UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

WBB - Game 24/Conference Game 11 - @NJIT Highlanders Joel & Diane Bloom Wellness and Events Center, Newark, NJ, Thursday, February 15, 2024, 7:00 PM

Hope the ladies bring the right amount of energy on Thursday. We don’t want any disasters before the big one at Vermont on 2/22. Would like to be 11-1 by then. Vermont will play Maine on 2/17, so it’s possible that Vt. will have 3 in the all-important loss column before we play them. Of course we finish AE play at Maine. These last 6 games will be exciting.

• Like 1

The caption on the MBB article ("Ready for the 2nd Half") was an error, the caption meant for the WBB article:

UALBANY WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Danes’ shooting, ‘D’ are top-notch

By Pete Dougherty

UALBANY AT NJIT

When: 7 p.m. Thursday

Where: Wellness and Events Center, Newark, N.J.

TV: ESPN+ (streaming)

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2024%2F02%2F15&id=Pc0170800&ext=.jpg&ts=20240215073941
Jim Franco/Times Union archive

UAlbany’s Meghan Huerter, who has an arm injury, is second in the country in 3-point shooting percentage. The Danes lead the league in overall shooting.

ALBANY — During a one-week break in its game schedule, the University at Albany women’s basketball team spent some time at No. 1.

It wasn’t in the national rankings, but for a day or two the Great Danes were tops in Division I in scoring defense (51.5) and 3-point shooting percentage (.402). While idle, UAlbany has slipped to No. 2 in defense to Virginia Commonwealth and fourth in 3-point accuracy.

Those have proven to be two important statistical categories for the Great Danes (20-3, 9-1 America East), who resume league play Thursday night at New Jersey Institute of Technology.

Defense has been a staple of UAlbany teams since coach Colleen Mullen took over six years ago. The Danes have been in the top four in the America East in scoring defense in each of those years, never allowing more than 60 points per game in a season.

“That’s definitely something that has been a goal and an emphasis every year,” graduate forward Helene Haegerstrand said. “Even when I came in 2019, that was coach’s first emphasis — we play defense. That’s something that has grown over the years.”

Part of that is pace. UAlbany ranks fourth from the bottom nationally with 63.5 possessions per 40 minutes, according to WarrenNolan.com. That’s typical of defensive-minded teams.

That’s what makes the Danes’ ranking in an offensive category all the more remarkable. Junior Meghan Huerter, currently sidelined with an upper arm injury, spearheads the 3-point parade, hitting 51 of her 104 attempts for a .490 percentage that ranks second nationally.

Teammate Lilly Phillips has made 40 of 92 (.435) but doesn’t have enough makes to qualify for the national leaderboard. Haegerstrand has connected on 30 of her 89 attempts (.337).

“The 3-point percentage, that’s a little bit new,” Mullen said. “We have sharpshooters and Meghan, but Helene hasn’t even been shooting as well as she has in her career in the past (.374 before this season).

“The thing that is the most telling is that we don’t take that many threes (16 per game, sixth in the conference). It’s not like we’re making 18 threes and shooting 30 or 35. We’re like 6-for-11, 5-for-12. We’re shooting good-percentage shots within our offense.”

UAlbany also leads the America East in overall shooting percentage at .446, another valuable trait for a team that still thinks about defense first.

“We shoot a lot in practice, much more than my first two years,” Mullen said. “I wish I knew then what I know now. You’ve got to put the ball in the basket, right? You should probably practice shooting. We’d have guard and post shooting, and I’d be eliminating that from the practice to work on our defense. Now we shoot volume shooting, every day, 20 to 30 minutes. … When you devote that type of shooting in practice, it’s not surprising that we’re shooting a good percentage.”

40 minutes ago, jimbo said:

Ugly is right. There was a lid on for FTs.  Shouldn’t have been this close. But they pulled it out. Did anyone have “Ladies win by 2 and men win by 25” tonight? 

Not I, cannot image the betting odds for tonight's games however this is the America East.

Last night's WBB results:

Thursday, February 15, 2024 Women's BasketballAwayHomeResultLocationLinks

BryantBryant57
MaineMaine80

Final

Orono, ME (Conf.)Box Score Full Game Archive

Final

Durham, NH (Conf.)Box Score Live Event

NJITNJIT36

Final

Newark, NJ (Conf.)Box Score

UMBCUMBC44