Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recommended Posts

Quote

Hobart, Delaware, Albany, Navy, Nova, Rutgers, Princeton, Hofstra, Drexel, Richmond, Bucknell, RoMo, Michigan, High Point and Marquette — these are the hungry teams, starving for a win and national respect. All are capable. All are dangerous. There is very little difference between the teams ranked No. 14 to No. 35.

Per Quint after week one. He is usually NOT a big UA supporter; but has UA just outside the top 20. After only a handful of teams played week one, he must see or hear something he likes about UA. Like I said in another post, no other AmEast team listed 1-35. I know Scott and the team is playing down, the AmEast coaches pre-season snub. Personally, I think the coaches who did not vote UA #1 are/were just playing mind games or wishful thinking. I think we had the best talent in the league last year; {it did not click and we discussed it ad infinitum}, but an honest assessment would still show UA with the best overall talent by far. Saw an interview on Great Dane Web site; Marr coach speak--playing down the pre-season vote; but Nanticoke and especially Patterson both said they would use the snub as some additional motivation. IMHO, I do not think this team really needs any additional motivation to prove last year was a fluke and I think the lack of honesty in the vote is going to come back and bite those playing games in a big way. Thoughts and Opinions--I know it really does not mean a thing; but Do You Really think the other coaches in the league think UA is no better than the third best team???

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Piseno - got some love from the pundits very late in the recruiting cycles. Kid has an unbelievable motor and a big time stick. He will remind you of an even more athletic Troy Reh. Time will tell if

No Tehoka on IL Preseason AE team?  That should get him fired up I hope.  

Nothing to add to hof's summary. He was/is spot on. Great turnout. SRO.

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

Per Quint after week one. He is usually NOT a big UA supporter; but has UA just outside the top 20. After only a handful of teams played week one, he must see or hear something he likes about UA. Like I said in another post, no other AmEast team listed 1-35. I know Scott and the team is playing down, the AmEast coaches pre-season snub. Personally, I think the coaches who did not vote UA #1 are/were just playing mind games or wishful thinking. I think we had the best talent in the league last year; {it did not click and we discussed it ad infinitum}, but an honest assessment would still show UA with the best overall talent by far. Saw an interview on Great Dane Web site; Marr coach speak--playing down the pre-season vote; but Nanticoke and especially Patterson both said they would use the snub as some additional motivation. IMHO, I do not think this team really needs any additional motivation to prove last year was a fluke and I think the lack of honesty in the vote is going to come back and bite those playing games in a big way. Thoughts and Opinions--I know it really does not mean a thing; but Do You Really think the other coaches in the league think UA is no better than the third best team???

I felt early on that UA was a legit 15-20 team, but maybe have tempered my expectations based upon the injury situation and no apparent improvement at the face off.

That being said the amount of overall team depth is probably as good as it has ever been. When 40% of your starting lineup basically hasn’t played yet and as well as they have played is a good sign.

Coach Matt has been very low key so far and I wonder if that is on purpose. I just listened to the IL podcast from last week and they were talking about Tehoka and how he is now invisible after a huge box season. Those who have seen him in the scrimmages know what I am talking about in terms of how different he is this year.

The key is going to be getting Ron John and Patterson back on the field and into the flow of things, goalie play will have to be a bit better than it has been, and the face unit whether it be the FOGO or wings playing better.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 10:04 AM, dslyank said:

Per Quint after week one. He is usually NOT a big UA supporter; but has UA just outside the top 20. After only a handful of teams played week one, he must see or hear something he likes about UA. Like I said in another post, no other AmEast team listed 1-35. I know Scott and the team is playing down, the AmEast coaches pre-season snub. Personally, I think the coaches who did not vote UA #1 are/were just playing mind games or wishful thinking. I think we had the best talent in the league last year; {it did not click and we discussed it ad infinitum}, but an honest assessment would still show UA with the best overall talent by far. Saw an interview on Great Dane Web site; Marr coach speak--playing down the pre-season vote; but Nanticoke and especially Patterson both said they would use the snub as some additional motivation. IMHO, I do not think this team really needs any additional motivation to prove last year was a fluke and I think the lack of honesty in the vote is going to come back and bite those playing games in a big way. Thoughts and Opinions--I know it really does not mean a thing; but Do You Really think the other coaches in the league think UA is no better than the third best team???

I think, just my thought, that polls are typically based on last year's finish.  We had talent last year but did not have the chemistry much of the time. And faceoff killed us.  Now two years out from TD leaving we just have to rely on what we have.  After watching the two scrimmages I personally think Altimari will be #1 this year.  Just wish he was quicker and  'tougher' and more aggressive out of the clutch.

Edited by HOF2013
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

I think, just my thought, that polls are typically based on last year's finish.  We had talent last year but did not have the chemistry much of the imte. And faceoff kille dus.  Now two years out from TD leaving we just have to rely on what we have.  After watching the two scrimmages I personally think Altimari will be #1 this year.  Just wish he was quicker and  'tougher' and more aggressive out of the clutch.

Totally agree on the rankings. You have voters who probably didn’t see a fall game, and haven’t talked with coaches or visited practices.

I think Quint is right that teams 10 or so through about 35 are more or less a toss up. We’ll see, but it looks like there are 3-5 teams at a different level and then a bunch of teams. The biggest difference maker is the elite FOGO of which we used to have one.

Luckily there are not any elite FOGO’s in the conference  although the guy from Lowell is pretty good, and I think UVM’s FOGO transferred. I think he only AE team in the tournament will be whoever wins the conference tournament which is why I suspect Marr will hold out Patterson and Burgmaster unless they are really 100%.

Altamari started out number one last year. I don’t understand what is going on with that. He got almost no reps in the fall games. I saw the first but not second scrimmage and I’m not sure there is a big separation between him and Jones.

I think at some point  Marr will put the best athlete out there to muck it up against the better fogo’s And he’ll roll with Altamari or Jones against the weaker teams.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know why the AmEast poll really bothered me so much. I know polls basically meaningless and national polls mostly done site unseen. Within a conference though you would THINK coaches would have a better sense of the other teams and base there assessments on "knowledge" and NOT gamesmanship. Anyhow, can't wait for the season to begin. 

Agree with both your assessments. Not quite as concerned about face-offs. Did not see either fall ball, but after almost 10 qtr's of winter scrimmage looks like Marr has X under control. DO NOT mean UA will dominate; but he seems to have a plan. In the league and against average teams UA should be close to 50%. Seems to have wings more aggressively involved (he seems to know none of our 3 options are going to be A+ or even B-); but the defensive intensity;  the 9-10 man rides; and aggressive wing play in the scrimmages did result in increasing the # of our possessions (a major issue last year.) Don't forget, UA for years (at least until Irelan arrived) had to rely on similar things to get the ball to the offense. Against top teams, especially teams with elite or + fogos, the above strategies will be severely tested, but UA has been pretty successful in the past without a top fogo.

ps At this point kind, unless Altamari really take control, I kind of like the rookie (Mastropolo). Think he is going to be a pretty good one with some experience and gets over the rookie jitters etc.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Have fun at the meet and greet. I hope there is a great turnout.

Times-Union article out this morning saying Patterson practiced and is a go against Cornell, Burgmaster still not ready, and not sure on the Ron John situation.

Starting attack per the article is Tehoka, Patterson, and Hogg with Yunker and McComber on deck. That is a good problem to have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Have fun at the meet and greet. I hope there is a great turnout.

Times-Union article out this morning saying Patterson practiced and is a go against Cornell, Burgmaster still not ready, and not sure on the Ron John situation.

Starting attack per the article is Tehoka, Patterson, and Hogg with Yunker and McComber on deck. That is a good problem to have.

exactly what we thought as starters, no??

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was a good meet and greet - waited for a bunch of guys to get out of class and get to the Madison.  Had quite a large group of players there.  Coach talked to the young kids in the audience first about doing well in school, studying, reading a lot, reading extra, then told them to focus and concentrate on their 'craft'.  Assistant Ad announced over  800 season tickets right now, increasing every day!   Been top 5 in attendance last several years.  Coach Marr didn't really talk about starters [he was asked].  He said they use about 20-25 different guys and don't want to really call anybody a starter.  I asked about FO - he said that if they could average 50% he thought they would be fine.  Said that the St John FOGO is pretty good and we did well against him.  He talked about 10 man rides and aggressiveness of Middies and LSD.  Large Crowd!  Place was full!

Edited by HOF2013
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-men-s-lacrosse-holding-itself-accountable-15040764.php

2018, maybe they are finally listening to you. Ever since TD left and perhaps even before you have cautioned the team atmosphere may have been too loose. I hope all the accountability talk NOW is not just lip service and produces improved results in games and recruiting. But I hope UA does not stray too far away from their free wheeling and let the players PLAY style. I like the new more professional look and approach, but must admit I do miss the head shots.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dslyank said:

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-men-s-lacrosse-holding-itself-accountable-15040764.php

2018, maybe they are finally listening to you. Ever since TD left and perhaps even before you have cautioned the team atmosphere may have been too loose. I hope all the accountability talk NOW is not just lip service and produces improved results in games and recruiting. But I hope UA does not stray too far away from their free wheeling and let the players PLAY style. I like the new more professional look and approach, but must admit I do miss the head shots.

I wish I had that kind of pull with the coaches!

When you are winning the little issues can get swept under the rug, and it has been good to hear that while it still fun, things have tightened up a bit.

The most obvious change has been Tehoka. Not that he was a problem but he just seems like a different guy, and has a chip on his shoulder. I think in the past guys who were doing it really right were not necessarily rewarded, and certain players were not held accountable and that showed last year.

If doesn’t hurt to have a very solid freshmen class and more in the pipeline to keep guys on their toes.

I think not having the third scrimmage was also a good thing. It is allowing them to heal up and really work on fundamentals. I understand the practices have been very demanding.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...