UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany Football Game 1 Saturday, August 31, 2024 7:00 PM vs LIU Sharks Bob Ford Field at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium

1 hour ago, jimbo said:

Help me out here…it’s 3:28 am in Spain…I’m watching live stats…are game conditions bad? Is Burkett incapable of throwing a pass downfield? I’m blind. 

Light rain thru the first quarter but none after that, light wind. McGee caught one deep but his long TD was 60+ YAC. Don’t think Burkett even threw many long balls otherwise 

All phases of the kicking was pretty good. Only one penalty, no turnovers OTOH tackling looked awful, arm Tackles plus some obvious blown coverages 

Attendance:6169  on a damp night, East side full but the berm only a couple hundred on the wet grass 

29 minutes ago, UAalum72 said:

Light rain thru the first quarter but none after that, light wind. McGee caught one deep but his long TD was 60+ YAC. Don’t think Burkett even threw many long balls otherwise 

All phases of the kicking was pretty good. Only one penalty, no turnovers OTOH tackling looked awful, arm Tackles plus some obvious blown coverages 

Attendance:6169  on a damp night, East side full but the berm only a couple hundred on the wet grass 

Thanks. Maybe the game plan was just that. LIU had a decent game against Baylor just last season so I was expecting a win, but that they’d put up a fight. So many new bodies on D and the tackling machine no longer in the middle. Was the TD from the D a strip sack or something else?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a team that plays up or down to its competition.  To many missed open field tackles.  Glad to see A92 tonight.  The family had a great time at the game.  It has been about 4 or 5 years since I was able to make a football game in person.  The band and dance team looked and sounded great.  Loved the Greek station on the northern side of the stadium.  Great time, happy to see a W, hope to make another game next year.  

First in person game since 2016.  Didnt look great but a lot of positives.

1. A lot of depth - especially defensive linemen and receivers.

2. Dontae Lunan is really good.  Looks a little undersized for a linebacker but he gets to the ball and makes tackles

3. I think everyone knows this but Woodell is really good.  A really patient runner - looks like he gets in position behind his blockers and just waits patiently for the hole to open

4. Hard to see how the defensive line played but there’s good size and athleticism

5. Winston went out in the second quarter holding his wrist.  He returned to the sidelines in the second half in street clothes wearing a sling - doesn’t look good.

6. Timon Akins was injured in the second half.  Appeared to be a leg injury.  He played well - hope he can get back

7. Special teams was great.  3 touchbacks, the kickoff return by Cooney across midfield, a couple of field goals, Lawson did a great job punting…

8. Offensive game plan seemed to be pretty conservative but I also think Burkett was a bit rusty.  There are a lot of offensive playmakers (Seven McGee and Cooney might be the best pair of athletes we’ve ever had), hoping we can find a game plan to just get them the ball in space. 

Edited by reeder
  • Like 2

From my view:

• One running behind the quarterback is not going to work often
  • Scrambling quarterbacks are going to give our defense fits
  • Four or five plays changed the outcome of the game including the LIU fumble and UAlbany recovery, 75 yard touchdown pass an Wedell's 40 yard+ run. and our two 3-point kicks

Last night, we may have gotten a shot of reality.

2 hours ago, cwdickens said:

From my view:

• One running behind the quarterback is not going to work often
  • Scrambling quarterbacks are going to give our defense fits
  • Four or five plays changed the outcome of the game including the LIU fumble and UAlbany recovery, 75 yard touchdown pass an Wedell's 40 yard+ run. and our two 3-point kicks

Last night, we may have gotten a shot of reality.

Most close games come down to a handful of plays. LIU is a pretty good team. Our defense is not on the same level yet as last years D. I think we should run the qb more like we did last year with Poff. Pull the ball and take off. My understanding is Burkett can run. Roll him out as well and run or pass.

On another point I watched the Arkansas, UMiami and Michigan games. I didn’t see Juncaj, Poff or Hall get on the field at all. Arkansas crushed Arkansas Pine Bluff and would have thought Juncaj would got in. All three could be contributing to Albany instead of sitting on the bench in the big boy league. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by MRuler 79

12 hours ago, jimbo said:

Thanks. Maybe the game plan was just that. LIU had a decent game against Baylor just last season so I was expecting a win, but that they’d put up a fight. So many new bodies on D and the tackling machine no longer in the middle. Was the TD from the D a strip sack or something else?

Fumble.QB just dropped the wet ball

11 minutes ago, MRuler 79 said:

Most close games come down to a handful of plays. LIU is a pretty good team. Our defense is not on the same level yet as last years D. I think we should run the qb more like we did last year with Poff. Pull the ball and take off. My understanding is Burkett can run. Roll him out as well and run or pass.

On another point I watched the Arkansas, UMiami and Michigan games. I didn’t see Juncaj, Poff or Hall get on the field at all. Arkansas crushed Arkansas Pine Bluff and would have thought Juncaj would got in. All three could be contributing to Albany instead of sitting on the bench in the big boy league. Just my 2 cents.

Elijh Hils had a sack for Wisconsin

17 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

The band is up over 60 members now. We’ll see if that means there are 26 flutes now 

East side full except the LIU section. Not many on berm yet

I was impressd by them

16 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Not great on either side.  We should not be struggling like this at alll. 

Almost completely new defense - new players - they will get better after playing in a game situation. LIU surprised. They have a great running game too.   Offense has to play better.  New QB, many new receivers, same for them. Game play is far different than practice.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jimbo said:

Help me out here…it’s 3:28 am in Spain…I’m watching live stats…are game conditions bad? Is Burkett incapable of throwing a pass downfield? I’m blind. 

POURING down rain most of the first half

14 hours ago, nysteve661 said:

Well West Virginia is probably pissed on how bad they were vs PSU so next week looks rough.  Have a lot of work to do to beat Idaho after that.

plus a couple very key inuries on Def.

We have numerous RB who can play  plus the new Full Back who is a good blocker - evidenced by Griff's TD, he sealed the big D tackle to open the hole.  LIU's O line is massive - huge. I suspect they are far better than last year as a team.