UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Harvard, Men's Lacrosse, Saturday, 02-29-2020 @ 100 PM

10 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

You are right if a defender or goalie never got beat then no one would ever score. The problem with the defense is that it isn't getting better and the same mistakes are happening over and over again. Our announcers do a nice job, and as the home team guys they are on the gentle side when it comes to critiquing players, but when they are saying the same thing week after week, and it isn't getting addressed then it makes you wonder what is going on.

Lots of guys, which I like, are getting in the mix on offense. I know you what continuity on defense, and I don't know if it is the scheme or the personnel, but it isn't getting it done on defense.

Not totally disagreeing but I thought they looked better over-all on Def.   The  loyalty to guys who have been in the program, i.e upperclassman, seems to be getting them in trouble  on Def.  Nuff said.   One senior in particular seems to never come out and gets caught flat footed a lot -allows guys to go around him and shoot.   Like I said attack are QUICK so it can happen to any one of them at any given time - same thing happens to other teams.  I think from our perspective we all want perfection - not gonna happen.  As Is aid I think the Def. played much better over-all. Git a little hairy in the 3rd Q and the 4th.  The guys come out hot but lose some of the intensity as the game progresses.

1 hour ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I took a few notes on the replay.

- as far as the transition of the face off. I understand one of the knocks on Altamari in the past was his fitness and ability to take multiple face offs without wearing down. On just about every transition take a look at where the wings were. They were on the offensive side of midfield which totally opened up the fast break opportunities. Especially look at the play of the LSM's on the face offs. There were often out of position and not in a position to impact Harvard's transition opportunities.

- McComber. No idea but did see Swingruber on the field and Eccles who hadn't played any until the last two games. The bigger mystery to me is Ramierez. He is the one middle who can consistently beat his man on a dodge and get the defense rotating. I don't think he got on the field yesterday. Like HOF, I like seeing more bodies in the midfield as they are productive. It looks like Burgmaster is still not 100% and hopefully he continues to heal, because he does have a cannon for an outside shot.

Diamond and Yunker - I like to see Diamond still getting some time. Yunker finally changed levels in front of the cage and Davis needs to start finishing his opportunities, but I like seeing him in the mix.

Schwab - I don't think he played yesterday. I saw someone on crutches on the sideline and don't know if that was him or not. I wasn't able to stay for the tailgate so didn't get a chance to socialize after the game.

The offense is starting to get its act together. After a bit of a shaky start, Patterson really started to play great and you could see him moving better and better as the game went along and he was able to do a couple of really nice finalizers behind the cage to shake free and get the Harvard defense spinning. This could be the most well balanced offense Albany has ever had. No Thomson or Fields, but the combination of Tehoka, Patterson, Yunker, Hogg, John, Casey, and one other threat can be a very potent offensive group. I think the missing part is a middle who can effectively dodge the alley. I still think we are very vulnerable to a zone defense.

Goalie play - I never have a problem with a coach pulling a player, especially a goalie for a mental health check, but the stat line and the reality yesterday were not the same. I know more about what is going on with the other side of the field, but if you pull the goalie and if nothing is getting addressed with the close defense and LSM play then something is horribly wrong.

Fortunately we didn't have to play a ton of 6 v 6 defense, and when we did because of a great 10 man ride, Harvard rarely had a lot of time to run their offense. I think the biggest improvement and kudos to someone, was in the play of the defensive middie play. It wasn't an immediate beat on the alley dodge. That was a massive improvement. I think Kozar is playing lights out for the most part. It looks like Kunz is playing the role of the defender in the crease who has to cover up mistakes, and be the QB of sorts of the defense. From what I understand from how they try to play, that is a very tough position to play and will often times make it look like he is out of position. It is pretty clear after three games that Kozar is going to lock up on their number one offensive player. Like you I don't understand what is going on with the third defensive position. Hay just doesn't seem to play defense, and I still haven't seen anyone say if you try to get in front of my goalie I am going to put you on your rear end. 

Filipowski seems to still be playing with a knee brace so maybe that is why he isn't getting a shot, but if that is the case, and mobility is an issue, then why would the roll him out on the man down unit when you need to be moving and rotating? 

You are correct that we seem to have trouble against a zone -not a new thing!!  Agree on Kozar, doing a great job. Swinberger played quite a bit and did a good job I thought. Pepe did a great job. I wish they left him at wing more often. One time Coach Marr was telling him with hand signals to move laterally from the wing INTO the Fast break lane side of the FO.  Worked!  Kuntz did not get in position on Fastbreaks and then he gets caught flat footed when he slides to one side or the other and the Attack just takes two steps one way or the other and has an open shot and scores, happened more than once yesterday.  It is also annoying as hell that he doesn't challenge the other team when the ball is on the ground.  He waits until the other kid picks it up and then goes after him.  All the guys near me in the stands were saying the same thing.  WHY do we not immediately harass amd challenge when the ball is on the ground??   Gotta move the feet laterally.  I disagree on Hay, although there was one obvious time when an H kid came around the net and stepped past him and scored. Some guys just do not play as physically as others, doesn't mean they can't be effective and good.   I think he does a great job - remember I have no skin in UA Lacrosse except as a FB alum whose son played Lacrosse at UA years ago and loves UA FB and Lacrosse. Same thing though he has gotta move the feet laterally.  It annoys me when kids get beat because they get caught flat footed and do not move laterally.   I personally think Schwab not playing helped the Def.  

After quickly fast-forwarding through some of the replay I placed too much blame on Altimari. In a close game like you want to see players give it everything they have all the time, similar to running through first base on a ground ball. 

I agree with all thats been said about 6 on 6 defense. Communication and slides have been improving every week. There have been a lot of changes made during the first few games of the season that usually get ironed out in the preseason. The team has been improving since week 1 and as they get more practice and game time together they should continue to get better. Hay has a good stick and helps a lot with clears and transition, he even had one or two shot backups yesterday, but I think his on ball defense is where he can improve the most. 

I caught some of the Duke vs Richmond game this weekend and heard Quint mention how Danowski has been throwing a lot of players on the field just trying to see what works, but said its time for him to set the depth chart and let his top guys play. It seems like the same thing is going on at Albany. Outside of the offensive and defensive starters, and a few midfielders, it doesnt seem like there is any structure to the depth chart. Theres been a lot of experimenting with players in close games and critical situations when your top guys should be in make sure the game doesnt get away. In addition to the others mentioned Chase Noah also got his first action yesterday.  

Have not watched the re-play yet but the TU had one of their best game reviews ever. Those who know me, know the TU and i go way back and NOT in a complimentary way; so I do not give this praise lightly. I would post the link if I knew how and will play with it and see if I can get it done; but a few highlights:

Siekaski had a total of ONE save in the first half. He admitted to being a little lackadaisical and un-focused. The meeting with Marr was very encouraging; with Marr saying you are definitely going back-in after you get a rest to get your head together. He returned totally determined to NOT screw up. {had 7 saves from there; including some spectacular ones including 2-3 after D-break downs.}

Ua won 12-19 first half face-offs. Harvard inserted a fogo who had been struggling and the struggling fogo won all but one in the second half.

Got to give Marr and staff credit for reacting to both situations and making in-game decisions and corrections. Even though UA was un-successful with their fogo moves; pulling Sierkaski probably saved the game. ps Heller held his own during the switch:  2-saves 2 allowed 50% not awful.

Edited by dslyank
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Laxdawg20 said:

I would rather see Pepe at close D & Hay as the LSM. They need a tougher D that when someone slides takes the body and knocks an offensive player on his ass. Can’t slide and swing at sticks! Pepe is much tougher & more athletic 

Actually I agree with this.  I really like what Pepe has done.  Big strong,tough and coachable!  Hay was at middie a lot and then they put him in close a few times. We were saying the whole game to leave Pepe in close..

7 hours ago, PrisonMike said:

After quickly fast-forwarding through some of the replay I placed too much blame on Altimari. In a close game like you want to see players give it everything they have all the time, similar to running through first base on a ground ball. 

I agree with all thats been said about 6 on 6 defense. Communication and slides have been improving every week. There have been a lot of changes made during the first few games of the season that usually get ironed out in the preseason. The team has been improving since week 1 and as they get more practice and game time together they should continue to get better. Hay has a good stick and helps a lot with clears and transition, he even had one or two shot backups yesterday, but I think his on ball defense is where he can improve the most. 

I caught some of the Duke vs Richmond game this weekend and heard Quint mention how Danowski has been throwing a lot of players on the field just trying to see what works, but said its time for him to set the depth chart and let his top guys play. It seems like the same thing is going on at Albany. Outside of the offensive and defensive starters, and a few midfielders, it doesnt seem like there is any structure to the depth chart. Theres been a lot of experimenting with players in close games and critical situations when your top guys should be in make sure the game doesnt get away. In addition to the others mentioned Chase Noah also got his first action yesterday.  

Can't disagree Mike!

On 2/29/2020 at 4:28 PM, UAalum72 said:

Lost faceoffs 13-19, GBs 36-47

Attendance holding up with another 1500+ on a cold but not terrible afternoon 

Both still the Biggest Issue in my mind...

I guess I am not seeing what the rest of you are seeing. I even went back and watched the game again. Harvard puts up 14 against us, and only 8 against Holy Cross and 10 against UMass. That isn't a great trend for us.

I think the offense is starting to find its way, but I am still confused by what we are doing on defense and man down.

I don't know what to make of UMass, but the real test will be on Saturday against Maryland. 

Harvard scored mostly on UA mistakes, face breaks and some lackadaisical goal keeping admitting so by Siekierski. A senior goalie should be able to make more than one save in 2 ½ periods by accident. Admittedly many of those shots were due to UA errors and face breaks {one by Siek's own unforced error.} The fact that Sierkierski made 2 or 3 saves on point blank shots ultimately SAVING the game, goes to show the skill level which he did NOT display earlier.

Not saying the team is all the way back; but the offense is almost there IMHO, and the D is getting better all the time. The ride has been impressive but like a full court press in basketball, when it fails you often leave yourself open to 3 on 2,  2 on 1, 1 on none fast breaks. Tighten this up some, cut down on the unforced errors and get Sierkierski to playing 60 minutes like he is capable (which in my opinion he has not done for 60 minutes in any of the first 3 games) and the team will be just fine.

Also think today's test in a sense is more critical than Maryland. UA even when bad seems to compete against the elite teams, I'm more concerned with what they do against teams "AT" UA's level, which historically Umass has been.

ps UA one of only two teams in the country not to give up a man down goal (must be doing something right here)

Wanted to make the short trip to mass today, but the prediction of rain later scared me away, even though its bright sunshine as I write now. Will watch on LSN.

Transition defense has been a sticking point for UAlbany in each of the last two games as Marr said the team is still adjusting to a new substitution pattern that’s been implemented over the past couple of weeks.

“We’ve really got to work on our substitutions,” Marr said. “That’s something we’ve been concerned about, the fact that we’re taking guys off the field so much as opposed to our two-way guys, who would just get back in the hole and play defense. It’s a lot to get used to for our guys, and we’ve only been doing it for two weeks now.”

from article in today's Schenectady Gazette. In article Marr gives praise to the 6 on 6 D.