UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany MLAX Game 5 at University of Maryland, College Park, MD Saturday MAR 12, 2022

9 minutes ago, Laxdawg20 said:

Benson is not hurting the lax program at all. It’s not like they do not have administrative support & they don’t need help in getting admissions in on potential players, it’s a state school not Notre Dame. I still like having the very tough schedule have to give the recruits the visibility of playing programs like Maryland, etc. they always  have offensive players never an issue but they have to build up the D and have a legit D coordinator, not an offensive middle running it. The D has been brutal to watch to start this season. 

Well said. It's long past time to find the best defensive coordinator/recruiter possible and if it is an alum great, but time to expand who is on the staff.

Not to pile on too much, but a quote from Coach Marr

“I think we certainly have to regroup,” Marr said. “I told the boys after the game we all have to look in the mirror, including myself, and figure out what we’re going to do and how we’re going to approach next week with spring break. We’ve done a lot of different things since the spring, changed our system two or three times … We have to go back to the drawing board a little bit.”

15 hours ago, Laxdawg20 said:

Benson is not hurting the lax program at all. It’s not like they do not have administrative support & they don’t need help in getting admissions in on potential players, it’s a state school not Notre Dame. I still like having the very tough schedule have to give the recruits the visibility of playing programs like Maryland, etc. they always  have offensive players never an issue but they have to build up the D and have a legit D coordinator, not an offensive middle running it. The D has been brutal to watch to start this season. 

Agree MOSTLY; but DO feel Benson needs to take some responsibility. All UA sports men & women have gone downhill since his tenure. Some more so than others. Even track & field which UA has been un-challenged in the AmEast for years, only came in second in the winter season (mens). And outdoors for both men & women the margin of victory has shrunk of late. But not to be labor the point, but just to name a couple Benson lacrosse related snubs: he refused to allow Scott to use Casey stadium for a fall ball tournament. Scott brought in major teams Hopkins, Army & I think Vermont and they had to play in the MUD next to Casey. Two, he supports an indoor facility with only an 80 yard facility. {ps UA has NOT been invited back to this major annual fall ball fund raiser either as a host or not since the MUD bowl.} What does both of these Benson screw-ups say to incoming recruits?? Also, take note this was the fall after UA's final four appearance and coincided with the Lacrosse teams four year slide. Related YOU decide? IMHO Benson has NOT been a friend of UA lacrosse; but I blame him for everything so I don't blame you if you disagree.

Edited by dslyank

21 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

This year and maybe next will be the final years we see the fallout from the 5ht years and transfer super teams which is what Maryland is right now. 

9 of the  11 goals scored by Maryland in the first quarter were by Seniors, 5th year Seniors or Grad Students.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, statefan said:

9 of the  11 goals scored by Maryland in the first quarter were by Seniors, 5th year Seniors or Grad Students.

I know I sound like a broken record and maybe too optimistic. But I really like our freshman & sophomore attack & middies. If UA can bring in some defensive HELP, and with the Senior, 5th years & Grads Effects winding down, maybe next year UA will be Elite competitive again??

14 minutes ago, dslyank said:

I know I sound like a broken record and maybe too optimistic. But I really like our freshman & sophomore attack & middies. If UA can bring in some defensive HELP, and with the Senior, 5th years & Grads Effects winding down, maybe next year UA will be Elite competitive again??

Sometimes, "D", you need to remind posters of your belief ... further, your faith in the coach staff .... as I have said we have been here before .... remember 2011...overall 5-10 and conference 0-5 ... UAlbany will return to greatness.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dslyank said:

D - you are getting your wish 😀 Coach just said going back to the two way middie system this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So Marr originally said not doing 2 way mids b/c did not have the athletes to do so now your going back to it? Does that make sense to anyone ? If the freshman middies are struggling substituting & figuring it out coach ‘em up so you can have best O guys on & best D guys on. Did they magically get better in a 24-6 loss really struggling to grasp this decision.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Laxdawg20 said:

So Marr originally said not doing 2 way mids b/c did not have the athletes to do so now your going back to it? Does that make sense to anyone ? If the freshman middies are struggling substituting & figuring it out coach ‘em up so you can have best O guys on & best D guys on. Did they magically get better in a 24-6 loss really struggling to grasp this decision.

After Saturday's disaster and with 5 days to prepare, playing a team, Binghamton, that has had an up and down season with a win against Hofstra .... does the change makes sense perhaps not however; not changing anything is worse.  We will have our answer on Saturday.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Laxdawg20 said:

So Marr originally said not doing 2 way mids b/c did not have the athletes to do so now your going back to it? Does that make sense to anyone ?

What does not make sense to me is:  scrapping 2 way middies was done just before the first game. Through 2 fall ball games and one spring game the offense was jelling @ over 16 goals per game. At Brown the offense tanked in the second half. So 3 ½ preparation games of quality offense squashed to help a terrible defense. If that was the only way to help the D and {IMHO it has NOT helped;} then it should have been done A LOT sooner [2018 has noted on several occasions, you do not make a change of that magnitude right before your first game.]

So IMHO it makes perfect sense to abandon the experiment, which even if not ill-conceived was initiated with no-where near enough time to implement and has proven in-effective. Like always, I do not profess to be an expert and welcome your opinion, but I have to say, IMHO it makes perfect sense to go back to two way middies, get the offense back on track, and try and help the defense in some other way. If the D cannot be straightened out, a least get in a shoot out and just try to out score as many teams as you can.

Edited by dslyank
  • Thanks 1