UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

10 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

I am getting more frustrated with the situation with the passing of each season.  I understand the staff is small BUT it would seem that a designated person could post small snipetts on FB or Twitter once or twice per week.   I am NOT holding my breath but I sent an e-mail directly to Coach Marr about the lack of communication to season ticket holders and fans in general concerning such things as the time and place of this scrimmage!

It is horribly frustrating and makes it hard to be a fan of the program. There really is no excuse. I am thankful for the snippets we get from the two beat reporters, and Capital Lax from time to time. 

14 minutes ago, alum73 said:

I was just told it will be in Casey.  1 o'clock.

First it was @ Afrims at 12. Then moved to Casey @ noon. Then possibly back to Afrims; and then Casey at whenever.

Is this firm NOW? I hate to arrive at 1 and find out I missed an hour or even be in the right location. I am pretty devoted, but would also hate to arrive at noon and freeze for an extra hour. Somebody official SHOULD POST IT SOMEWHERE!

Edited by dslyank

On 1/28/2020 at 8:27 AM, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I agree with Coach Marr's comment in the short press release. For years now, people have been waiting for Albany to return to mediocrity, and they got it. This is a big year for the coaching staff. I am cautiously optimistic about the season, and the coaches will have to coach with a much more even keel this year than they did last year. We have a core of high quality juniors and seniors, but the future of the team is with a core group of juniors, several in the senior class, but it is with the younger guys. I will be watching how they manage the roster more closely this year, because last year, primarily with the face off guys it wasn't well done.

For what its worth:

Receiving votes in the preseason Media poll; as UA also did in the preseason IL poll; as they did in Quints poll. No other AmEast teams showed up in any of these.

3 minutes ago, dslyank said:

For what its worth:

Receiving votes in the preseason Media poll; as UA also did in the preseason IL poll; as they did in Quints poll. No other AmEast teams showed up in any of these.

And the AE coaches poll has UA third.  Hmmm, someone is over- estimating or under-estimating this team.  First 5 games will tell.  Come out and go 3-2 at the worst and we can be alright, of course 4-1 is sooo much better as we then probably beat at least one top 20 team.

I received an e-mail directly from Coach Marr.  1 o'clock at Casey.  He also said they have been discussing ways to be more open to fans/especially season ticket holders.

Actually, it was a very gracious e-mail and I thanked him for taking the time to respond.

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

And the AE coaches poll has UA third.  Hmmm, someone is over- estimating or under-estimating this team.  First 5 games will tell.  Come out and go 3-2 at the worst and we can be alright, of course 4-1 is sooo much better as we then probably beat at least one top 20 team.

The team looked decent during the first 1/4 or so during the last scrimmage.  After that the staff made wholesale substitutions.  Actually something they HAVE to do to work on chemistry.  A couple of key players did not play.  Polls are typically based on last year's order of finish.  That is why I personally seldom put very little stock in them.  There are too many variables and changes for each team.  Our biggest deficiency, as some have expressed, is still FO.  Teams live and die based on possessing the ball, this may be the most obvious against the top teams!!

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

The team looked decent during the first 1/4 or so during the last scrimmage.  After that the staff made wholesale substitutions.  Actually something they HAVE to do to work on chemistry.  A couple of key players did not play.  Polls are typically based on last year's order of finish.  That is why I personally seldom put very little stock in them.  There are too many variables and changes for each team.  Our biggest deficiency, as some have expressed, is still FO.  Teams live and die based on possessing the ball, this may be the most obvious against the top teams!!

Right on the polls, the other thing is that just about none of the people who vote in the media poll in particular have the time or money to go out and watch fall games and practices so there is a lot of bias. The fact that Albany was even in the 25th spot or so reflects IMO how well the team looked in the fall games against Penn and West Point, and both of those teams are ranked going into the season.

I'm not suspecting any of the missing players from last week to see the field today so the chemistry thing probably isn't going to get much better facing real opponents. 

7 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Right on the polls, the other thing is that just about none of the people who vote in the media poll in particular have the time or money to go out and watch fall games and practices so there is a lot of bias. The fact that Albany was even in the 25th spot or so reflects IMO how well the team looked in the fall games against Penn and West Point, and both of those teams are ranked going into the season.

I'm not suspecting any of the missing players from last week to see the field today so the chemistry thing probably isn't going to get much better facing real opponents. 

So long as they are practicing during the week they can work on chemistry then, at least some.  It may be wise to hold them out for a couple of more weeks till the opening game, almost an extra month of recovery!

Just back from the scrimmage. left after the 4th. 

Impressed today.  Maybe 50/50 on faceoffs. many on ground balls after the clutch.  The entire team was very aggressive, and VERY fast, passing, attacking on D.  Looks more like U Albany Teams of the past,  quick and fast BUT with the addition of a lot more aggression.  Gonna need that on the 15th,  Same guys did not play.

Hogg played VERY well today, had like 6 goals and at least 2 assists, Tehoka had several assists and 3 or 4 goals.  Casey had a couple of goals. Of course there were several other players who had goals.  Other guys who I thought stood out, again were Hay, Pepe, Piseno, Kunz, Ryan.  Chase Noah played well while in there I thought.  Of course there were others but those few stood out to me.

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Just back from the scrimmage. left after the 4th. 

Impressed today.  Maybe 50/50 on faceoffs. many on ground balls after the clutch.  The entire team was very aggressive, and VERY fast, passing, attacking on D.  Looks more like U Albany Teams of the past,  quick and fast BUT with the addition of a lot more aggression.  Gonna need that on the 15th,  Asme guys did not play.

Hogg played VERY well today, had like 6 goals and at least 2 assists, Tehoka had several assists and 3 or 4 goals.  Casey had a couple of goals. Of course there were several other players who had goals.  Other guys who I thought stood out, again were Hay, Pepe, Piseno, Kunz, Ryan.  Chase Noah played well while in there I thought.  Of course there were others but those few stood out to me.

Thanks for the update!

I got a few updates along the way, and this is a much better team than last year. I am a bit concerned by the number of injuries and key guys who have been out for various reasons. This a much different set up than previous year where there was another scrimmage and then off to Syracuse. Two more weeks to get healthy and work out the kinks before a tough Cornell team comes to town.

• Like 1

I also left after the 4th qtr; I had an appointment. Weather was actually pleasant--sunny no wind-would have stayed for another it was a fun afternoon. St Johns is ether really bad or UA will be surprising a lot of people. I had qtr score breakdowns of 7-4; 13-7 @ ½; 19-8 after 3 and 20-11 final {st's last 3 goals were all man up against subs with their last with 9 seconds left. As Hof said, Nanticoke and Hogg combined for 10+ goals and almost that many assists between them. I was VERY happy to see McComber get a hat trick playing as the 4th attack with the first string and a late goal playing the 3 with the subs. His first goal was a man-up laser, but I was very impressed with his second goal--he made an awesome move to lose his man on the side line and blazed in for the goal. His 3rd was another laser after beating a short stick out front. His last was a nice wrap around and the only goal UA had in the 4th. Speaking of wraps #5 Chase Noah had one in the 3rd. I do not think he played in the first ½.  Casey also had a laser man-up goal early and a wrap around in the 3rd. After, $ienna I tried to pay special attention to McComber and Noah and I am pretty sure of their #s. Think Yunker had a punch of assists, but hard to keep track without the public address announcer.

As much as I was impressed with the offense, the most satisfying thing was UA's RIDE. Caused @ least 3-4, 20 second violations and at least that many steals. And the 50-50 face-off wins was really a result of the wing play. Actual clean draws were few.Thought Altamari was better than Jones again; but neither very good still.

The D was outstanding and regularly stole the ball. The D-middies did give up a few, but even they played well in my opinion.

That's it; attendance about 50--please feel free to add and/or correct.

I did overhear someone say something about another scrimmage and Marr plans on using the walking wounded in the last scrimmage. Do not know if this is true or maybe heard it wrong???

Speaking of mia's, I have not norticed #7 Mitch Laffin even on the sideline, either game??

Of course no love from ESPN.  They announced their TV schedule via ESPNU, ESPN3, AND ACCN and UA not on any games even with us playing five Top 20 teams as it stands now.  Sure Quint was behind it, lol.  Would be nice if the Cuse game at home was broadcast but noooooo.