UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Inside Lacrosse reported the following players entered the transfer portal:

* BJ  Burlace Yale Freshman Defense

* Christian Tomei  Ohio State Freshman Goalie

* Mac Cost in Utah Freshman Mid-fielder

All were rated as quality high school players.

It will be interesting to see which, If any, seniors decide to come back after graduating already and If the school pays their scholarship, if they were getting any money.  My guess is very very few and I would hope the school would cover it since it is partial scholarships but that might be a conference decision for all schools.  

Tehoka is only a junior. According to canceled season accommodations; I believe he has two years of eligibility remaining. Unless he goes pro of course. 

I might have it wrong, but I believe all spring sports athletes are being granted an extra year of eligibility. Seniors have some additional benefits and some of the accommodations are school and/or conference options. I might have it all wrong but I think the rule states seniors can return for the 2021 season without affecting # of schoolies and max player issues. In subsequent years, students (like Tehoka) taking advantage of an extra year of eligibility will count against scholies and the such.

If I have it wrong, please correct me. I won't take offense.

• Like 2

Correct and I agree.  I’ll add that everyone isn’t always on the 4 year plan to graduate. It wasn’t the strongest class in the world and the replacements are already on board or coming.  Probably better use of the resources to just move on.  I would be surprised if more than 2 stay but not surprised if none do.  I suspect there will be plenty of transfers from expensive private schools.  If we take any on, that would eat into the allotment but that’s when SUNY prices become an advantage.  In my opinion, the NCAA should’ve just said it’s very unfortunate but it’s a lost season for all involved.  This will have impact for the next 4-5 years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 518Lacrosse said:

Correct and I agree.  I’ll add that everyone isn’t always on the 4 year plan to graduate. It wasn’t the strongest class in the world and the replacements are already on board or coming.  Probably better use of the resources to just move on.  I would be surprised if more than 2 stay but not surprised if none do.  I suspect there will be plenty of transfers from expensive private schools.  If we take any on, that would eat into the allotment but that’s when SUNY prices become an advantage.  In my opinion, the NCAA should’ve just said it’s very unfortunate but it’s a lost season for all involved.  This will have impact for the next 4-5 years.

As of right now I think no more than one or two seniors may come back. I agree with you that the NCAA policy while well intentioned was a mistake with too many unintended consequences.

No idea on Tehoka, but it wouldn't shock me if he doesn't return. The Native players are very tight, and his best friends are moving on. 

12 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

As of right now I think no more than one or two seniors may come back. I agree with you that the NCAA policy while well intentioned was a mistake with too many unintended consequences.

No idea on Tehoka, but it wouldn't shock me if he doesn't return. The Native players are very tight, and his best friends are moving on. 

I am taking a more optimistic view that Tehoka will return.

• Like 2

Alright Scott Marr, put on your best recruiting hat and have Michael Sowers from Princeton come by for a visit.  He just put his name in the transfer portal since Princeton (and Yale) will not allow a withdrawl and then a re-entry to get the extra year.  Now if TD does the same, and we get both guys (and Tehoka comes back), look out for next season!  I must be dreaming, lol.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2020 at 7:24 AM, nysteve661 said:

Alright Scott Marr, put on your best recruiting hat and have Michael Sowers from Princeton come by for a visit.  He just put his name in the transfer portal since Princeton (and Yale) will not allow a withdrawl and then a re-entry to get the extra year.  Now if TD does the same, and we get both guys (and Tehoka comes back), look out for next season!  I must be dreaming, lol.

I feel that Michael Sowers likely has a select few schools in mind.  The schools are Syracuse, Duke, North Carolina, Virginia and Maryland.   All have a history going to NCAA regularly plus top notch graduate schools.  Perhaps,  Scott can tap into our recent past: Thompson brothers, Connor Field, Blaze Riorden and the many others.  Yes, we have great graduate programs however; we likely competing with one of the blue bloods.

April 3: Syracuse at UAlbany
This game meant a lot to those in the Capital Region. After all those trips across I-90, the Orange would finally be coming their way. It would have been one of the better crowds of the year, because both fanbases are fantastic. Also — even though they were 2-3 the Danes were showing a lot of promise, and Tehoka (19, 8) looked like Tehoka again.
—MK

Per IL article games they had circled in 2020.

Also, interesting article by Quint on the transfer portal and senior extensions. Too long to quote; but a couple things caught my eye:  one top level assistant coach and recruiting coordinator said most/many coaches are checking the portal EVERY 10 MINUTES. Another top level assistant related; his team rarely gets involved with the portal because it is mostly troubled and "bad" kids. My bet this was someone from a real top program or someone really behind the times; as even in non-covid 19 years; the portal seems to have really taken hold across all sports??  To me it sounded like a real snobbish comment and I had trouble believing him. [THOUGHTS & OPINIONS about this comment or the articles in general.]

Edited by dslyank
  • Thanks 1