UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game 14 @New Hampshire

26 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

If you want to see how important transfers are, close your eyes and picture this team without Dre Perry who transferred from Temple. It's probably not a pretty picture.

That’s not the point. Of course he’s a big part of this years team as everyone left. I’m saying the new transfer rule doesn’t make it automatic that this team should win 25 games next year. This board has truly become ridiculous.

Edited by UA'08

8 hours ago, UA'08 said:

That’s not the point. Of course he’s a big part of this years team as everyone left. I’m saying the new transfer rule doesn’t make it automatic that this team should win 25 games next year. This board has truly become ridiculous.

NOBODY IS SAYING THE ABOVE. NOBODY!!!!!

The above post is what's wrong with the US today. People take away from a post,  speech. Ect, what they want to hear. If they don't agree with it then it's ridiculous.  No it's a different point of view. This is a great example of why we are so divided today. 

What I am saying is that I believe Killings can take advantage of the new rules and it can really work to our advantage. KILLINGS CAN BE OUR ADVANTAGE. And I expect him to be.   Back before the new year it could take longer to get better. That is no longer the case. I'm sorry you don't agree. I understand your point but I don't agree, but I don't think it's ridiculous. It's just different. 

Edited by UA1882

19 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Call me when the staff learns how to coach. 

Honest to god, they have not figured out how to coach yet.  It's still one-one basketball.  Collection of guys, no real game plan that I can see...and I am NOT an armchair guy.  Played the game, coached the game, understand the game.  I literally see no sets fun to completion and pure slow reactionary play. 

This was a 100 percent accurate statement at the time. 

Throughout the nonconference we would switch on the high ball screen. Both Binghamton and New Hampshire (in the first half) knew this. They would set the high ball screen to create severe mismatches and really open shots. It took us wayyyy to long to change this. But the good news is that they did in the 2nd half. They started to only switch on the guards and either fight through the screens or hedge them. I'm sure you saw that as well. It took them to long to figure that out but at least they did. Team played much better defense in the 2nd half. 

Offensively the team is poor. But get better players in there and they should be fine.  

Edited by UA1882
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Clickclack said:

But it is funny, the same people who sat through losing season after losing season start to turn on a coach who's half a season into his first season.  I'm not one of those people...Killings will be fine. He will bring in more talent starting next season and then we'll see.

I am in NO way giving-up on Killings. I also think he will be fine and IS a very good recruiter. He has never been a head coach anywhere and of course there is a learning curve. Besides being a good recruiter; he seems to have done a good job motivating the kids and getting them to play heard. I also have never been a head coach (CYO once); but IMHO his X's and O's, game prep and game time decisions still need a lot of work. 

I really do not know if Killings or the players were at fault for a very poor last minute of play. IMHO UA gave that game away by two terrible sequences in the last 43 seconds. The team also shot terrible all game and played terrible defense in the first half and were probably LUCKY even to be in a position to win in the last minute. Just saying, give Killings credit for the second half comeback, but he also may have to take some of the blame for the failure to finish.

Edited by dslyank

1 hour ago, UA1882 said:

NOBODY IS SAYING THE ABOVE. NOBODY!!!!!

The above post is what's wrong with the US today. People take away from a post,  speech. Ect, what they want to hear. If they don't agree with it then it's ridiculous.  No it's a different point of view. This is a great example of why we are so divided today. 

What I am saying is that I believe Killings can take advantage of the new rules and it can really work to our advantage. KILLINGS CAN BE OUR ADVANTAGE. And I expect him to be.   Back before the new year it could take longer to get better. That is no longer the case. I'm sorry you don't agree. I understand your point but I don't agree, but I don't think it's ridiculous. It's just different. 

The response was to you telling me I don’t know the new transfer rule and the earlier comment regarding next year being no excuses. We can have different opinions that’s how a message board works. We don’t have to agree.

In the end we want the same thing W’s, but some are ready to put the new coaching staff after 14 games on the hot seat.

I don’t chime in often, but let me make three points:

1. If you want to criticize Killings regarding coaching, you are within your rights. But keep in mind that this is his first head coaching job, he is learning on the fly, and will learn from his mistakes. You have to have patience.

2. With respect to the makeup of this team, keep in mind that based on the timing when he was hired, Coach K was at a severe disadvantage in signing players. That said, what he brought in under those circumstances seems to be doing ok. The players he signs that will enroll for the 2022-23 year will be his first real recruiting class.

3. While most of us hate the transfer portal, until something changes, it is now a very regular part of doing business in Division I sports. (In fact, at the big time football level, schools are hiring transfer portal recruiters.) Thus, a transfer joining a program is no longer a rarity or a big deal. And considering the fact that basketball only requires five players on the court, a team can be quickly destroyed by the portal (as the Danes previously experienced) or alternatively can be significantly uplifted. Players who get recruited for big-time programs and get very little playing time will be on the move  - sometimes to lesser programs where they can play all the time. There will still be players who stay at one school for four years, but the percentage of those who will not has greatly escalated. Whether we like it or not, we (and the coaching staff and the university) have to embrace that new reality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2