UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

It appears UA gets a Big One

The Scouting Network......

GIFFORD COMMITS TO ALBANY

The Division I Albany, New York Great Danes were one of the first schools to offer 6'11 Brett Gifford a scholarship and then had to win a recruiting battle over several highly regarded mid major programs as Gifford's stock accelerated throughout the summer playing for Team Missouri.

The persistence paid off for Albany, as the Columbia Rockbridge senior committed today to this America East conference rising program. Albany was recently picked to win the conference this season by Street and Smith's College Basketball Yearbook. Finalists in the recruiting process for Gifford were Utah State and UW Milwaukee.

Just for general Info Gifford's final three were Utah State 49-12 the last two years, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee 46-17 the last two years and little ole Albany. Gifford was offered and had officially visited all three schools.

From Rivals Missouri Message Board.....

scoutnet

user profile

Post #289 Brett has taken visits to... Reply

Albany, UW-Milwaukee and Utah State. He has offers from all three. He is likely to sign early and may have an announcement very soon...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa....sign BROWN NOW.

So, in the past two years he has recruited:

6'8 Connelly

6'7 Covington---man-child

6'9 Yocum

6'5 Anderson (Swing forward)

6'11 (though I read 6'9 on numerous sites) Gifford.

If 3 of the four bigmen pan out.....we will be in very, very good shape.

Wow, that's some terrific company to be recruiting with. Sounds like a fantastic recruit, maybe the jem of this class. Started out his junior year 6'7 and has grown over last school year and this summer-maybe took some time to adjust to the growth but has taken off over the summer. Like Yokum and Anderson he'll be one of the top players on one of the top teams in his state.

Wow, that's some terrific company to be recruiting with. Sounds like a fantastic recruit, maybe the jem of this class. - Dane Pound

I believe that this could be UA's best gets since Jamar and maybe more important because it is extremely difficult to recruit bigs at the AE level.

6'11 (though I read 6'9 on numerous sites) Gifford.Dane 96

From the Rivals Missouri HS site

scoutnet

user profile

Post #287 He is a legit 6'11 and... 

He will be playing division I basketball at one of the following schools:

Utah State, Albany or UW Milwaukee in 2007. Brett worked really hard to get where he is, and improved tremendously over the summer. He is just scratching the surface of his potential.

Crazy thing is that 6'9", 6'10" or 6'11" really doesn't matter because it seems like he may still be growing - if what Dane Pound says is true that he was 6'7" at the beginning of his JR year.

Just curious if anyone saw Wyland's story on the verbal. I missed it but there was a reference to it on the $iena board.

As far as another signing I think this is the fourth verbal although I don't know who the other one is from. It would make sense for another guard but we might have to wait for letter of intents to come in to find out.

Just curious if anyone saw Wyland's story on the verbal. I missed it but there was a reference to it on the $iena board.

As far as another signing I think this is the fourth verbal although I don't know who the other one is from. It would make sense for another guard but we might have to wait for letter of intents to come in to find out.

9949[/snapback]

Wait whos Wyland? Is he a fourth Recruit? Anyone know anything about this? Where is it on the Siena Board?

http://www.fox23news.com/sports/local/stor...58-6C97ECE518FA

Here is the Link to Gifford Article on Fox 23. I liked in particular that he wanted to play right away, and he liked our academics, proof that we are not totally viewed as a party school.

Again a great great dane pick up now does anyone know anything about a recruit named Wyland? I don't know if I miss read Dane Pounds Post is Wyland a recruit or a journalist?

B9, you a freshman? Rodger Wyland is a) sports anchor on WNYT-13; b ) play-by-play man for UAlbany football and basketball on FOX-980 am radio and TW-3 local cable; and c) if you're from another college in the area, he's UAlbany's paid flack/apologist/cheerleader/suckup in the media.

However, Friday night Andrew Catalon did CH. 13's sports, as Rodger was already on the way to PA for today's football game. I don't recall that he had any opinion on Giffford, saying only that Albany got another big guy.

Edited by UAalum72

Sadly I'm not a Freshman, am an Alum I just couldn't remember what his name was probably because if there ever was a home game I would be at the game, and if the football or basketball teams were away I didn't turn the radio for the play by play. So thats why I never knew who he was. But I will know his name from now on.

"I didn’t want to wait and possibly get recruited over because I wasn't progressing as fast as they'd like."

Great perspective for this kid. Think about all the bigs that don't progress at the high majors as projected. Some end up sitting on the bench for a long time and some transfer - Zoellner was in a similar situation at BC. Also look at Brian Butch at Wisconsin.

October 22, 2005

Midwestern Sleeper headed to Albany...

By Van Coleman van@hoopmasters.com

One of the Midwest's best kept secrets 6-11 250-pound Brett Gifford is headed to Albany...

According to sources close to his recruiting 6-11 250-pound Brett Gifford from Columbia, MO Rock Bridge has made his college decision and is headed to Albany.

This Missouri big man flew a little under the radar because he only participated in a couple summer events held in the Midwest. He has a good set of hands, runs the court well, and soft touch in the paint.

He averaged 14.9 points, 11.5 rebounds, and 3 blocks per game as a junior as Rock Bridge finished 20-6 and won the District title.

Gifford chose Albany over interest from Wisconsin Milwaukee, Utah State, UMKC, SW Missouri State, and Utah State.

How about the Siena rejects like Tony claiming all Albany's recruits are not rated high.

Look at all the overhyped recruits at Siena. Mensah, Al Fisher, Sniedzyk(graduated), Tay Fisher.

How about all the new studs McCaffrey brought in! A Juco center who averaged 1ppg and another 6'4 JUCO PF who had no other offers!

Check out the Siena board!

This Gifford kid is suppose to be a stiff according to Tony. Kid chose albany over NCAA "Sweet 16" UW-Milwaukee and west coast mid major power Utah St.

Siena fans are great!!!! Cause they can't get any decent players they put down others!

More on Gifford from Hoopmasters...

Brett Gifford

Current Competition Level: High School

Graduating Class: 2006

School: Rock Bridge

Columbia, MO

Height: 6-11 Weight: 250

Primary Position: Center

Points Per Game: 14.9

Rebounds Per Game: 11.5

Blocks Per Game: 3.0

Game Profile:

Active big man went under radar because he only played in two summer tournaments. But has tools to make an immediate impact at mid major programs.

Commitment Level: Verbally committed

Recruiting Information

Albany VERBAL COMMITMENT

Ball State

Illinois State

SE Missouri State

SW Missouri State

UMKC

Utah State

Wisconsin Milwaukee