UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

WNIT Round 1, Game 32 at Colgate University, Cotterel Court, Hamilton, NY Thursday, March 23, 2024, 6:00 PM

If I remember correctly, from Broadview Center, once on US Route 20, travel 90 or so miles, take a left on NY State 12B and head into Hamilton NY go past the frat houses and the athletic facilities are on the right along with parking. 

Mar 21 (Thu) 6:00 PM

at 
First Round
Hamilton, NY
ESPN_.PNG
Edited by cwdickens

UALBANY WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Danes embrace moment

UAlbany opens the WNIT with a road contest at Colgate

By Michael Kelly

WNIT FIRST ROUND: UALBANY AT COLGATE

When: 6 p.m. Thursday

Where: Cotterell Court, Hamilton, NY

Stream: ESPN+

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2024%2F03%2F21&id=Pc0170700&ext=.jpg&ts=20240321060132
Jim Franco/Times Union

UAlbany coach Colleen Mullen says her program has an expectation of playing in the postseason.

ALBANY — Colleen Mullen knows Colgate, a rebuilding women’s basketball program making its first appearance in a national postseason tournament since 2004, will be ready for Thursday night’s game.

The coach is confident, too, that her UAlbany players feel the same way about the chance to extend their season despite the disappointment they experienced earlier this month with their loss in the America East Conference semifinals.

“I think our players are really grateful for the opportunity and excited to continue to play together,” Mullen said a night ahead of the Great Danes’ Women’s National Invitation Tournament first-round game at 6 p.m. Thursday at Wesley M. Cotterell Court in Hamilton. “For (graduate students) Helene (Haegerstrand) and Sarah (Karpell), their careers are done once we’re done, so this is it for them, and I think there’s a lot of urgency for all of them to continue this great season.”

For much of the 2023-24 season, UAlbany appeared on track to make another trip to the NCAA Tournament. The Great Danes didn’t lose any games in December and January, and were 22-3 before a 3-3 finish to the conference season and postseason. UAlbany was the No. 2 seed for the America East playoffs, but fell in the semifinals to a Vermont squad that swept all three games from the Great Danes this season.

Maine defeated Vermont in the America East final to earn the America East’s spot in the NCAA Tournament. Like UAlbany, Vermont is in the WNIT.

For UAlbany (25-6), this year’s postseason bid is the second consecutive one to the WNIT after the Great Danes played in the 2022 NCAA Tournament. In all, this season’s spot in the WNIT marks the program’s 10th trip to a national postseason tournament.

“It’s an expectation that we’re in at this point,” said Mullen, who is in her sixth season with UAlbany.

For Colgate (18-13) of the Patriot League, this season marked a solid step forward. Colgate put together its second consecutive winning season for coach Ganiyat Adeduntan after the program had only had one winning season since it won the Patriot League in 2004.

At 12.1 points per game, junior guard Taylor Golembiewski leads Colgate in scoring. Four Raiders average at least nine points per game and the team is 11-6 on its home court.

“They’ve had quite the season,” Mullen said. “For their players ... there’s a lot of urgency and excitement to play in the postseason. We’re going to see a really talented, engaged team — and a great defensive team.”

UAlbany and Colgate scrimmaged during the 2023-24 preseason, and played in each of the prior two seasons. The Great Danes topped Colgate 60-39 on Dec. 5, 2021and lost to the Raiders 55-41on Nov.19, 2022.

“So our players certainly understand the level of talent we’re facing, as well as their desire,” Mullen said.

Kayla Cooper, a senior standout who said she’ll return next season to utilize her final year of eligibility, leads the Great Danes this season at 15.7 points and 7.3 rebounds per game. Among the program’s 10 players, five are averaging at least eight points per game. This season, UAlbany leads the nation in scoring defense at 50.9 points per game.

The Great Danes’ formula of relying on Cooper and their defense gave them a chance this season to chase after an America East championship. Mullen said the team took a bit of time to recover mentally from its March 11 conference postseason loss, but that she likes the way her team moved forward following that disappointment.

“Then, it was time to pivot,” Mullen said. “This is a new opportunity to compete for a championship.”

Was Helene injured? I wasn’t able to watch/hear the whole game. In any case, great season with a less than spectacular ending and they overcame a lot to put it together. 

14 hours ago, jimbo said:

Ladies look like they are playing out the string…..time to concentrate on schoolwork. 

Looked like the Ladies din not want to be there. Saw this a lot in the men's hay days --- just going through the motions after being disappointed when not making the big show. Never understood it then and still don't! I know many on this blog and across the country really put down these "extra" tournament opportunities. Is it really just all about money? Why have these thing if no one wants to play in them?  THOUGHTS/OPINIONS

It must be a major letdown to work all that time to reach a single goal…AE Championship and NCAA berth…and then after failing to achieve it, essentially be offered a consolation prize of sorts. And in this case a consolation prize of a consolation prize. A third tier tournament. So I don’t fault them if they just wanted to pack it in and move on with school and life. 

Edited by jimbo

4 hours ago, jimbo said:

Was Helene injured? I wasn’t able to watch/hear the whole game. In any case, great season with a less than spectacular ending and they overcame a lot to put it together. 

Yes, TU says she was ill and then took an elbow to the head, may have broken her nose- I saw she had gauze in her nose- but she still tried to play 

4 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

Yes, TU says she was ill and then took an elbow to the head, may have broken her nose- I saw she had gauze in her nose- but she still tried to play 

Thanks. I saw she only put in ten minutes which certainly couldn’t have helped their cause. That’s too bad. She has been a great player and I’m going to miss her. 

• Like 1

Didn't get to watch as much of the women or men as I would have liked this year but to me, this was one of Coach Mullens' best coaching jobs with all the attrition.

By the way, saw that Jillian Huerter has entered the transfer portal. She played 25 minutes a game at Rutgers. I *think" Meaghan Huerter has another year of eligibility. Would be a fun sister act next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alum73 said:

I was hoping Ford would stay. I thought she'd have a much bigger role next year. 

Perhaps, testing the waters and may have little interest in moving on.  Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 12:20 PM, Dane Pound said:

By the way, saw that Jillian Huerter has entered the transfer portal. She played 25 minutes a game at Rutgers. I *think" Meaghan Huerter has another year of eligibility. Would be a fun sister act next year.

Jill Huerter transferred to Fairfield.

Also, Mary Grimes, an Assistant under Coach Abe during the program's best years is the new Head WBB Coach at Binghamton