UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Indiana Jonsing and the travel ban of doom

Patch

Once you allow for someone to discriminate on any one factor, you open a slippery slope to nearly every angle possible - discrimination on race, weight, education/"class" etc.

You're welcome to have your own opinions, but you cannot/should not be able to refuse service to someone based upon that. And if you don't want to abide by that, it's simple - don't open a business. Your opinion is free in America, but you re not free to act as how you would like. In your private life you can choose as to who you interact with, talk to etc. But from a business standpoint, you cannot discriminate. Period.

Using your Chik-fil-A example, management are big supporters of organizations that have beliefs that are drastically different from the LGBT community, but don't think for a second that they would ever refuse to accept the order from someone from that community. They recognize the difference and/or are not stupid enough to not take the $$ as well.

And there is zero percent chance that this helps Indiana at all financially speaking. No F100, or even F1000 company will open its doors or expand into Indiana BECAUSE of that cause.

No one is denying access to someone in the LGBT community walking in and buying bread or cake of the shelf from the said baker. This is the analogy you are trying to draw with Chick-Fil-A. Creating a custom cake or employing ones artistic talents in photographing a wedding or working an event like in the case of the farm (I believe) that would have actively placed the objecting party as an ACTIVE participant under the thread of being taken to court and shut down is reprehensible.

There are cases where simply put one group is so diametrically opposed to their counterpart that it's best to simply agree to disagree instead making everything into a huge political debate. There will come a time (if we aren't there yet) where the far right and even center people are simply going to have enough of this nonsense. Should an atheist demand that a christian baker bake them a cake that is offensive to Christians?

Going the other way, there are accounts of folks calling bakery shops in LA, asking that a baker bake them a cake that says nothing more then..."Celebrating traditional marriages"..granted it was just a test to see how many bakers would bake a cake like that. How do you think that went in LA? I suspect the left has no problem denying that request...I can link if you'd like. I mean, it's just business, right?

Boom, another nice post.. You could go on and on. Way too many have gone off the deep end.

If you didn't know any better, you'd think that they were against free markets, free enterprise, the bill of rights, and the constitutional republic that protects an individuals rights from the mob rule mentality of the majority. It'd be a scary day having a bunch of Mao, Marx, and Guevara worshipers running around within the US government.

Edited by uofalbany
  • Like 1

Baking a cake or catering a reception is not taking part in a wedding. The bakery should have baked a cake and given the couple a choice of decorations and phrases that they were comfortable putting on the cake. What, they're so "Christian" they can't wish someone well?

You and I have been through this before I believe...that's right, they gay couple couldn't go find another baker but they'll be totally cool with generic phrases...right?

If I'm a Jewish baker, I should have no problem making a cake that spells out some generic antisemitic mumbo-jumbo...right? It's just business...what if I'm an African American owned business and asked to cater a KKK rally...I mean, it's not illegal as a private citizen to hold racist convictions. It's just business...

There is a certain level of craftsmanship involved...no one denied anyone the ability to walk into a baker and buy bread. Serious question, would you demand that an atheist baker be forced to bake a cake that says "Jesus is Lord of all"? I respect the right of that atheist baker to say, listen, I'm not baking you that! Now if christian walked into a store with a GIANT cross on his neck with a Bible and bought a cake off the shelf and was told your money is no good here. That I would object to as I think most would. There is a material difference there that some folks refuse to acknowledge to the point where they will DEMAND that the cake be baked and are willing to spend their heard earned money and energy to litigate.

Edited by Clickclack

Once you allow for someone to discriminate on any one factor, you open a slippery slope to nearly every angle possible - discrimination on race, weight, education/"class" etc.

You're welcome to have your own opinions, but you cannot/should not be able to refuse service to someone based upon that. And if you don't want to abide by that, it's simple - don't open a business. Your opinion is free in America, but you re not free to act as how you would like. In your private life you can choose as to who you interact with, talk to etc. But from a business standpoint, you cannot discriminate. Period.

Using your Chik-fil-A example, management are big supporters of organizations that have beliefs that are drastically different from the LGBT community, but don't think for a second that they would ever refuse to accept the order from someone from that community. They recognize the difference and/or are not stupid enough to not take the $$ as well.

And there is zero percent chance that this helps Indiana at all financially speaking. No F100, or even F1000 company will open its doors or expand into Indiana BECAUSE of that cause.

No one is denying access to someone in the LGBT community walking in and buying bread or cake of the shelf from the said baker. This is the analogy you are trying to draw with Chick-Fil-A. Creating a custom cake or employing ones artistic talents in photographing a wedding or working an event like in the case of the farm (I believe) that would have actively placed the objecting party as an ACTIVE participant under the thread of being taken to court and shut down is reprehensible.

There are cases where simply put one group is so diametrically opposed to their counterpart that it's best to simply agree to disagree instead making everything into a huge political debate. There will come a time (if we aren't there yet) where the far right and even center people are simply going to have enough of this nonsense. Should an atheist demand that a christian baker bake them a cake that is offensive to Christians?

Going the other way, there are accounts of folks calling bakery shops in LA, asking that a baker bake them a cake that says nothing more then..."Celebrating traditional marriages"..granted it was just a test to see how many bakers would bake a cake like that. How do you think that went in LA? I suspect the left has no problem denying that request...I can link if you'd like. I mean, it's just business, right?

Boom, another nice post.. You could go on and on. Way too many have gone off the deep end.

If you didn't know any better, you'd think that they were against free markets, free enterprise, the bill of rights, and the constitutional republic that protects an individuals rights from the mob rule mentality of the majority. It'd be a scary day having a bunch of Mao, Marx, and Guevara worshipers running around within the US government.

This is what I commented out earlier today in the other thread...this was the point I also made.

Two individual gay people are not a hate group, nor do they pose any physical threat to the bakers. Again, for the anti-Semite, they get to choose from a list of what the baker will put on the cake. I don't think any atheist would object the Jesus quote, since 90% of the country is Christian, you do business with them. And I didn't think the couple sued the baker, they just reported the incident and the state took over prosecution.

Baking a cake or catering a reception is not taking part in a wedding. The bakery should have baked a cake and given the couple a choice of decorations and phrases that they were comfortable putting on the cake. What, they're so "Christian" they can't wish someone well?

Agreed 1000%.

And Click, people have always been able to not work with someone for ANY reason - they just can't advertise that or use it as the foundation for their argument. There's always ways around it. If I owned a wedding venue, and didn't want to work with a couple, because they were gay, purple, or just rude people, I have the right to say that we're booked or ignore their phone calls in the hopes that they go away due to the lack of customer service. It works both ways. A LGBT person should not be able to refuse service to someone because they are "conservative" or religious.

Will UBs Bobby Hurley go to Indiana, despite NYs ban?

http://polhudson.lohudblogs.com/2015/04/02/will-ubs-bobby-hurley-go-to-indiana-despite-nys-ban/

"Bobby Hurley is a state employee as the coach of SUNY Buffalos mens basketball team. Hes also one of the greatest basketball players in the history of Duke, which is playing in Indiana this weekend in the Final Four."

"Still, coaches at SUNYs other three Division I basketball programs said yesterday they will not attend the Final Four as initially planned, and UB President Satish Tripathi issued a statement in support of Cuomos ban. And other UB coaches and teams are abiding by the ban."

Edited by MsGDG