UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

And the new UAlbany Head Football Coach is......

I especially want to give a shout out to Mike Simpson who has been there since 84. Just a great guy and a super football coach who could def. be hired if he wants to continue coaching.

I second this statement. Mike Simpson is a funny, tough, humble, and just overall a really nice guy. No matter what part of campus I was on, if he saw me he always made a point to pull me aside and chat for a few moments. Great guy!!!

He could stay in college, coach H.S., or even get to the NFL with his contacts. I almost think he should/could have been gone years ago if not for the loyalty he had to Ford and our program.

Edited by Dane96

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets thank the current coaches on this staff who will no longer be a part of this program. Lets remember there is a human side to this, 9 men who have poored their time, energy and life into this program and have gotten it to where it is no longer have jobs.

Agreed...well said. There is a human component to this and as excited as we are today things drastically changed for some who have helped us get where we are today. Best of luck to the staff who are moving on.

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-selects-Ford-s-successor-5049709.php

A few things:

1. Glad Gattusso wants Ford around the program; It's important. I'm not sure Keeler could have handled that situation, and I believe Ford would have felt uncomfortable being "out-and-about" with one of the in-house candidates.

2. It's clear to me Keeler has not changed considerably. He seems to be falling out of favor at the MAC schools and the most damning to me is the statement by Ford that he wanted some who put the kids first!

3. Glad Ford is truly supporting this hire (he would have publicly no matter what); It's clear to me from his statements that he had considerable input into the decisions.

I really think this came down to Coach Rossomondo and Coach Gattusso.

Edited by Dane96

http://www.timesunio...sor-5049709.php

A few things:

1. Glad Gattusso wants Ford around the program; It's important. I'm not sure Keeler could have handled that situation, and I believe Ford would have felt uncomfortable being "out-and-about" with one of the in-house candidates.

2. It's clear to me Keeler has not changed considerably. He seems to be falling out of favor at the MAC schools and the most damning to me is the statement by Ford that he wanted some who put the kids first!

3. Glad Ford is truly supporting this hire (he would have publicly no matter what); It's clear to me from his statements that he had considerable input into the decisions.

I really think this came down to Coach Rossomondo and Coach Gattusso.

Seems accurate on all accounts.

So, how does $230K "rank" in the world of FCS football?

I'm sure he has a bonus that will get him close to 260 or so...with 300 a possibility.

It's a pretty good salary that puts him in the upper echelon of the CAA. FBS LA-Monroe (the lowest reporting school) is $283k total salary with a max bonus of $42.5k.

Buffalo pays $325k base and $10k max bonus.

In FCS, Craig Bohl of NDSU made $216k base and $100k in incentives for winning the title.

Some 2010 numbers total base (don't expect there to be a huge differential in 2013):

Jacksonville State HC- $162,000

K.C. Keeler, Delaware, $310,662

Mickey Matthews, James Madison, $248,000

Sean McDonnell, New Hampshire, $183,000

Jimmy Laycock, William & Mary, $225,000

Rob Ambrose, Towson, $169,200

Jack Cosgrove, Maine, $155,000

Tim Walsh, Cal Poly, $184,085

Bob Biggs, UC Davis, $172,133

Marshall Sperbeck, Sacramento State, $192,529

Brad Lambert, Charlotte - $250,000

Mark Farley, UNI--$255,00

Tony Samuel, SEMO- $125,000

J.C. Harper S.F. Austin- $142,000

Chris Mussman-UND $104,738

Dean Hood, EKU $178,125

Bobby WIlder, ODU- $250,000

Eastern Illinois- $140,000

WCU Coach- $180,000

NC A&T Coach- $160,000

NCCU Coach- $140,000

Beau Baldwin, Eastern Washington- $120,000

Edited by Dane96

This is even more proof that McElroy and Jones are committed to a major level FCS program.

I wonder what the long term 5-10 year plan looks like...they are paying great money for a coach. Wonder if they are shooting for something more then FCS. This pay scale speaks volumes.

I'd love to see whether there is anything in his contract for what happens if UA changes conferences or reclassified to FBS. Highly unlikely, but if its in his contract......

I wonder what the long term 5-10 year plan looks like...they are paying great money for a coach. Wonder if they are shooting for something more then FCS. This pay scale speaks volumes.

One of the few times when I have heard McElroy mention aspirations for an individual program is when he said he wanted women's basketball to reach an Elite 8.

Personally, I think he should be more vocal about pushing for the progression of all programs, instead of just admiring how one coach is making things grow.

(Of course I might just be hearing only what I want to hear...)

Edited by haggyland

Lets thank the current coaches on this staff who will no longer be a part of this program. Lets remember there is a human side to this, 9 men who have poored their time, energy and life into this program and have gotten it to where it is no longer have jobs.

Agreed...well said. There is a human component to this and as excited as we are today things drastically changed for some who have helped us get where we are today. Best of luck to the staff who are moving on.

I agree....I was on the the football site yesterday and took the time to read every coach's profile. Today, all their profiles are gone. I must admit I was sadden, but I truly wish them the best. Great guys!!!