UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[FB] Game #4: 9/22/18 - 7:00pm - vs St. Francis (PA)

Last Up: W (30-27) vs Morgan State
Next Up: vs St. Francis (PA) Red Flash (1-2...lost to Lehigh 21-19 and Richmond 35-27...beat Delaware State 45-14)
TV/Streaming: UAlbanySports
Local Radio: N/A

Morgan State is done for. Despite the win and the 30 points scored, UAlbany had a VERY bad showing IMO. We allowed Morgan State to get 422 yards of offense (we had 408). They gouged us for 229 yards rushing which is inexcusable. Testaverde threw 4 picks including 1 pick six and as a whole, the team threw 48 passes and only rushed 26 times which is also inexcusable. We should never be throwing that much. We had drive after drive of just pass after pass. It was literally 10 passes followed by a run followed by 10 more passes.

We had some big plays on special teams and defense (recovered fumbles, HUGE 51yd field goal, etc.) but aside from one or two big plays, we would have lost the game.

We must win this next game against SFU AND dominate them. If we have another tight game with this level of opponents, it's lights out on the season. If we can't beat teams like this, we will have no business beating teams in the CAA.

Using GG's 'system' (evidently we weren't using his the first two games) we threw the ball constantly, non-stop. Testaverde repeatedly over/under threw his receivers. ALL NIGHT LONG. While it is something I do in Madden, I do not recommend it in real life football. The team looked lost at points.

IF we have another game like this, and it being the 4th game of the year, there is no more excuses. He needs to be terminated...the sooner the better. I'm holding off on writing an email to Benson but if we have another game like this, that email WILL be sent. I'm not going to keep giving money to the school just so they can pay that bums salary.

The team needs to come out and absolutely OBLITERATE SFU before I will even remotely turn the heat down, from my personal fan point of view, on Gattuso's seat. That seat should be burning right now. We won because Morgan State couldn't close the deal.

Edited by Eli

AD Benson knows our concerns. He witnessed the game, he walked among the players.  Mark saw the disappointment in the stands. Problem: he knows that we are stuck with Greg for a couple more years.  Changing head coaches doesn't always work out.  Recruitment is the key however; recruitment is not likely to improve under the current situation, no easy answers.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

AD Benson knows our concerns. He witnessed the game, he walked among the players.  Mark saw the disappointment in the stands. Problem: he knows that we are stuck with Greg for a couple more years.  Changing head coaches doesn't always work out.  Recruitment is the key however; recruitment is not likely to improve under the current situation, no easy answers.

Yep... This problem especially on defense was spawned over the last 3 FAILED recruiting cycles. The defense is filled with borderline d1 kids. 

The NEC now allows 45 scholarships plus 18 need-based. St Fran went 70 yards in 4 minutes to take a 27-23 lead over Richmond with 1:12 left before losing. They have a RB who was knocking tacklers backward. Should still win but these aren’t your father’s Frankies.

• Like 1

When they played 2 years ago, I think St. Francis outplayed us for most of the game.  They had a really good running back that got hurt and left the game around halftime.  I think we were down most of the game and made a fourth quarter comeback to get the win.  

So we don’t want to underestimate them.

Edited by reeder
  • Like 1

Heard just some of Gattuso  on the radio today, praising Stark's punting and placekicking. Said VT had had a terrific week of practice, and Morgan St should've been vulnerable to the deep pass (single coverage with a big pass rush) but VT just had off day, maybe nerves with a home crowd. He was going to give him a mulligan. Didn't hear him mention defense.

He said St Francis has a good defense, their HC Chris Villarial was twice All-Pro Offensive Lineman in eleven seasons with the Bears and Bills

Then at 6:30 Wyland said VT was banged up and Brunson was practicing with the first team.

3 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

Then at 6:30 Wyland said VT was banged up and Brunson was practicing with the first team.

A few of us heard this too. Evidently he got hurt on that one series where Brunson came in...but he was stinkin up the joint before that so I don't think 'hurt' is the reason why he blew big chunks on saturday...but I'm hoping home game #2 is better for him.