UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Semi OT: Marquette

18 hours ago, Dane Pound said:

Just fired Head Coach Steve Wojciechowski

Perhaps Coach Wojciechowski was upfront with Coach Killings...about their future at Marquette....when a high touted recruiting class does not pan out... in the world big time sports...associate & assistant coaches head coaches have their resume current....sample letters of interest ready to go...Marquette ....one time NCAA national champ .... the dream never dies

My son lives in Milwaukee and the firing of Wojceichowski while maybe not official was know over a week ago. When I told my son we were getting an assistant coach from Marquette, he immediately said is UA getting Judson Woj's buddy from Duke. When I said it was Killings, he was not familiar with the name. But for whatever its worth, Killings absolutely knew before he accepted the UA position that Woj was out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

But for whatever its worth, Killings absolutely knew before he accepted the UA position that Woj was out.

I have no doubt Killings knew and agree it was a smart move for him to get out while he still had leverage.

I guess I wonder if Albany knew Woj was out. Earlier this week the look was that Albany was getting a hot young assistant from Marquette. Later this week would have been a different look - that we're getting an assistant coach from a staff that was fired.

Killings is the same guy either way and is now the Albany coach. Only the optics changed.

BTW. The difference between angry fans at one bid conferences and big time conferences like Marquette. Angry fans at one bid conferences write mad tweets or blog posts. Marquette fans have three separate blogs and all three blog writers got together to write a manifesto on why Woj should go - http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2021/03/why-is-steve-wojciechowski-still.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Killings is the same guy either way and is now the Albany coach. Only the optics changed." 

Great comment.... Benson is definitely attempting to control the message  see link to current UAlbany posting https://ualbanysports.com/news/2021/3/19/Bringing-A-New-Mentality.aspx

Likely the marketing approach for existing and new season ticket holders....

So....let me get this straight...Benson basically hired a guy who was about to be fired and everything here is supposed to rainbows and unicorns??? With all due respect in my mind  there is more here than simple optics...Killings seems like a nice young man but his presentation at the presser was basically prototypical cookie cutter for a new coach....bottom line based on my discussions....the “New mentality” of many many season ticket holders and long term donors involves keeping money in thier pockets....Killings will likely be here no more than 2 years...Benson’s gotta go!!

There are at least three sides developing to this hire....as we move on from Thursday...we have learned of a significant event...does the firing of the Marquette head coach change our view of Coach Killings skill set... for some it does ...other it does not ... others may do what I am doing and hitting the pause button .... evaluate his performance between now and the beginning of next season (what does the schedule look like-the roster of players) ....oh yes.....after not seeing the Great Danes playing live this season...Can I make a difference keeping my wallet in my back pocket and stay happy not seeing live basketball?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bob87 said:

Nothing changed to me with the events at Marquette. The hire will be judged based on the record during the season. That is presuming nothing deteriorates with the off the court reputation. 

Agree with this.

I suspect Woj getting ousted at Marquette it might take the shine off the hire but but I doubt many people pay that close attention.

The transition from assistant to head coach can be tough. If you look at Brett Nelson who was the associate Head Coach at Marquette under Woj before Killings. He had a reputation as an ace recruiter and and X and O guy when he got his first head coaching job at Holy Cross. He's gone 8-40 so far at HC. Hopefully we've done better. 

• Thanks 1