UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

vs. Mount Saint Mary's

MRSGDG

Now that the optimism is building...I'll put it out there, I think we can beat Xavier. I'm not necessarily saying we will (that's why they play the games), but we CAN.

It'll be tough on the road (last I checked X's home win streak was at 28 games), but our little three creates a match up problem for a majority of teams we play. If Puk and/or Blake step-up it up I see no reason why this can't be a competitive game. With the exception of their 7 footer (who's numbers are pretty underwhelming) we actually have a size advantage. I think we've got plenty of depth and interchangeability of our bigs, that even though I doubt CB will go this route, we could go for an all our hack D in zone and make their bigs beat us at the line. They apparently can't shoot the 3 (27%) so if our guards can keep their guys in front of them should we go to man we should be alright.

Realtime RPI predicts a 10-point X win and gives us a 28% chance of winning. Pomeroy says 17 points, 5% chance. Sagarin Predictor says 13 points. Given our improvement when Black came back, I'd agree we have a better shot than a lot of people think.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

XU has potential to be a very good team, but we are in PERFECT trap game position. After Gonzaga and Xmas and two days before Florida comes into their house, they are going to be looking ahead to that monster home game. It would take big three all draining from deep plus a 4th option to step up (like Devlin vs. Detroit) but you never know, I guess..

Great to see the team bouncing back from the debacle that was last year. All the CB haters have gone away, and we are suddenly looking like a top half of the conference (minimum) team. I can't wait for conference play to start!!

As possibly one of the CB "haters" I haven't gone away. I will give him his due. Team is playing great. That said he's doing a lot of what many of us have begged for.

1. Opened it up and let them run.

2. Live w/ Tim's mistakes. Yes, he is still making them. He is just staying on the floor and doing what he does. Score, RB, assist, steals, and TO's. Let's not forget how many people wanted Tim to come off the bench, including one Coach Brown.

3. Outscore the other team. It's not always about defense. Yes you need to play D. But the focus doesn't always have to be on D. Sometimes (humor intended) you win by scoring more than the other guy.

4. Entertain me. Ties to #1, #2, #3, and #5.

5. Win.

So to this point a hearty well done Coach Brown as well as the team.

Let's not overlook a winless team coming up on Wednesday, on the road.

I'd guess you were being facetious, click, if you didn't tag the "on the road" part. This team is bad. One of the worst teams in the country. They've only had one offensive game over 1 points per possession (an average offensive game) once, against #323 (kenpom #'s) St Francis PA. This is much of a cupcake as an AE team can play. It'd be an enormous disappointment if we didn't handle this team relatively easily.

I agree we are not in the position to take lightly, but if we really have made a permanent step in the right direction, this game should be a lock.

Edit: Looking at some solid freshman on their team, convinced I may have jinxed us.

1. Opened it up and let them run.

2. Live w/ Tim's mistakes. Yes, he is still making them. He is just staying on the floor and doing what he does. Score, RB, assist, steals, and TO's. Let's not forget how many people wanted Tim to come off the bench, including one Coach Brown.

I think it's easier to live with Tim's mistakes this year. Last year and somewhat the year before I thought we had several players on the court at the same time making the same types of mistakes which made things painful. This year he's playing with better players, not necessarily better athletes, but better basketball players. Having some other scoring options takes the pressure off.

For the first time since he's been at UA Tim is playing with a good PG and that helps him and everyone else. Also leads to your #1 point.

Kind of funny Doc, when I read your trap post I thought you were talking about our game at Colgate instead of Xavier. Hopefully we can focus on Wednesday and keep things rolling.

Attendance didn't drop over night and it will take W's to pick back up. We were on a gradual decline, I suspect the opposite will continue to happen if we continue winning.

Saturday's attendance was 1700 with no students on campus, would have been close to 2k if not over if they were there. I suspect it will continue climbing.

If we're in, or are competing for, first place in the conference by the time the students get back in January, I would expect attendance and community/student interest to bolt upward.

Archived