt out...

Maybe. Or possibly teams are paying so much attention to shutting down our guards it's creating more opportunity and space for our front court players. Just a thought.

Maybe. Or possibly teams are paying so much attention to shutting down our guards it's creating more opportunity and space for our front court players. Just a thought.

I was going to post this earlier but got sidetracked. BU had a lot of guys out on the perimeter tonight which opened up a lot of lanes for drives and cuts. Defense was really spread out.

Rowley with a terrific outing... Well need more of this as teams have figured our small backcourt out...

Agreed... My point remains that if teams are gonna sell out like that to stop our guards we need to get the ball inside...

Well, apparently the back button on my browser wants me to remain in exile, but I will try to forge on:

I have been secretly mixing myself in with the away crowds the last two games, jamming myself in among the elderly in Patrick Gymnasium on Saturday, and between the empty seats in the Events Center tonight.

What can I say about the last two games? (I don't really comment on men's basketball anymore, as I feel the objectivity can be lost by many, including myself (but often in the opposite direction for myself.))

1) The UVM game was an obvious disappointment. Before the game the UVM faithful were nervous about their chances. A few minutes into the game, and it was clear the game would not be competitive. UA never had an open shot all day, and they were outhustled throughout the game. When the final buzzer sounded the experience felt like when I was leaving the Times Union Center the year LCC had a senior-laden team and UA never sniffed a lead.

2) The game against Bingo was more encouraging from the perspective of this UA alumnus, but Bingo is not a barometer by which to judge your own team's talent. Simply put, they were atrocious. One player on the team has a jump shot (until Jimmy Gray pulled a Will Harris in the last minute and drained two 3-point jumpers.) Remove Taylor Johnston from the crew and Bingo goes from shooting 34% to shooting 27% for the game.

Throw in three failed alley-oops (including one that Earl "The Goat" Manigault would have trouble corralling yet alone finishing), and top it off with some highly suspect D1 talent, and you get a victory, but nothing to really help predict future performance.

3) On a positive note, all the Aussies looked impressive. With all as underclassmen it leaves something in the cupboard for next year, but they still need to develop consistency, and to perform against the upper tier of the league.

So, I hope the UVM game was an aberration, and I do not think you can glean anything from tonight, but I expect a middle of the pack finish. I would be pleased if UA could exceed my admittedly pessimistic prognostications, but as a still jaded fan I am still not ready to trust the program yet.

Peace!

Edited by haggyland

What happens if teams continue to keep shadowing Iati and have figured out how to shut him down? Can we see a switch and maybe see Devlin back in the starting lineup and have Iati come off the bench? Yes I know he is still avg almost 15 pts a game, but teams are now making it their objective defensively to him shut down.

Rowley was named the 'Breakout Performance' player in ESPN's College Basketball Nation Blog yesterday...

Breakout Performance - Sam Rowley, Albany

Making his first career start, the sophomore went off for 21 points, 13 rebounds and four assists (all easily career highs). Albany beat Binghamton 71-59. Rowley filled the scoring void left by poor performances from Albany’s top two scorers (Jacob Iati and Mike Black) who combined to go 3-for-22 from the field.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/71990/numbers-to-know-monday-recap-5