UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: 11/2/22: Exhibition Game 2 at St. Rose - 7:00pm

I have watched now "3" games.  I want too say a lot but I'll wait until the season starts . I will say this.  If Ketner or Little play more then 3 mins a game we are in serious trouble.  If the injured players don't average double digits each we are in serious trouble 

I won't judge a team at all by exhibitions.  However, some things that don't need a whole season or D1 play to spot:

1. Ketner has lost baby fat and bulked up.  He has a chance to be a really solid, 15 min a game guy for us over the years.

2. Davis needs to understand that even though he has elite speed, he cannot take on whole teams like he could in D3.  It leaves us behind the play with no ability to secure an offensive rebound.

3. Marcus Jackson- over time, he has the potential to be a 2nd or 3rd team All-AE player if he continues to work at his craft.  He has a bit of the it factor, even if he's "raw".

4. Beagle is fit, has a good build, and will be a star.  However, it takes bigs some time to adjust and you can see it with his defensive footwork.  He will be fine...but he will have growing pains.

5. Little and Reddish need to keep watching film...they have oodles of natural talent but they still haven't made that jump that I know they can make.  Just understanding the floor and spacing a bit more.

6.  We have no consistent outside threat.

7. We will be VERY undersized down low...but have the potential to be tall at the guard spot.  We need to team rebound and I would advocate for practice time SOLELY devoted to rebounding drills (put the cap on the hoop with the nubs...create wild rebounds).  We rebound terribly as a team.

8. This will be a long year...I think our spot in the predictions is pretty spot on.  We have oodles of talent but we lack three important D1 factors right now:  consistent outside shooting, rebounding, and team basketball IQ.  Honestly, our overall "basketball IQ" is pretty poor.  I really hope one of the new assistants is really strong on strategy and teaching.  IQ is either something a player has or something they are taught by tons of video practice and good coaching. 

7 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

I have watched now "3" games.  I want too say a lot but I'll wait until the season starts . I will say this.  If Ketner or Little play more then 3 mins a game we are in serious trouble.  If the injured players don't average double digits each we are in serious trouble 

Disagree wholly on Ketner.  Little completely agree.  As a pure body man, Ketner giving 10 min a game this year burning fouls, bodying guys and getting us 3 points and 3 boards will be fine.  I actually think he has solid upside as an 8th man. 

That said, so far I haven't seen much change from last year and this is a sub .500 AE team.  Bryant and Vermont will boat race this team out of the building.  

Edited by Dane96

7 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Disagree wholly on Ketner.  Little completely agree.  As a pure body man, Ketner giving 10 min a game this year burning fouls, bodying guys and getting us 3 points and 3 boards will be fine.  I actually think he has solid upside as an 8th man. 

That said, so far I haven't seen much change from last year and this is a sub .500 AE team.  Bryant and Vermont will boat race this team out of the building.  

Ketner is constantly out of position defensively.  Uses his body incorrectly and pushes off with his forearm every play.  Offensive he has no mid game. Does not hit free throws.  Constantly out of position on the block.  Need to learn of SLIDE his feet onto the block. (Creates terrible angles for the incoming pass) Again I truly hope I'm wrong but I know basketball and football . He has a ton and I mean a ton of work to do.  

Edited by UA1882

Ketner- 5 min.  1 board, 1 point, 2 blocks. 

Agree with you on positioning however, that can be taught.  Not a big deal.  Offensively, same thing however from whatever we want to call this offensive strategy...it can be taught to him.  He can have a 10 foot game. 

That said, you touch on a bigger problem. I do not see nor have any of us who understand basketball witnessed in the DK era, any sort of cohesive offensive strategy.  It's a freaking free for all and not even organized chaos.

So with Ketner, I think he has a good, albeit undersized body that will be a good AE body...and he needs some coaching but he can be a solid role guy.  This is where a guy like the late Pat Filien would have worked wonders.  

Disappointing to see two Danes in a negative EFF.  No shock that it is Little and Reddish.  Little is so bad on defense.  He just consistently overplays his man.  Offensively, his shot is flat as flat gets. 

Also not shocking, Hutcheson leads the team in EFF.  That's also not a great thing as much as I love Hutch.   He just outworks everyone.12 pts 7rb 4blk and 2 stls in 21 min. 

Edited by Dane96

Team playing better in 2nd half.  

Davis really talented but again, he pushes the ball into 3 guys constantly.  Works against D2 guys.  D1 guys will eat that up.

Ketner...showing bits of the negative about him that 1882 correctly points out.

Any news on why Amica not playing?