UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Harvard, Men's Lacrosse, Saturday, 02-29-2020 @ 100 PM

11 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

Definitely in the 1st half he had no chance but watch the goals in the 3rd before he was pulled for a bit.  Marr with a good move to reset his mind.

#3d period all year, scrimmages and games?????????????????  Got to change 1/2 time maybe.  No idea what is said or how coaches approach it BUT not working.  We come out flat as heck every game in the 3rd quarter.....  Ground balls again - mostly off the FO clutch, which we win more often than not and then lose the ball.  The kids are being aggressive so not sure what the cause is but.....pretty obvious.  Lead to 3 or 4 fast break goals for Harvard and got them back  in  the game.

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nysteve661 said:

Is it just me or is Siekirski letting in alot of goals that should be saved?

I have too watch the replay, but I also thought Siekirski gave up 2 to 3 goals that were savable. I thought the 6 on 6 D played a lot better today. A couple of "olay's";  but not nearly as bad as in game one and even two. In the first half the majority of harvard's goals were on fast breaks NOT against the D-set. One goal when Siekirski passed the ball directly to a defender with NO UA player anywhere near the pass. A goal in the 4th came after Ron John with no one on him just dropped the ball at the 40 and harvard picked it up and ran in un-contested for a goal. UA did cause 2-3 20 second violations and the same amount amount of shot clock violations. The break away goals were pretty much un-stoppable; but overall I thought the D (especially 6 on 6) was very good today. Maybe I change my mind when I watch the replay??

Edited by dslyank

This team is good when then can control the faceoff and don't have to play defense. Altimari looked good at times but his complete lack of effort when in pursuit after losing faceoffs gave harvard multiple fast break goals, coaches cant let that happen. Unsettled/ transition defense is horrible, nate didn't play well for three quarters but the defense is constantly giving up high percentage opportunities and leaving him out to dry. Hay has work to do, I don't think hes one of the top three close defenders on the team. Otherwise, the defense plays hard and with a lot of effort and has done well creating turnovers and forcing shot clock violations.

Theres no Fields or Thompson on this team but Patterson and Nanticoke are the best, and most experienced players on offense, and should be initiating most of the time. Tehoka might not have elite vision as a passer but he seems to be feeling doubles better this year and moving the ball when he needs to. He gets defenses rotating and out of position. The offense as a unit feels like its lacking an identity and hasnt hit its stride completely. Could be due to patterson and John missing preseason and fall ball. Theyre getting good looks but havent been cashing in on the "easy" and high percentage looks. What happened to Mccomber? Hes been MIA the past two games.

Its been touched on by others but the team doesnt look well coached at times.  Theres sloppy play, unforced turnovers and sometimes lack of effort. Theres still work to be done if this team want to win the AE and be competitive in the tournament. 

Unrelated to the game, but as someone who can make it to games the video production of the online streams has gotten worse this year. The commentators are great but way too often the cameras are following players sub off the field or are focused on midfield while theres action going on out of frame. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, PrisonMike said:

This team is good when then can control the faceoff and don't have to play defense. Altimari looked good at times but his complete lack of effort when in pursuit after losing faceoffs gave harvard multiple fast break goals, coaches cant let that happen. Unsettled/ transition defense is horrible, nate didn't play well for three quarters but the defense is constantly giving up high percentage opportunities and leaving him out to dry. Hay has work to do, I don't think hes one of the top three close defenders on the team. Otherwise, the defense plays hard and with a lot of effort and has done well creating turnovers and forcing shot clock violations.

Theres no Fields or Thompson on this team but Patterson and Nanticoke are the best, and most experienced players on offense, and should be initiating most of the time. Tehoka might not have elite vision as a passer but he seems to be feeling doubles better this year and moving the ball when he needs to. He gets defenses rotating and out of position. The offense as a unit feels like its lacking an identity and hasnt hit its stride completely. Could be due to patterson and John missing preseason and fall ball. Theyre getting good looks but havent been cashing in on the "easy" and high percentage looks. What happened to Mccomber? Hes been MIA the past two games.

Its been touched on by others but the team doesnt look well coached at times.  Theres sloppy play, unforced turnovers and sometimes lack of effort. Theres still work to be done if this team want to win the AE and be competitive in the tournament. 

Unrelated to the game, but as someone who can make it to games the video production of the online streams has gotten worse this year. The commentators are great but way too often the cameras are following players sub off the field or are focused on midfield while theres action going on out of frame. 

Yeah the camera work has been atrocious this year. Makes me think it's a student handling it lol

1 hour ago, PrisonMike said:

Spot on.

Just saw the game is on demand now and am watching it.

I'll just bite my tongue and agree with just about everything you have said, especially regarding the coaching and inability to make in-game adjustments. 

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

I have too watch the replay, but I also thought Siekirski gave up 2 to 3 goals that were savable. I thought the 6 on 6 D played a lot better today. A couple of "olay's";  but not nearly as bad as in game one and even two. In the first half the majority of harvard's goals were on fast breaks NOT against the D-set. One goal when Siekirski passed the ball directly to a defender with NO UA player anywhere near the pass. A goal in the 4th came after Ron John with no one on him just dropped the ball at the 40 and harvard picked it up and ran in un-contested for a goal. UA did cause 2-3 20 second violations and the same amount amount of shot clock violations. The break away goals were pretty much un-stoppable; but overall I thought the D (especially 6 on 6) was very good today. Maybe I change my mind when I watch the replay??

100% correct!  

Today's Offensive Points:

# Player G A P
1 Tehoka Nanticoke 5 3 8
17 Jakob Patterson 3 4 7
11 Corey Yunker 2 2 4
45 Graydon Hogg 2 1 3
2 Kyle Casey 2 0 2
33 Ron John 1 1 2

Today's Goalie stats:

# Goalie Saves GA %
6 Nate Siekierski 7 12 36.84%
30 Tommy Heller 2 2 50%

Nothing on faceoffs anywhere that I can find.

1 hour ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Spot on.

Just saw the game is on demand now and am watching it.

I'll just bite my tongue and agree with just about everything you have said, especially regarding the coaching and inability to make in-game adjustments. 

I

2 hours ago, PrisonMike said:

I am not sure the sloppy play can all be hung on the coaches,  We all have to remember there are a LOT of freshman and sophomores playing a LOT!!  I do like to rotating in of players.  I would like to see sticking with a couple of kids a little longer.  Not going to name names this week.  We all know there will be a few times when even the best Def player will allow an easy goal.   The real frustrating thing for the guys in our section was the lack of going after dropped balls.  Watching the other team go and pick it up without challenging for the ball!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PrisonMike said:

As far as McComber goes I really don't know. I think it was the Cornell game and he took one ill advised shot, was pulled and never to be seen from again. There seem to be some players who have no leash and others who have very, very long leashes.

9 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

I

I am not sure the sloppy play can all be hung on the coaches,  We all have to remember there are a LOT of freshman and sophomores playing a LOT!!  I do like to rotating in of players.  I would like to see sticking with a couple of kids a little longer.  Not going to name names this week.  We all know there will be a few times when even the best Def player will allow an easy goal.   The real frustrating thing for the guys in our section was the lack of going after dropped balls.  Watching the other team go and pick it up without challenging for the ball!

You are right if a defender or goalie never got beat then no one would ever score. The problem with the defense is that it isn't getting better and the same mistakes are happening over and over again. Our announcers do a nice job, and as the home team guys they are on the gentle side when it comes to critiquing players, but when they are saying the same thing week after week, and it isn't getting addressed then it makes you wonder what is going on.

Lots of guys, which I like, are getting in the mix on offense. I know you what continuity on defense, and I don't know if it is the scheme or the personnel, but it isn't getting it done on defense.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

13 hours ago, PrisonMike said:

I took a few notes on the replay.

- as far as the transition of the face off. I understand one of the knocks on Altamari in the past was his fitness and ability to take multiple face offs without wearing down. On just about every transition take a look at where the wings were. They were on the offensive side of midfield which totally opened up the fast break opportunities. Especially look at the play of the LSM's on the face offs. There were often out of position and not in a position to impact Harvard's transition opportunities.

- McComber. No idea but did see Swingruber on the field and Eccles who hadn't played any until the last two games. The bigger mystery to me is Ramierez. He is the one middle who can consistently beat his man on a dodge and get the defense rotating. I don't think he got on the field yesterday. Like HOF, I like seeing more bodies in the midfield as they are productive. It looks like Burgmaster is still not 100% and hopefully he continues to heal, because he does have a cannon for an outside shot.

Diamond and Yunker - I like to see Diamond still getting some time. Yunker finally changed levels in front of the cage and Davis needs to start finishing his opportunities, but I like seeing him in the mix.

Schwab - I don't think he played yesterday. I saw someone on crutches on the sideline and don't know if that was him or not. I wasn't able to stay for the tailgate so didn't get a chance to socialize after the game.

The offense is starting to get its act together. After a bit of a shaky start, Patterson really started to play great and you could see him moving better and better as the game went along and he was able to do a couple of really nice finalizers behind the cage to shake free and get the Harvard defense spinning. This could be the most well balanced offense Albany has ever had. No Thomson or Fields, but the combination of Tehoka, Patterson, Yunker, Hogg, John, Casey, and one other threat can be a very potent offensive group. I think the missing part is a middle who can effectively dodge the alley. I still think we are very vulnerable to a zone defense.

Goalie play - I never have a problem with a coach pulling a player, especially a goalie for a mental health check, but the stat line and the reality yesterday were not the same. I know more about what is going on with the other side of the field, but if you pull the goalie and if nothing is getting addressed with the close defense and LSM play then something is horribly wrong.

Fortunately we didn't have to play a ton of 6 v 6 defense, and when we did because of a great 10 man ride, Harvard rarely had a lot of time to run their offense. I think the biggest improvement and kudos to someone, was in the play of the defensive middie play. It wasn't an immediate beat on the alley dodge. That was a massive improvement. I think Kozar is playing lights out for the most part. It looks like Kunz is playing the role of the defender in the crease who has to cover up mistakes, and be the QB of sorts of the defense. From what I understand from how they try to play, that is a very tough position to play and will often times make it look like he is out of position. It is pretty clear after three games that Kozar is going to lock up on their number one offensive player. Like you I don't understand what is going on with the third defensive position. Hay just doesn't seem to play defense, and I still haven't seen anyone say if you try to get in front of my goalie I am going to put you on your rear end. 

Filipowski seems to still be playing with a knee brace so maybe that is why he isn't getting a shot, but if that is the case, and mobility is an issue, then why would the roll him out on the man down unit when you need to be moving and rotating?