UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2016

There are to many assumptions being made about Coach Brown and an extension. First, is only having 2 years really the reason no HS seniors have committed? I don't think so. Coach Brown could get a 5 year extension from Albany today and be gone after next season if the right offer came about. There are no guarantees even with an extension. Also, maybe Coach Brown sees Pikiell get a HC job in a major conference and, rightly so, thinks he should be in those discussions. Maybe adding a buyout if he leaves (which most contracts have) to a 5 year extension limits his options down the road. I'm playing devils advocate right now, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as some of you are implying.

We certainly have limited information on the situation. And a deal has to have agreement from both sides. But..looking at the landscape in general..how often does a successful coach that an institution (presumably?) wants to keep end up towards the end of a contract without an extension/new deal in place or at least being publicly talked about? Pretty rare situation. Athletic departments do all they can to keep coaches they want. We're just not seeing that right now..for some reason.

I think it's pretty straight-forward that these types of things impact recruiting. Sure..a student-athlete always knows a coach can leave for a higher gig or be let-go. But a contract is clear and easy to point to. We hear about the impact all the time. You simply need to look at how many student-athletes transfer when a coach departs to know how important the recruiting connection between player and coach is.

Personally, I think our Athletic Department has totally bungled this...and it starts from the top.

I've kept quiet long enough. Something needs to happen, and soon.

For a coach with Browns resume to be sent into next season with 2 years left on the contract is highly unusual and is ABSOLUTELY having a detrimental effect on recruiting.

This should never have come to this. I understand it's a negotiation and without knowing what types of demands are being made/communicated perhaps I should limit my speculation. It can't be money considering a first time coach on the woman's side just got a huge contract and she's proven nothing. NOTE: not attacking her, I wish her well and I always says get yours while you can but that's a pretty sizable commitment to an unknown/unproven individual. And here we have a guy who's hung 5 NCAA banners in the rafters...3 out of the last 4 and he's dangling.

If we had a beat reporter worth a damn, maybe he could ask Benson or Brown what on green earth is going on.

My personal belief is that the JUCO parade we are seeing is a direct result of him needing to win and win NOW! If he recruits a bunch of 4 years kids who aren't ready and he wins 11 games next year, he'd be going into the FINAL year of his contract because we all know he 'aint getting extended after a down season (which is possible).

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

I wrote this earlier, but didn't really get much of a response..

For those of you more aware of contract negotiations and how the process works, is there any reason why CB wouldn't push an extension? Higher buyout etc.? Or do coaches just focus on guarantees years and worry about the fallout of potentially leaving later?

I just can't see Benson letting him walk. I don't know how the big wig donors feel about WB and the basketball program, but I'm willing to bet they'd be up in arms if Benson let him walk. The only other thing I can see is Benson wanting to bring in his own regime to leave his mark on UA before he bounces.

I wrote this earlier, but didn't really get much of a response..

For those of you more aware of contract negotiations and how the process works, is there any reason why CB wouldn't push an extension? Higher buyout etc.? Or do coaches just focus on guarantees years and worry about the fallout of potentially leaving later?

No coaches at UA I'm told have a buyout. Not sure how accurate. I believe the school has always believed that the position that we are in, win and move up is a valuable way to attract top up and coming coaches.

Edited by Clickclack

I think he absolutely deserves a new extension.

I find it incredible how four years ago things took a complete 180 with UA hosting the conference tournament and Sam Rowley hitting a last second game winner in the quarterfinals, we may not even be talking about this.

Somebody said a ways back that MacElroy did not believe in buyouts. Isn't Greg Gattuso's contract the first one negotiated under Benson? According to what I see on line there is definitely

a buyout clause if the coach resigns and goes to another collegiate or professional team. It looks like the buyout is one year basic salary. So, that would likely be in the mix for a WB extension.

Very interesting stuff here: https://hkm.com/football/coach-contract-rankings/ (based on what Saban, Harbaugh and the like get, GG needs some more perks....LOL)

Somebody said a ways back that MacElroy did not believe in buyouts. Isn't Greg Gattuso's contract the first one negotiated under Benson? According to what I see on line there is definitely

a buyout clause if the coach resigns and goes to another collegiate or professional team. It looks like the buyout is one year basic salary. So, that would likely be in the mix for a WB extension.

Very interesting stuff here: https://hkm.com/football/coach-contract-rankings/ (based on what Saban, Harbaugh and the like get, GG needs some more perks....LOL)

Interesting...

I can't imagine why an AD would want to run a very successful coach out of town. Maybe they are negotiating and WB is not in a hurry. It has to hurt a bit to see Pikiell get the kind of bucks he was signed for. Maybe, just maybe WB is thinking 2017 will be a better year in terms of jobs available and he can leverage that into a better deal. I'm all for buyout clauses.

Edited by jimbo