UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

NY economy...

reeder

Wanted to get some feedback on the NYS economy and possible impact on the stadium and SUNY in general.

Looking from the outside, I would guess that the state of the financial industry would have a pretty big impact on NYS and ultimately getting us a stadium built.

I would guess that the industry pumps a lot of dollars in taxes into NYS, what impact will the challenges have on the NYS economy? I'm not close to the NYS economic situation, but I don't think it's too good to begin with...

Let's not get into the reasons why we need a stadium, I think that's been covered quite well.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the major problems with SUNY is that it's subject to the ebbs and flows of the overall NYS budget. IMO the current political and more importantly financial climate in the state is not conducive to us getting the funding needed to construct a stadium. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure how much NY will invest in capital spending at SUNY schools over the next couple of years. The best thing we can hope for is that the NYS economy picks up but we are almost half way through the budget year and the news keeps getting more dire by the day.

while i all think it depends on what other campuses are asking for, if it doesn't happen this year, it won't happen for another 5-10 years...to which then the athletic department needs to seriously consider just focusing university field and upgrading that with whatever they can get from the state or private donors.

I'd like to hear about other options as well... any and all would be appreciated.

Anyone know how the downtown convention center idea is progressing?

Doesn't the city have a couple of hundred million dollars in its pocket for the project?

Would it be nice if they decided to scrap the CC plan and they gave some of the money to the University for a stadium that can be used for the entire region !!!!!!!!

I'd like to hear about other options as well... any and all would be appreciated.

Doesn't the city have a couple of hundred million dollars in its pocket for the project?

Would it be nice if they decided to scrap the CC plan and they gave some of the money to the University for a stadium that can be used for the entire region !!!!!!!!

Based on what I've been reading the CC project is pretty much DEAD in the water. They've lost most of the staff and the Convention Center Authority is a shell of what it once was. The city is awaiting an updated feasibility study that If I'm not mistaken should be do very soon. They are seeking an additional 200mil from the state (if memory serves) and they have approximately $190 mill committed towards this project by the state.

It would be nice if they scrapped the idea and gave us the money but it's a pipe dream. They are cutting budgets all over the place so they are not gonna give us the money.

Convention center is in a sort of in-between stage. They have asked the state for something like $150+million more funding. One of the employees recently quit (TU article somewhere) indicating they didn't think they would get the funding.

The issue has to do with building a Sheraton hotel connected to the convention center. The original plan had the state building that (not really sure why the state would build a private hotel). Now they are apparently trying to get that built privately instead.

If the convention center doesnt go through I would hope it would be a boost for us, but who knows. That Jerry Jennings' baby and I'm not so sure they will be willing to just give up after all these years and all the money already spent. I think they should though because the convention center is a total waste of money.

As for the site plan, I have not seen it. There was a post some time ago indicating that facilities management newsletter said it would be released in September. They announced the hiring of Heery in April and said the study would take 4-6 months. Well its 6 months now.

As for alternative, I really think that upgrading University field would not be that difficult to do. The problem with it is it lacks the "wow" factor that could bring additional fans to a game. Upgrading University Field would need to be coupled with a serious marketing plan in the Capital Region to get people interested. Building a nice new fancy stadium would have that effect by word of mouth I think.

Convention center is in a sort of in-between stage. They have asked the state for something like $150+million more funding. One of the employees recently quit (TU article somewhere) indicating they didn't think they would get the funding.

The issue has to do with building a Sheraton hotel connected to the convention center. The original plan had the state building that (not really sure why the state would build a private hotel). Now they are apparently trying to get that built privately instead.

If the convention center doesnt go through I would hope it would be a boost for us, but who knows. That Jerry Jennings' baby and I'm not so sure they will be willing to just give up after all these years and all the money already spent. I think they should though because the convention center is a total waste of money.

As for the site plan, I have not seen it. There was a post some time ago indicating that facilities management newsletter said it would be released in September. They announced the hiring of Heery in April and said the study would take 4-6 months. Well its 6 months now.

As for alternative, I really think that upgrading University field would not be that difficult to do. The problem with it is it lacks the "wow" factor that could bring additional fans to a game. Upgrading University Field would need to be coupled with a serious marketing plan in the Capital Region to get people interested. Building a nice new fancy stadium would have that effect by word of mouth I think.

danefan,

I remember reading a story a while ago that quoted Mayor Jennings saying he is unsure if in this economic climate it makes any sense to build a CC. I don't think he'd put up as much a fight as one would think to keep that project going.

Danefan I don't think it's the purpose of the stadium facility to draw fans (maybe it will draw some initially).

Without a commitment from the State???????

The goal should be full scholarship football, a better on the field product . No knock on Fordie and what his teams have done. They have overachieved against great odds. Then, make significant upgrades to University Field so you can start start bringing in some name schools for home games and more fans will come and we'll have a much improved football environment.

Unless we go full schollie we could have a beautiful stadium laying almost dormant. In fact we probably would have to bag over 1/2 the stadium like $iena does at the TU.

Archived