UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Update on Coach Brown's website

Someone evidently isn't coming back, could it be Reid who has been out both seasons he's been here(?), or could it be Billy Allen's back(?) or maybe it could be Rob Moores, he hasn't gotten too much run and he could do it because he still has 2 years eligibility left.

Or as they say in some pro trades - could it be a player to be named later?

Or is it an underslassmen (this yrs JR class)?

????????????????????????????????

I won't drive myself nuts with this one.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone evidently isn't coming back, could it be Reid who has been out both seasons he's been here(?), or could it be Billy Allen's back(?) or maybe it could be Rob Moores, he hasn't gotten too much run and he could do it because he still has 2 years eligibility left.

Gifford? Turley? Moores? Anderson? Josh? Tim? Hastings? Def not Connelly or Jimmie.

I have heard some whispers Turley is homesick for Texas.

I would assume that it isn't Hastings as well simply because he was a JuCo transfer and if I'm correct, next year would be his senior year.

And I would think it's safe to say that Gifford would stay because he is young and has been here for what will be 2 years and after next year, the job would be his to fight for with Turley and seemingly the only 2 competing for the spot. I would guess it might be Anderson or Moore, from a logical standpoint. Anderson hasn't either been utilized or developed (yes I know he's been injured) to what we may have assumed he was capable of. It doesn't look as though he would get an increase in burn, simply because we will be loaded next year. The same goes for Moores, whom we heard great things about. With Timmy set to be our offensive machine and go to guy, I would assume he wouldn't be leaving and it looks as though Martin would be our PG of the future. SPeaking of Timmy, it seems like he didn't get much PT yesterday. Any indications as to why?

Also, how do you think Coach Brown might utilize Martin/AMbrose/Raffa? I know Raffa is more offensive minded, but is he capable of playing the 2? Is he big enough to? or would Ambrose play the 2 possibly? I know he is strong enough and has the hops to compete with someone inches taller...

Gifford? Turley? Moores? Anderson? Josh? Tim? Hastings? Def not Connelly or Jimmie.

I tend to always, FWIW look at the kids not getting any playing time. If someone does leave I hope it's on their own volition, desire to be closer to home or family, get more playing time etc. I'd hate a replay of the CR thing where it was clouded in secrecy. I guess time will tell, but I hate high turnover. Last year, 3 players did not return, this year it appears at least one is destined to leave the team. Continuity and roster stability IMO are two very important factors. As players graduated, you would ideally like for the younger players to fill those shoes. Players who are comfortable in the system and know what the coaches want/need out of them. PERSONALLY, I'm a little leery of a 5+ player recruiting class every year, so I'm hoping it doesn't become a staple.

I want to be clear, I'm not implicating the coaching staff or the program in anything inappropriate. I'm simply a person who likes stability, I don't like huge swings or changes thus I'm slightly uncomfortable if more players leave prematurely. I recognize that at times there are legitimate reasons, health, family etc. I'm not talking about those types of things. Obviously the University, the program, players or the coaching staff aren't here to cater to my every whim and need. I'm just sharing my POV!

This is always tough to figure out..so many factors at play.

My quick thoughts (though I hope NONE are true)..

Anderson - 3 yrs of eligibility after the red shirt this year?..though with a sit out transfer year, assuming he goes DI, that means 6 yrs in college?

Moores? - 2yrs left

Gifford? - 2 yrs left..maybe was thinking more playing time?..though it's tough playing so many SMALL AE teams

Allen? - all 4 years still..heard some homesickness early on, though what frosh doesn't to some extent?

Turley? - I hope not..didn't hear anything about homesickness..I know he voluntarily stayed in Albany towards the end of the summer when everyone else headed home, just to stay fit and healthy and eat right..plus, IIRC, his family doesn't live where he went to HS anymore

Hold on a second, guys. Just because Coach Brown is in DC recruiting today, does that necessarily mean that one of the current players (beyond the graduating seniors) is necessarily gone next year? If so, okay, but I just want to be clear that that is the conclusion that I'm reading in the foregoing posts.

Are there other possible and reasonable conclusions that we could draw from his DC trip that don't involve a current player leaving after this season?

Just,

I don't know this for certain but I think Timmy's time was limited yesterday because Jon was firing on all cylinders. No way do you take Jon out last night when he was knocking shots down from all over the place.

As far as Anthony.....I've done a substantial amount of reading on him not to mention video clips and he appears to be more of an off guard then a true PG. He is offensive minded and a pest on D but he is shoot first/ask questions later type of player, thats not to say he won't pass or that he's selfish he simply plays at 100mph ALL the time and sometimes when he's rolling there's no time to setup the offense. He will have to adjust once he gets here because this isn't HS ball any more..... he will have to run the point at times but IMO the PG position is Josh's next year and out. Ambrose is most certainly a 2, I don't see him playing the PG position ever. I think you'll see Anthony there before you see Timmy.

He said in his blog that he's still recruiting for next season.

Incoming:

Lindfors

Raffa

Arnholdt

Outgoing:

Lillis

Wilson

Iati

Bringing in one more (usually) means there's gotta be someone else leaving/not coming in right away. Though there's the possibility that a player's college costs are covered by FA/EOP and not an athletic scholarship?

Bosiydid,

I don't see Timmy ever playing the 1 either. That is obviously Josh's job. But how do you think Martin/Ambrose/Raffa can be on the court at the same time. I'm trying to figure out some combination, but it seems as though one of them is going to be the odd man out. Just not possible.

What do you guys think? I'm assuming one of them would become the 6th man.

Bosiydid,

I don't see Timmy ever playing the 1 either. That is obviously Josh's job. But how do you think Martin/Ambrose/Raffa can be on the court at the same time. I'm trying to figure out some combination, but it seems as though one of them is going to be the odd man out. Just not possible.

What do you guys think? I'm assuming one of them would become the 6th man.

Just,

This year we had no choice but to play Josh and Timmy allot. Next year, I think we'll have the luxury to bring the new guys along a little slower and let them develop at their own pace. I'm not sure how having 3 guys on the floor who measure 6' (Timmy is obviously not 6') going to work on D. Thats a fairly small lineup 1-3. I think you'll see Logan quite a bit at the 2-3 next year and Raffa at the 1-2 spots but I don't know how you have all 3 out there (Anthony, Timmy and Josh). IMO, there's a very very very good chance that Anthony will start the year coming off the bench. If the team is struggling then you might see coach Brown doing what he did this year in shuffling the starting lineup.

bosiydid - your substantial research is great, but.......

As far as Anthony.....I've done a substantial amount of reading on him not to mention video clips and he appears to be more of an off guard then a true PG. He is offensive minded and a pest on D but he is shoot first/ask questions later type of player, thats not to say he won't pass or that he's selfish he simply plays at 100mph ALL the time and sometimes when he's rolling there's no time to setup the offense. He will have to adjust once he gets here because this isn't HS ball any more..... he will have to run the point at times but IMO the PG position is Josh's next year and out. - bosiydid

I saw him live in action once (totally by coincidence - I went to a tourney and Winchedon was playing) this season against a top rated prep school he wasn't going at 100mph, in fact I was surprised ( because of all I read on this site) he was so much under control. He also gave up the ball often and willing. The game I saw he played PG the entire time.

Again this was only one game but it was a live observation against a nationall top rated Prep School (Patterson) whose team had 6 or 7 DI players going to places like Arkansas and Memphis and he seemed undercontrol (to me)in half court sets but it was evident that he does thrive on the break.

All in all he had a solid game and rarely forced the issue.

ps - he plays with the same reckless abandon that Lillis plays with, 1 time he dove & went under the press table another time he went over the scorers table into the stands.

bosiydid - your substantial research is great, but.......
As far as Anthony.....I've done a substantial amount of reading on him not to mention video clips and he appears to be more of an off guard then a true PG. He is offensive minded and a pest on D but he is shoot first/ask questions later type of player, thats not to say he won't pass or that he's selfish he simply plays at 100mph ALL the time and sometimes when he's rolling there's no time to setup the offense. He will have to adjust once he gets here because this isn't HS ball any more..... he will have to run the point at times but IMO the PG position is Josh's next year and out. - bosiydid

I saw him live in action once (totally by coincidence - I went to a tourney and Winchedon was playing) this season against a top rated prep school he wasn't going at 100mph, in fact I was surprised ( because of all I read on this site) he was so much under control. He also gave up the ball often and willing. The game I saw he played PG the entire time.

Again this was only one game but it was a live observation against a nationall top rated Prep School (Patterson) whose team had 6 or 7 DI players going to places like Arkansas and Memphis and he seemed undercontrol (to me)in half court sets but it was evident that he does thrive on the break.

All in all he had a solid game and rarely forced the issue.

ps - he plays with the same reckless abandon that Lillis plays with, 1 time he dove & went under the press table another time he went over the scorers table into the stands.

Patch,

Thanks....obviously the things you pickup while watching a player for the duration of a game can be much more revealing then any video clip or news story on him. FWIW, courtesy of Tony (thanks Tony) hoopscoop has him rated as a 70th ranked 5th year player, equivalent to a top 300 player nationally.

Completely FALSE about Turley. And Allen, if homesick at all, is not going anywhere. In fact, it was his talk to Aronholt that probably closed the deal for us-- he basically said Aronholt shouldnt go to the boonies of Bowling Green and instead should come to Albany because how great the place was.

Completely FALSE about Turley. And Allen, if homesick at all, is not going anywhere. In fact, it was his talk to Aronholt that probably closed the deal for us-- he basically said Aronholt shouldnt go to the boonies of Bowling Green and instead should come to Albany because how great the place was.

Then I'm thinking Moores. He's in a Michael Knight-type situation and still has two years left. To a lesser extent, Reid or the Giff may be ready to bolt, but my guess would be on Moores. Anyhow, we probably won't know until after the season. (Perhaps someone can do some Facebook research ala Mike Yocum!)

Peace out,

S€

This type of speculation makes me very uneasy. No one really knows anything at this point and it seems unfair to the players to have their names tossed about in this manner, especially if they have no intention of leaving. We don't even know if any are planning to leave at all.

Archived