UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Attendance

I was pretty disappointed with the attendance last night. When we played Binghamton a couple of weeks ago, on the days leading up to the game, a number of friends, alumni and business colleagues that I had spoken to had told me they were going to be at the game. Virtually none of them came, and when I next ran into them, to a person, they all said the same thing "yeah, i was going to go, but it was kindof cold out and the game was on TV so I stayed home". And so, the question I'd like to raise is whether the arrangement with TW3 to show a lot of home games is a positive or a negative? I guess on the plus side, it gives us some exposure and gets the Capital District thinking that we are at the same level as Siena if we're on TV; but the negative neems to be the effect on attendance. Maybe it's too early to get a true read on this but so far, I don't see increased attendance resulting from people watching a prior game on TV.

Obviously, the other aspect of disappointing attendance is the students. We've been through this discussion many times and I don't possess any magical suggestions that haven't already been tried; although I thought Albany Observer's post recently about feeding students and giving them free RACC Rowdies shirts was an excellant suggestion.

I am hoping for much better attendance the next two games vs Stony Brook and at BPG. When we did a poll here earlier, it seemed that a majority of the younger (students and more recent grads) considered Stony Brook a rival. Hopefully some marketing effort can be led in this direction.

Lastly, I saw a TV spot just before the Today show this morning advertising that good seats were still available for the January home games, all of which have already been played. What a waste of a media buy.

Having the games on Time Warner is nothing but positive. Yes, you might lose a couple of people who are debating on whether to attend or watch the game on tv. However, the positive spin on this is that Will Brown can tell recruits a good portion of our games are on local television, which means kids can tape the games and send copies home for their family and friends to watch. I think the broadcasts are professionally done. Wyland does a good job because he is homer. I have been pleasantly surprised with Greg Tobben. Really calls a great game. Night and day better than Doug Mortman. Then, you have Damian Andrew doing the sideline interviews, which can be informative.

I thought the student turnout was pretty good last night. Several of the athletic teams were in the north endzone. Then, you had about ten rowdy students in the south endzone chanting defense and harassing refs and Hartford players. Also, the timeout promotions become more exciting when the students are involved and making people laugh. Great idea pumping the pep band music into the arena speakers. Last year, they had 20-30 members. This year those numbers were cut dramatically.

I still think the attendance isn't being counted properly. The RACC was atleast half full and they announce it at 1,400. We are being too honest and need to fudge our numbers a little padding it by atleast 300-400 per night.

I was one of those 10 "rowdy" students in the student section last night. We tried our best to be loud...but its sad since we really couldnt get any of the other fans to participate in our "Defense" cheers, or "Charlie" jeers, or even to raise their hands as is tradition on Albanys Free Throw Shots. Not sure what we have to do to get more energized fans into the RACC, but seriously, what is the point in coming if your going to just sit in your chair and not make any noise?

I hope that it was the cold that kept kids away from the game. It was nice to go as a fan and get on the Hartford players a bit, something I cant do on radio.

By the way, I hope to see you guys there on Saturday at 2pm for a big game for our ladies...should be an exciting one as we look to build on that big Hartford upset!! Or listen live on WCDB as Craig and I bring you the call! (If we get our voices back...haha)

I'm happy to say that I, too, was one of those 10 roudy fans in the south endzone. I enjoy all the games, but had a freakin BLAST at this one. I'm usually hoarse for a couple hours after each game from chanting and such but I am STILL without a voice right now. I tried to talk in my class this morning when my prof asked a question and nothing came out when I tried to answer him...lol.

As for the attendence numbers, somemthing was DEF wrong with the only 1400+ that was the official announcement. First off, to comment on McFan's post, students actually (at least officially) do need tix, but they are free and are given out when you show your ID when you get there. But a lot of people, especially ones who are fairly well known on campus, aren't asked to grab a ticket for addmitance and therefore hurt the official numbers, even though they come to most of the games.

In addition, the whole not needing a ticket thing after the half I think hurts our numbers, especially it terms of students coming and with the VERY cold weather. I admit it, us students are often lazy (or we have class, work on campus, etc.) and have to come to the games late and therefore are not counted in the official numbers.

I also think Hartford is going to be one of the weaker draws in terms of students for us. Most students haven't heard of the school, but I think games against Stony Brook and Bingo will be much better. But all in all, the crowd was DEF a lot louder I think than usual, even Coach Brown mentioned it in post-game talks.

In terms of overall play, Jamar had some SICK lay-ups and drives, especially the last bucket of the game. It's amazing how he even gets a shot off in those situations, let alone that the ball goes in.

And I LOVED how "Zo" (as us roudy 10 as now decided to call him) played. Swinging arms, bumping hard into his defender when he received the ball in the post, a couple dunks. He "only" ended up with 6 pts and 7 boards, but he altered SO many shots and killed a lot of Cook and Ford's drives into the lanes. B. Wilson also had a good night with 7pts and 7 rebounds.

Sorry Nuss, I'll try to be more energetic when the Evil Empire comes to town next week. You guys did a nice job though. It's too bad the rest of the students were on the other end of the court and could not be swept up in your chants from so far away. There used to be a designated student section so a handful of "rowdies" like yourself could incite the whole section. Personally, I miss the flag guy.

I'm on the fence about the TV games. It seemed at first there used to be some extra excitement about them but I don't get that feeling anymore. I do really like the televised road games but we don't have much of that this year. AO is right about it being a good recruiting tool.

i was also a member of the 10 psycho paths in the student section. Like some of you said, what made me upset was that only 10 of us were getting into the game, making noise etc...while everyone else sat like lumps on a log. the crowed was 1,400-1,500...best i have ever seen for a non-purple growl game there.

I have heard many people talking about when Vermont comes to town. People want to get a chance to see the Coppinboy and his gang, since many think they are NBA material. So i expect a very big attendence for Vermont. I think the -5 wind chill played a big factor.

Go Danes Go -

Keep up the good work. I think the players and other fans appreciate your enthusiasm.

Do us all a favor and go see Charlie Voelker and get that UAlbany flag going again!!!!!! There is no reason why that shouldn't be out every game. Plus, the flag serves as a distraction when opposing teams shoot free throws. Believe it or not, that flag alone could end up determining a win or loss.

We all talk about establishing tradition. That is a perfect example of something small, but could become unique for our team and program.

I think one of you ten ring leaders need to talk to the athletic department about getting t-shirts with some kind of slogan -- "RACC Rowdies", "Will's Wackies". I am positive they would cover the costs.

Had a great time at last night's game - definitely believe there were more than 1400 in the seats. I was dissappointed in the student turnout although I did appreicate the small, but VERY vocal group in the South stands. But where were the painted faces, the flag guy, the (defunct?) Dane Pound, etc.? I think the TV coverage, the band, the dance team, cheerleaders and mascots all add great atmosphere to the games - but still don't see the fan support.

No question that the opponent, more wins, and more reasonable weather will bring more fans.

As crowd size increases, so do parking problems. People who come to the game and have to park in the Dutch lot have a long, cold walk to the RACC. In weather like last night, this is a big deterrent. Suggest that they set up shuttles that fans can hop on before and after the games - even charge a nominal fee for the service.

Had a related problem arise with a friend and long-time UA sportsfan who had a parking pass but was turned away when the lot bacame full. He was furious in that he missed 4 minutes of game time. This kind of mistake is inexcusable and needs to be remedied.

Also believe shuttles should be established from the front of the dorms to the RACC. Not sure if this is logistically feasible, but students won't even go to the campus center to catch a bus if walking in arctic weather is involved. Also don't think free admission is enough although freebies, contests, and fun should be continued and well communicated.

Thanks for the complements guys....I certainly had a blast and I bet most everyone could hear us even though we were only 10 strong. I agree we need to get some tshirts...(I was in the Dane Pound last year and have my old one)...Jordan, Brian and I were the only ones wearing Albany stuff....so we need to get more coordinated. Last year we had the flag and pizza prior to games....still only attracted about 15 people to each game...one of us should look into this.

Again I encourage you guys to be just as rowdy in Craig and my sted at the womens game on Saturday at 2pm.

Also believe shuttles should be established from the front of the dorms to the RACC. Not sure if this is logistically feasible, but students won't even go to the campus center to catch a bus if walking in arctic weather is involved. Also don't think free admission is enough although freebies, contests, and fun should be continued and well communicated.

They tried that last year (and I don't know if they are doing it still this year) and it was a complete dud. Students weren't sure exactly what time the bus was coming/leaving or would want to leave on their own time. Maybe the better season we are having would help that a bit, but I don't know.

I'll email Charlie (I've met him a few times about different things so luckily he knows who I am) and see if he can help us out with "RACC Rowdies" T-shirts or something. And I will also tell the "flagman" that his flag waving skills are requested..lol.

About the lack of facepaint, I apologize..lol. I came straight from leaving a 3-hour class and didn't have time to throw any on. I tried to get my yellow wig as well, which was in the trunk of my car, but both of my front doors and the trunk were frozen shut! Good thing there weren't any young children with good hearing around me at the time. :)

I'm already looking at the SBU roster for someone to take the place of the chants for our good friend "Charlie" last night. Any helpers out there with suggestions??? ;)